What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Whats up with the hourly database defrag?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Whats up with the hourly database defrag?
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Whats up with the hourly database defrag?
What database would that be?  What's contained in it?  The contact list isn't much data to defrag and the chat history is stored in XML files if you even keep it.  Would this have something to do with sharing folders, a feature I don't use?
12-08-2007 06:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ina_don

O.P. RE: Whats up with the hourly database defrag?
Just look at your Event Viewer. I know some of you just run and probably don't monitor what your PCs do and thats what M$ likes to take advantage of. Sooner than later you find your PC is slower and blame it on the hardware and all.

I'll check the reducemem script to see what it does and if that is convincing then it might be the way to go. I have Pidgin already but its also prone to corrupting itself [at least from my experience with it] but I already use it anyway.

Thanks for all the constructive responses...
Adeptus I'll check to see if my sharing folders is on. But even then, unless you are running that with a lot of files then it would make sense for hourly defrags. If I don't even remember if its in use then I'd say the db is barely changing if it has anything in it to warrant those defrags.
12-09-2007 01:07 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ina_don
Just look at your Event Viewer. I know some of you just run and probably don't monitor what your PCs do and thats what M$ likes to take advantage of.

if microsoft wanted to take advantage of people not knowing what their computer is doing, why would they write to (or even have invented) the event log in the first place?

also, where exactly in my eventlog should i be looking for these "hourly database defrags?"

quote:
I'll check the reducemem script to see what it does and if that is convincing then it might be the way to go.

DON'T USE reducemem.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-09-2007 01:12 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ina_don

Adeptus looks like you were on point. I checked through the log messages properly again and I spotted the database name and location and that gave it away... dfsr.db was the database being defragged and its a sharing database. Hopefully that reduces some of its nuisance...

Some of these things seem minor but can be heck funny... Yeah like I also have a Microsoft Office sessions Log now. [I use 2007] Is the product so error prone or something of the sort it needs a trail?????

Thanks once again. I'll now work on the mem consumption
ShawnZ what are you trying to say because I don't even get you...? I came to the forum to get a solution not some one telling me the obvious... Yes M$ have done so many things and not all of them have been right. It serves them no better to hide the information because like it or not it still comes out. M$ products though closed source still have people calling out their mistakes and problems some times with pin point accuracy so make a valid point than just a whole load of drivel ...

If you dont know where to look in the Event viewer then it just serves to close my case with you and it would appear you are one of those who barely check whats going on with their PCs. Mind you not everyone who uses wlM has plus! installed or knows what plus! is or that it exists. Most such people are just pure users who only work with what they see in front and what they've been shown only.
12-09-2007 01:23 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
ShawnZ what are you trying to say

i'm trying to call you an elitist idiot.

quote:
It serves them no better to hide the information because like it or not it still comes out.

they're not hiding anything, since they clearly alert you to what it's doing (you said yourself, it's in the event log, something that applications must willingly submit information to) even though the log is something most users don't typically know about (but then again, most users don't know what a database is either)

quote:
If you dont know where to look in the Event viewer then it just serves to close my case with you and it would appear you are one of those who barely check whats going on with their PCs

uh, i don't check the event viewer every hour because that isn't what it's for. if an event occurs that i want to know more about, i'll open the event viewer (hence the name.) if messenger uses a little bit more memory than usual every hour, i'll just have to accept that messenger is a badly coded program, and no matter how much i know about what it's doing, there's no way i can fix it.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-09-2007 02:34 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ina_don,

The memory usage of Messenger has got nothing todo with Messenger Plus!.

Enabling sharing folders in Messenger invokes the DFS Replication service.

This service doesn't use any cpu power as long as you don't put gigabytes of data into the sharing folders (sharing folders is not for sharing warez, etc). It might be started hourly, but I can ont imagine that it takes a lot of resources if you just have a couple of small files in your sharing folders. Maintaining a 'database' of a few KB doesn't require a lot of cpu resources, and doesn't take long.

If you experience slow downs the chances are high it comes from somewhere else.

Just disable sharing folders for starters. If it doesn't 'fix' it, then report it to Microsoft. That is why there is a feedback menu in Messenger.

PS: oh, and if people ask for more details about your problem so they can look into it, then it is nice to provide more details instead of heaving a "since you ask that I assume you're dumb and I close my eyes to you"-attitude. Shawnz is absolutely correct in saying that not everybody stares at their event logs. And searching in event logs which probably contain thousands of entries for something you don't have any details about is also as good as impossible.

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 04:29 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-09-2007 04:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ina_don

ShawnZ I think you an imbecile... Go screw yourself and let those who want to help and solve issues do so you self righteous bigot...

I want to thank anyone who was constructive here and not coming out to be righteous abt M$. I asked abt a service that was running in the background that was not called out rightfully in the first place by M$.

I wont waste energy arguing with stupid people who want to argue about side issues when there is an issue that needed addressing. Those knowledgeable enough just went ahead and addressed the real issue without spending their useful time tying their undies in a bunch.

Once again thanks to all those who helped.

Oh btw... Cookie Revised I think your comment was well meant except for involving yourself with ShawnZ at the end. I don't want to call out things I'll let it pass. I think some of these issues can first be dealt with in different arena before they're taken to M$ thats why I'm checking if there is anything particular about my installation causing the problem.

Later.....
12-09-2007 09:05 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: