What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
well, what does a smell look like?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-23-2007 03:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Perfume/'Fragrance' Adverts
quote:
Originally posted by haydos
The thing is, taking the Chanel no. 5 ad as an example - you are able to name the product from talking about the advertisement. The advertisers have done their job, promotion.

Well promotion is one thing sales is what the advert should drive. Channel No 5 is the most well known perfume in the world anyway and most sold/bought at Christmas time as well, so it's not like we wouldn't know what it was. Also that particular advert has Channel logos and branding in huge letters everywhere so you can't miss it. I don't particularly hate that ad, it's the other ones I dislike.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
well, what does a smell look like?

That's not the point, adverts for stuff like glade air freshners etc all make sense and explain what's in them etc, and generally use the items of what's in them as fading animations or stuff eg, rose petals will gently drift out of the air freshner or flush down the toilet or something.

And the sony ads etc don't even show the TV or logo till the end anyway, so you hardly see the product.

This post was edited on 12-23-2007 at 04:03 PM by aNILEator.
12-23-2007 04:00 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Well if their ads are causing this much discussion among people, clearly the perfume marketing agencies win.
12-23-2007 04:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Channel No 5 is the most well known perfume in the world anyway
They aren't in that position due to advertisements and marketing that you aren't going to remember. Promotion is all about repetition and that 'edge' - something that will stick in your mind and let you link to the product from other things.

quote:
Well promotion is one thing sales is what the advert should drive.
Promotion is a MASSIVE factor in what drives sales!
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-23-2007 04:08 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
Yes but many things have absolutely failed in the past like ITV Digital, sure they were promoted, great nationwide campaign, but nobody bought the bloody thing. Instead people latched onto the monkey puppet.

Talking is one thing, negative talking is another :P I'm not going to go buy their products and don't even recognise their products because of being flooded with the adverts and they're all nonsensical and random trash

This post was edited on 12-23-2007 at 04:13 PM by aNILEator.
12-23-2007 04:10 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
That's not the point, adverts for stuff like glade air freshners etc all make sense and explain what's in them etc, and generally use the items of what's in them as fading animations or stuff eg, rose petals will gently drift out of the air freshner or flush down the toilet or something.

so what are they going to show in purfume commercials, whales vomiting all over their models?

This post was edited on 12-23-2007 at 04:12 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-23-2007 04:11 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
No Shawnz I was thinking more flowers and fruit flowing from the bottle as a woman sprays herself with it and floating off behind her as she walks down the street looking fairly happy with herself.

You are an idiot most times tbh
12-23-2007 04:17 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Talking is one thing, negative talking is another  I'm not going to go buy their products and don't even recognise their products because of being flooded with the adverts and they're all nonsensical and random trash

The adverts aren't targeted at the likes of you.

A lot of people think that advertising is a really obvious and direct thing, like people see an advert for a laptop and instantly think "I need a laptop, and I need that one right now".

It is far more subtle than that, it gets into your mind, and so when you are shopping for a laptop, you have a budget in mind and you see two laptops, similar price, similar spec. You'll go for the one which you saw an advert for, subconciously.

Perfume companies have had these adverts on for ages, and they are making mega bucks, so obviously it is working.

When you're in a shop thinking about what perfume to get your girlfriend, you're not going to choose a perfume based on smell*, really. You're going to choose a perfume based on superficial factors like how fancy the packaging looks like, and how well marketed it is. The adverts will come into play, even if you don't think they will.

*see New Coke

This post was edited on 12-23-2007 at 04:24 PM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
12-23-2007 04:22 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk

When you're in a shop thinking about what perfume to get your girlfriend, you're not going to choose a perfume based on smell, really.

Why not? When I have many years ago I did, I'd be like, that one smells nice, Mum'll like that one. Or that one smells like ammonia I'm not even going near that one ever again.
12-23-2007 04:28 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saralk

When you're in a shop thinking about what perfume to get your girlfriend, you're not going to choose a perfume based on smell, really.

Why not? When I have many years ago I did, I'd be like, that one smells nice, Mum'll like that one. Or that one smells like ammonia I'm not even going near that one ever again.

You may think you are, but you're really not. The first rule of marketing is perception is reality, while your conciously watching an advert thinking, that is lame. You're subconcious is thinking something completely different, it might be looking at a pretty girl, or a calming song and making connections between the brand of perfume and this girl who isn't wearing very much.

Then when you come to smell the perfume, those connections are being made again. And your perception of what a nicer smell is, has been filtered.

Of course, i'm not talking about you specifically, i'm using it in the general sense. Maybe you are one in a million, the lone renegade who sees the world for what it is. Immune to marketing, a BMW is just a Ford in a different shell and you don't perceive a man in a tailored Armani suit any differently to how you perceive a man in an ill fitting Tesco suit.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
12-23-2007 04:35 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: