What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
I think I remember correctly, especially since I'm running Plus!3 atm. It doesn't hide Messenger. It is still visible.
It is the Boss Protection which actually hides (read: changes) the icon.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I am happy because I didn't mean what you worry about Cookie (Smilie)
Then explain what you mean, because as far as I can tell that popup will be shown when you click the icon, telling you what shortcut you need to press or what else you must do:
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
To unlock it, according to your prefs, you need to press blahblah

PS: Actually, it wouldn't help at all I'm afraid! Because those people who come here asking how to unlock, don't even know what to do, let alone they know that they need to click on the (changed) icon in the system tray to start with. It is exactly that what we need to explain again and again.

So how are they going to get this popup if they even don't know they must click the (changed) system stray icon?

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 10:58 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-13-2007 10:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Remember, the lock feature comes from two old features: Boss Protection (which hide the windows, but didn't locked anything) and Messenger Lock (which locked messenger with a password, but didn't hide anything).
quote:
I remember correctly, it didn't hide Messenger. It was still visible.
It was the Boss Protection which actually hide (read: change) the icon.
So in Messenger Lock, it still hides the windows but not changes the systray icon, for Boss Protection, it changes the icon as well. So "didn't hide anything" is wrong, that is what I object.

And also, people doesn't read things before using features, but then they come here and cry "How can I unlock my Messenger?:'("

Cookie, you misunderstood my point in the first place but I am not surprised because this is not the first!

See my screenshot: It says "You have just locked Messenger for the first time." You know what "just" means, I believe...
12-13-2007 10:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
@Cookie : no, he wants to spawn a warning on activation of the feature, not on clicking the disguised icon.

@ahmetgns : AFAIC Messenger Lock used to "hide" the windows, but _not_ the system tray icon, thus defeating any "stealth" usage.

I can't remember either when I first used this feature, as I simply never use it =P
And you got a point about the contactList menuItem, and for that one (and only that one), a "first time popup" could be handy for those people who're like "WoW, Messenger Lock? let's see what happens if I click on that".

I still really dislike the idea of having two consecutive popups, as it's just... weird -_- (and annoying, and un-user-friendly, and ...)
[Image: rdmazu.php]
12-13-2007 10:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:rolleyes:

How are people going to know they need to click the changed icon to get that popup in the first place?
12-13-2007 10:59 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
quote:

How are people going to know they need to click the changed icon to get that popup in the first place?
Hu?!
12-13-2007 11:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
@Cookie : no, he wants to spawn a warning on activation of the feature, not on clicking the disguised icon.

His screenshot reads "unlock now". He explained everything for when the user unlocks his messenger. The popup is going to show when the user unlocks Messenger, no?

Hence my question: how are people going to get that popup which tells them how to unlock, if they don't know what to do to get that popup in the first place (which would be clicking on the systemtray icon or pressing a shortcut key)?

Its like handing over an evelop to someone with instructions inside on how to open the envelop.......

Unless I'm missing something or didn't read it correctly.

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 11:09 PM by CookieRevised.
12-13-2007 11:02 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
"WoW, Messenger Lock? let's see what happens if I click on that".
:rofl: excited people.

apatik, don't worry that much, you'll see these popups a few times in your life time.
quote:
Yes, activating the unlock. His screenshot also reads "unlock now". He explained everything for when the user unlocks his messenger.
hehe, I put that "Unlock now" button there (in fact I didn't put anything, I only modified strings for "Messenger Lock Shortcut" window) becasuse I believe everyone who locks messenger for the first time were trying the feature, before they need it really, so Unlock Now can unlock it easily for that specific case. :) and I didn't want to erase that button from there.

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 11:10 PM by ahmetgns.
12-13-2007 11:04 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
eh wth? I think everyone is talking at cross purposes here..

Basically, all we need is to add information on how to unlock Messenger to the information window that pops up the first time a user tries to lock Messenger. :p

At the moment, it just says that this will hide all windows but doesn't give any information on how to unlock it again.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
12-13-2007 11:14 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
@Cookie : hmmm, true, I didn't notice the "Unlock now" button which is quite out of place IMO.
But I think what ahmetgns meant here was more "Cancel locking, I was just fooling around as the useless user I am", or something similar.
Apart from that button, the information in the popup makes it pretty clear that it's meant to be displayed on entering lock mode. It's how I understand it anyway.

@ahmetgns : Being active on the (official) french support forums, I'm as tired as you of the "locked out of messenger please help meh poor soul" threads, but well, I don't know if such a measure would change anything... Newbz will still be newbz.

And I don't worry for me, but just find me an example of a software prompting two popups consecutively? There's none (ok, maybe a handful), because that's just nonsense :-/

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 11:18 PM by Apatik.
12-13-2007 11:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
ahmetgns meant here was more "Cancel locking, I was just fooling around as the useless user I am", or something similar.
:rofl: @ your exact descriptions

@andrey, your method is wrong, please read my previous posts carefully for "Why??".

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 11:21 PM by ahmetgns.
12-13-2007 11:19 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: