What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Contact list is empty

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Contact list is empty
Author: Message:
zefijo

O.P. Contact list is empty
Hello

I use WLM 9 beta, so I have also upgraded to Messenger Plus 4.5.
But this version has a very strange behaviour. My contact list is now empty.
I have tried to uninstall Messenger Plus 4.5 but the contact is still empty. If I reinstall WLM 8.5 the problem remains the same.

What can I do ?
12-01-2007 08:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Contact list is empty
Wait a minute there. There isn't an available version of MP!L anywhere that works with 9.0

This post was edited on 12-01-2007 at 09:05 PM by Rolando.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
12-01-2007 09:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Stick to 8.5? If you have access to the beta you will know where to seek help, this is not the place. Have you tried a fresh install of 8.5? Imported a previously saved contactlist?

Also i'd like to know where you got Plus! 4.50...

You should only trust downloads from official sources, this goes for Windows Live Messenger and Plus! ( http://www.msgplus.net )

This post was edited on 12-01-2007 at 09:18 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-01-2007 09:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zefijo
Hello

I use WLM 9 beta, so I have also upgraded to Messenger Plus 4.5.
But this version has a very strange behaviour. My contact list is now empty.
I have tried to uninstall Messenger Plus 4.5 but the contact is still empty. If I reinstall WLM 8.5 the problem remains the same.

What can I do ?
It might be well possible that you have downloaded and installed a virus/trojan. There is no Messenger Plus! 4.5 (yet).

As said by the others, you should NEVER EVER download and install stuff from unofficial sources.

This isn't the first time that a bogus Messenger Plus! is made which clears all your settings and contactlist and who knows do what else, it has happened before....

Uninstall everything, including WLM9, etc. Remove all directories of Messenger and this so-called-messenger plus. Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and do a complete systemscan with a decent antivirus and spyware checker!

NEVER EVER download and install stuff from unofficial sources.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-02-2007 01:15 PM
Shiny Rabbit

oohhh shiny

– / Male / Flag
he could well be a MP!L beta tester, and i can only pray that is true for his sake
[Image: 202-3.png][Image: shinyhachunesig.png]

12-02-2007 03:20 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Rabbit
he could well be a MP!L beta tester, and i can only pray that is true for his sake
If he were a MsgPlus! Live beta tester he would have this tag under his name: [Image: mptester.gif]
12-02-2007 03:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
zefijo

O.P. RE: Contact list is empty
I have downloaded it in a comment with a rapidshare link from a news about WLM 9.
Now some others people say it was a virus and the comment has been modified.

You say to never download from unofficial sources but if the product is not available on official sources we don't have other choice than downloading on others sites.

I will try to format my hard drive I hope it will restore my contact list.

This post was edited on 12-02-2007 at 09:13 PM by zefijo.
12-02-2007 09:12 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
You say to never download from unofficial sources but if the product is not available on official sources we don't have other choice than downloading on others sites.
if its not available on them IT MEANS ITS NOT AVAILABLE AT ALL!
12-03-2007 02:16 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Contact list is empty
quote:
I have downloaded it in a comment with a rapidshare link from a news about WLM 9.
Now some others people say it was a virus and the comment has been modified.

I will try to format my hard drive I hope it will restore my contact list.

your contact list is stored on servers, not locally

try logging into http://webmessenger.msn.com and seeing if your contact list is downloaded properly

if you're using a leaked copy of WLM 9.0 it is quite possible that it would not download your contact list from the server as you're not supposed to have access to it and therefore your contacts wouldn't be available on that server.

reformatting your hard-drive will definitely not solve any problem of this nature

re-install 8.5, and try that, if your contact list still doesn't appear properly, see via webmessenger (link above).....if it appears then, then you will have to clear your local cache in order to force WLM to re-download your contact list, but it might not come to that

This post was edited on 12-03-2007 at 02:24 AM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes, 41 seconds ago
12-03-2007 02:24 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
As Nanafreak already pointed out, if there is no official source it means no official version exists. Especially with free programs like Messenger Plus! there is no reason what-so-ever that a working version would not be made public on an official source! So NEVER download something like that from unofficial untrusted sources.

Using unofficial stuff means using stuff which might be malicious, buggy, not working, etc. Stuff which might be FAKE and NOT do what it promisses to do.

This is EXACTLY how virusses and other malicous stuff spread and work. A malicious program is never going to advertise itself as something good, it wil always try to trick you.

--------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
your contact list is stored on servers, not locally
Although that is true, a local client (read: malicious program) can easly wipe the contactlist. When the protocol is used properly (which is not that difficult to do), the remote contactlist on the servers is updated, meaning it is wipe too...

How else are local changes (eg: contacts adding, blocking, removing, etc) recorded on the servers?

Nevertheless, it will indeed never hurt to try to access your contactlist via webmessenger.

quote:
reformatting your hard-drive will definitely not solve any problem of this nature
It will indeed not restore his contactlist.

But it WILL get rid of the malicious program. If you don't remove the malicious program you can try to fix what you want, it will wipe the contactlist again and again until the program is removed.

quote:
re-install 8.5, and try that
It is this on its own which would do no good at all! Simply reinstalling 8.5 will solve nothing at all. The malicious program wont be removed.

And if only the local cache of the contactlist was wiped (lets hope for that), just re-installing 8.5 would actually increase the chances that the local (empty) list is copied to the servers, wiping everything permanently. In other words, it might do even more damage.

Hence why it was suggested to uninstall everything, including Windows Live Messenger itself, manually removing any left-over directories, rebooting the computer in safe mode, doing a system wide scan/cleanage, and only then reinstall Windows Live Messenger again.

-------------------------

To add to all this: the Messenger protocol does not allow for removing contacts just like that. Both parties (you and the contact) must delete eachother before the link between the two is completely gone.

This means that your contactlist might still be able to be retrieved via a workaround. Check with a tool, like Noroom's Listmanager, who has added you on their contactlist list (this is called the Reverse List). From this list you can start adding everyone back again (I believe this is even directly possible via Noroom's listmanager).

And because your contacts didn't deleted you, they wont recieve a "xxx has requested to be added" notification either, so they wont be bothered.

This post was edited on 12-03-2007 at 03:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-03-2007 03:20 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: