What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?

Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
Author: Message:
Spectrum

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
Hello. This is my first post here.

Earlier today my comp crashed badly, forcing me to create a new user profile and copy over data. Alas, not all data could be copied.

And now MSN is acting weird. It doesn't show chat logs properly. I've been in the preferences menu and told it to save logs, using the same folder that contains my old logs from before the crash.

But it only displays the new messages from after the crash, not the old ones.

The really strange part is that if I go into the folder with the logs and manually open the HTML files, I see a file containing both the old AND the new chats with a given guy. But inside MSN, the old messages are not displayed.

Can anyone help? How can I make it show all my logs?

Thanks.
- Spectrum
12-12-2007 08:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live can save your conversations to hard drive seperately but in different default directories. You started to understand the problem now, didn't you???

Messenger Plus! Live can save your chats in either HTML or TXT files. But as far as I know Windows Live Messenger can save them only in XML files.

I understand that you made Plus! to save your new conversations to the same directory of Plus! so they are resuming.

But Windows Live Messenger saves them in a new directory because you have switched to a new Windows account. It was saving them under, for example, C:\Documents and Settings\old account\Recevied Files\your messenger e-mail address, but it is saving them now under C:\Documents and Settings\new account\Received Files\your messenger e-mail address. So I believe you can still reach the old files from the first path I wrote.

But if you ask me, while saving them with Plus!, you don't need WLM's own logs.
12-18-2007 09:49 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Spectrum

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live can save your conversations to hard drive seperately but in different default directories. You started to understand the problem now, didn't you???

Messenger Plus! Live can save your chats in either HTML or TXT files. But as far as I know Windows Live Messenger can save them only in XML files.

I understand that you made Plus! to save your new conversations to the same directory of Plus! so they are resuming.

But Windows Live Messenger saves them in a new directory because you have switched to a new Windows account. It was saving them under, for example, C:\Documents and Settings\old account\Recevied Files\your messenger e-mail address, but it is saving them now under C:\Documents and Settings\new account\Received Files\your messenger e-mail address. So I believe you can still reach the old files from the first path I wrote.

But if you ask me, while saving them with Plus!, you don't need WLM's own logs.
Thanks for the reply. I was about to abandon hope of receiving advice in this thread. :)

However, I have all my logs in one folder, and both WVM and Plus are set to save them to (and thus, presumably, read them from) that same folder. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I've also tried disabling the WLM standard logging, using only the one in Plus, as you suggested, but that didn't affect this problem.
12-18-2007 10:07 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
So you mean, the Plus! logs are resuming correctly (can be html or txt) but WLM logs (the XML ones) displays only the new conversations? OK, then can you see a second XML file with your contact's address there which is different from the current ones ( in which you see only the new conversation histroy)?

Also can you please make clear that
quote:
Originally posted by Spectrum
But inside MSN, the old messages are not displayed.
What do you mean with "inside MSN"?
12-18-2007 10:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Spectrum

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
quote:
So you mean, the Plus! logs are resuming correctly (can be html or txt) but WLM logs (the XML ones) displays only the new conversations?
I've checked again, and apparently the Plus logs (HTML format) contain both old and new chats, but the WLM ones (XML) contain only the new chats, as you say.

quote:
OK, then can you see a second XML file with your contact's address there which is different from the current ones ( in which you see only the new conversation histroy)?
Yes, I did a search and I found the folder containing my old logs before the crash. :)

quote:
Also can you please make clear that
quote:
Originally posted by Spectrum
But inside MSN, the old messages are not displayed.
What do you mean with "inside MSN"?
I mean when I click "show message history" inside the WLM, by right-clicking a contact, or inside the chat window itself. As opposed to manually going into the folder and opening up the HTML files in a browser.

Can the WLM only display its own logs internally? Can it not display the Plus logs, too?
12-18-2007 11:38 PM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
WLM logs and Plus! logs are completely different, therefore you are correct in saying that WLM will only show logs internally made by WLM itself.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-18-2007 11:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spectrum

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Old chat logs not showing up - how to fix?
Anyway, I solved the problem. After realizing that I needed the standard WLM logs rather than the Plus ones, I searched for the old XML files, found them and copied them into the right folder.

Thanks for the help. :)
12-22-2007 12:45 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: