What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
Dunno about the USA or anywhere else but UK TV is flooded with them at the moment and they're always crap and never make sense EVER.

Sure I'm a creative person but I always think that perfume ads are just shite, over the top and completely irrelevant to the product.

My personal hates at the moment are 'Stella McCartney' which has some terrible CG animated flower/smoke unfolding what makes it terrible mostly is the music and the ad is cut about and edited and just looks horrible. And it's shown ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!

There's some other one which has some bloke standing in a room the camera circles around him twice then stops and he looks at it then it shows the perfume bottle, what the hell? the bloke looks pretty annoyed anyway. Not like "fashionably moody", just depressed/pissed off.

Weebls-Stuff did a pretty funny edit of Sarah Jessica Parkers Perfume ad for 'lovely' http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Lovely/

but seriously I can't be the only one who thinks they're the worst adverts on TV.

I think the most consistently creative and effective adverts I've ever seen have been for cars (Honda's imagine adverts, Skoda's cake car, most other ads are very creative too with great video and animated effect combinations etc)  then probably beer adverts (Guinness and Stella Artois spring to mind) :)

This post was edited on 12-22-2007 at 09:43 PM by aNILEator.
12-22-2007 09:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: Perfume/'Fragance' Adverts
I agree, perfume adverts are just ridiculous. They are completely pointless and have no real relevance to the perfume at all. That Chanel No.5 advert (with Nicole Kidman) is far too long, and I would never realise it was for a perfume.

I love Honda's adverts, and I also really like Sony's adverts, they're creative, especially the Sony Bravia one with the bunnies. :]
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
12-22-2007 09:35 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
Post your fragrants here :P

I'm only noticing these ads because I'm not at my own home with my computer and all my other stuff to do, so just lazing about trying to stay out of pain with my back and just watching the films and news and all these ads in between are just so agitating.

This post was edited on 12-22-2007 at 09:46 PM by aNILEator.
12-22-2007 09:43 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
Well, I guess it has something to do with it being hard to advertise smell on TV :P I've noticed there's a lot of those ads here as well.
[Image: signature.php]
12-22-2007 10:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
azn angel

rawr

– / Female / –
ahh but some of them are hot.

like the guy in the diesel ad for life or something.

its basically marketing a person, if they look hot then people will buy the perfume for that desired effect. also when you're smelling the perfume and you have an ad with a hot guy in mind, you're going to like it more.
TREKIE IS MY HOMEBOY <3
12-23-2007 05:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
ahh but some of them are hot.

like the guy in the diesel ad for life or something.

its basically marketing a person, if they look hot then people will buy the perfume for that desired effect. also when you're smelling the perfume and you have an ad with a hot guy in mind, you're going to like it more.

No I'm not :P I don't even remember the names of the perfumes generally so I'm unlikely to ever buy it for anyone. I've even noticed in some that the celebrity or actor or whoever is applying a completely different perfume instead of the one advertised.

Oh I thought of another one I hate, the one where this woman is getting her make up done by loads of people and she keeps saying stuff like Bigger is better ' OUCH!' etc then storms off towards the cameras. I have no idea what scent it's advertising, I just take the piss out of the way she says ouch each time it's on.
12-23-2007 11:47 AM
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Perfume/'Fragance' Adverts
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
That Chanel No.5 advert (with Nicole Kidman) is far too long, and I would never realise it was for a perfume.

Oh I really like that one, but yeah you don't realise it's for perfume until the very end. I thought it was an advertisement for a film when I first saw it.

Most of the fragrance adverts are crap. I really like the lacoste pink advert. I think it's lovely, the girl in it I think really represents the perfume; feminine, pretty and girlie etc.

12-23-2007 01:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator

Oh I thought of another one I hate, the one where this woman is getting her make up done by loads of people and she keeps saying stuff like Bigger is better ' OUCH!' etc then storms off towards the cameras. I have no idea what scent it's advertising, I just take the piss out of the way she says ouch each time it's on.
Yeah that one's fucking random.

Snickers Mr. T advert is a good one 8-)

I guess people are just running out of ideas, then again, car companies and stuff seem to be able to keep it fresh. Maybe they can just afford better writers?

Oh snap, Playstation 3 adverts are weird as well :P And then it's like "This is living" and I always think "Yeah, if you're a fricking psycho moron o_o"
[Image: jumbled.png]
12-23-2007 01:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
Indeed Sony have hit 'n' miss campaigns imo.

All the playstation adverts have had some WTF factor
PSP has had some really dodgy adverts, but also some funny ones.
PS2 had some seriously WTF adverts
PS3 adverts really don't make me want to go out and buy a PS3.

Whereas Sony Bravia TV ads have been really good, creative, imaginative and popular.

XBox has had some really good ads which get banned :( but earlier I saw na advert for CoD4 and that looked far better than any PS3 game advert I've seen yet.

And I think Nintendo have a very good idea on their marketing, who they're aiming at/for they advertise their products to appeal to families and adults and groups of friends, rather than kids/'gamer' teens.

I'm not sure I can agree Vac, I think perfume companies can probably afford very good writers, their productions go very OTT and style heavy, but imo they're always too random in a bad way and really don't sell the product to me.

That channel no 5 ad is soo long it even says "This is an advertisement" in the bottom corner on occasion, I think it's written well and planned out but far too long, and it's been parodied because it's just so OTT and long and Nicole looks/acts drunk.

* aNILEator clasps bottle of Jack Daniels and flops back a curtain "I'm a Dancer!!!!" *hic* "I love to dance!"

This post was edited on 12-23-2007 at 03:22 PM by aNILEator.
12-23-2007 03:20 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
The thing is, taking the Chanel no. 5 ad as an example - you are able to name the product from talking about the advertisement. The advertisers have done their job, promotion.

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
especially the Sony Bravia one with the bunnies.
Awesome soundtrack on that one
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-23-2007 03:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend