What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » is this a bug?

is this a bug?
Author: Message:
Stormsight

O.P. is this a bug?
i apologize if there is already a topic for this but im new and wasnt able to find anything similar..

ok i am witnessing a starnge thing that heppens.
i use  lastest version of plus i think (4.23.0.276) and lastest of windows live messenger (8.1) on my windows xp
i have 2 accounts on one i use encrypting for my archives and on one not.
i log in with my first account and everything is ok, all options are looking good, but if i enter with the other account and put different options they change also for the first one.. is this supposed to happen?
i mean, i dont want the archives to be encripted in the second account, and everything is ok, but if i go in options i find the box for encrypting cheched(WHY?) so i uncheck the box, but it changes also in my first acc..
then i thought the problem was probably in me, so i told him "save my preferences with password" in my first acc. the curious thing is that i was able to change that options from the other acc even if they were protected with password and without any need of entering it..
am i doing anything wrong? if so tell me please, or if it is a bug maybe you can move this thead in bugs report.
12-11-2007 01:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: is this a bug?
latest versions are:
Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1018
Messenger Plus! Live 4.50.0.310

and I think this happens because the data is stored in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER which loads up for the 2nd account and that... but i thought it should still do it by email...
12-11-2007 02:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Stormsight

O.P. RE: is this a bug?
now i have the real lastest versions, and have same problem,
i didnt understand what did you mean "do it by email"???
12-11-2007 05:26 PM
Shiny Rabbit

oohhh shiny

– / Male / Flag
he means that it makes a new regestry key by email adresses used(correct me if im wrong)
[Image: 202-3.png][Image: shinyhachunesig.png]

12-11-2007 08:39 PM
Stormsight

the emails i use are different, so why i still get the options that are the same for both accounts? it is not a real problem but it is annoying, couse also other ppl uses wlm and plus on this pc
12-11-2007 09:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Stormsight
i log in with my first account and everything is ok, all options are looking good, but if i enter with the other account and put different options they change also for the first one.. is this supposed to happen?
Absolutely not...

And that could indeed be a big bug which should be fixed asap before people get into trouble...

EDIT:

It seems that the regisrty key 'ChatLogEncrypt' is not read in upon signing in with another account (no problem with that though), but also is not read when you open the preferences panel for log encryption. This makes that the preference panel shows the wrong setting for "encrypt chat logs" if there wasn't yet a log created.

However, and this is to ease to pain on Stormsight a bit :D, that specific registry setting will be read in before chatlogs are created! This means that logs will be encrypted or not encrypted if you don't want it to. So, although the settings is shown wrong in the preference panel, the workings of the encryption is correct.

--------------------------------------------
RELATED NOTE:
@Stormsight

The option "seperate logs in different messenger accounts" is a bit ackward too. Although Plus! will tell you that you need to restart Messenger, this can give troubles also.

Imagine one person wanting to seperate his logs in different subdirectories for his 2 accounts, but another person (the annoying little sister :p) turns this option back off in her account. Of course, in that case the big brother should slap little sis with a large trout and tell her to make her own log directory, or maybe the big brother should make another Windows account for his little sister, but still... :p

The reason for this is that "ChatLogInUserDir" (the registry value for this option) is saved and read in the GlobalSettings subkey and thus not saved per-user.

So, @Patchou: in regards to the ChatLogInUserDir key: maybe add in the tooltip the text that this option is saved per Windows-account, not per-Messenger-account, just like with the polygamy option. ;)

@Stormsight again: But in regards to showing the correct state of the "seperate logs in different messenger accounts" option: it is read and written correctly. It is just not very clear to the user that this will also influence other Messenger-accounts too...

--------------------------------------------

EDIT: to the others: it doesn't matter what options he checked for the archiving, that wouldn't solve it (refering to the option "seperate logs in different messenger accounts" in Plus! 4.50). Plus! doesn't read out the correct registry options when you sign off and sign back in with another Messenger account.
PS: always also trying todo what has been explained by the top poster might be wise before replying ;)

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 11:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 09:55 PM
Stormsight

ohh thanks :D i feel important now^^, so this will be fixed in new version? cool ! :P

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 10:09 PM by Stormsight.
12-11-2007 10:07 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
After some checking, it seems that the bug is not so severe as first thought... see my previous, edited, post for more info. ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 10:54 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Fixed for the next version refresh, thank you for reporting :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-12-2007 06:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: