What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » contacts names staying the same

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
contacts names staying the same
Author: Message:
rem17

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. contacts names staying the same
About a week ago I noticed my contacts names were the same as about a month ago, some just had their e-mail address and some were fine. I'm not sure why they aren't changing back to the name they have now because they have since logged in and had different names, but it still shows their old ones.. I've had WLM for months now and it's been working fine, so I don't know why this has happened. :s

I hope this makes sense and someone can help, thanks!
12-27-2007 08:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: contacts names staying the same
Try deleting your contact cache:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
12-27-2007 08:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts
Actually deleting contact cache causes this problem occurence. I don't call this as a problem because this is WLM's special behaviour. While using WLM, contacts' names aren't stored at the server, but they are kept at computer's cache (of course if user keeps cache; you can find the related option in Options of Messenger>Security>"This is a shared computer, don't store my address book..etc. here"). So deleting and/or not keeping cache causes this issue.

People say this is a bug in WLM but I don't think so, I think this is intentional.

I know, signing in on an MSN Messenger can still update the contacts' display names on the server side.

I explained the same thing before and some people rejected, it is here: WLM don't update server for contacts' display names You can try my statements, it is free.
12-27-2007 09:39 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

Actually deleting contact cache causes this problem occurence. I don't call this as a problem because this is WLM's special behaviour. While using WLM, contacts' names aren't stored at the server, but they are kept at computer's cache (of course if user keeps cache; you can find the related option in Options of Messenger>Security>"This is a shared computer, don't store my address book..etc. here"). So deleting and/or not keeping cache causes this issue.

That's completely incorrect :-/. First and formost, deleting the contact cache doesn't "cause" any "problem". That's why it's a "cached" folder with "cached" files. The information inside these "cached" folders came from the MSN servers, where your information is stored in the first placed :-/. Your theory would be the same as saying, "Deleting IE's cache would cause "problems"". When in all actuallity, it is very "healthy" to delete you cached folders. That way they're updated with fresh files from servers :).

quote:
I explained the same thing before and some people rejected, it is here: WLM don't update server for contacts' display names You can try my statements, it is free.

The reason why your posts are "rejected" is because they contain false information, just like your post above. :rolleyes:

So before you go on trying to prove something wrong, make sure you know what you're talking about
12-28-2007 07:01 AM
rem17

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: contacts names staying the same
quote:

I have done this and asked a few friends to sign out, then I sign in again to check, but it's still not working. :S
12-28-2007 12:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RebelSean, you have right to misunderstand me because I couldn't express myself correctly. I understood what you mean, you are right on your statements but I believe I am right with mines as well. Let me try to explain it again.

Yes, MSN server is the first place which people's list informations are stored. And WLM retrieve those information if there is nothing (no cached folder) in the computer locally. But normally everyone who doesn't worry about their security keeps Messenger's caches in their computers. Also Messenger's related option suggests keeping cache by default, because in the sentence it says: "This is a shared computer, don't store...." so it means that if you don't share your computer with others, you must untick this option so your contacts' display names will be retrieved from cache and always be shown as the ones you have seen from them lastly even if you sometimes see them offline.

WLM doesn't store and in case there already exists a name, doesn't update the display name information at the server, just like it doesn't store display pictures as well. When you delete your cache, all display pictures of your contacts' are set again as the blue default one.

The difference between  display names and display pictures is, display pictures have never been stored at the server, but names used to be stored while using MSN Messenger. So some of your contacts' names are still there and if there is no cache on the computer, those names can be retrieved from the server by WLM. However as you guess, these names have been saved at the server while you were using MSN Messenger, so most of your contacts' names were different at those times. So you see old names when you delete your local cache.

Really, can someone say me that, if WLM checked the server for new names all the time, what the purpose of caching contacts' information locally would be. You say, caching information is for fast sign-in. Then if WLM checked all contacts' information with the server at every sign-in even if there is a local cache, then how would it make signing-in fast?

I hope it is clear now.

Edit: By the way, the quotation below is the evidence of my statements. He deleted the cache and contact's name turned to an older one, is this correct rem17?
quote:
Originally posted by rem17
quote:

I have done this and asked a few friends to sign out, then I sign in again to check, but it's still not working. :S

This post was edited on 12-29-2007 at 08:26 AM by ahmetgns.
12-28-2007 08:55 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: contacts names staying the same
quote:

WLM doesn't store and in case there is already a name, doesn't update the display name information at the server, just like it doesn't store display pictures as well. When you delete your cache, all display pictures of your contacts' are set again as the blue default one.

Again you're completely wrong. Your display name is stored on the server, every_time_you_update_it. That is how your name is spread to your contacts. Deleting your contact cache doesn't affect your contacts display pictures; those are stored in a temp folder. The contact cache folder is purely all of your contacts display names, and personal statuses. When you login, if your contact has updates to his/her display name and/or personal message, it is downloaded from the servers. Same goes with your contacts display picture.

quote:
Really, can someone say me that, if WLM checked the server for new names all the time, what the purpose of caching contacts' information locally would be. You say, caching information is for fast sign-in. Then if WLM retrieved all contacts' information from the server at every sign-in even if there is a local cache, then how would it make signing-in fast?

I hope it is clear now.

You have the entire functionality completely wrong. When intially installing WLM, your contact list is cached on your folder. When one of your contacts update his/her display name and/or personal message (And I do believe status updates are also stored), it is sent to the servers and your client automatically downloads and displays their changes. On the contrary, this is also why in the new beta there's a nice little message telling you sign-in may take longer than usual due to the new protocol which downloads your entire contact list.

quote:
Edit: By the way, the quotation below is the evidence of my statements. He deleted the cache and contact's name turned to an older one, is this correct rem17?
quote:
Originally posted by rem17
quote:

And you're once again misreading someone's reply, he did not state that his contacts name's turned to old ones.
12-29-2007 08:22 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RebelSean, I will cry now because I can't express myself. If only you knew Turkish and I had a chance to explain it better.

You said you were using messenger for 7 years but believe me you are still wrong on something. I am testing my statements again and again and each result seems to be supporting me.
quote:
Your display name is stored on the server, every_time_you_update_it.
This is correct, but your contacts' display names aren't stored at the folder (or whatever it is) dedicated to your account at the server. They are stored locally. Of course, when they update it, their dedicated folders at the server are updated with the new name too but you have no chance to retrieve those names from there. You can retrieve display names for only online contacts and your wlm can't store that new name on your folder at the server, they will be saved locally in your computer.
quote:
Deleting your contact cache doesn't affect your contacts display pictures; those are stored in a temp folder.
Are you sure of this? Try deleting your cache and see how all display pictures disappear from contacts. Ermm, you are right and I am wrong on this really :$
quote:
When you login, if your contact has updates to his/her display name and/or personal message, it is downloaded from the servers. Same goes with your contacts display picture.
Yes, this happens only for your online contacts. For your offline contacts, you won't see any change until they come online. (I think rem17's problem is this, she saw the old names only for her offline contacts in her list, I don't think she has any problem with her online contacts)

rem17, can you untick the option about caching, and then try these. However note that,you have no chance to get the display names which you see lastly because they have been permanently lost. You will see old names for your offline contacts and when they come online, their new names will be stored in your cache again and unless you delete the cache, you will see the last display names for them even when they are offline in your contact list.

This post was edited on 12-29-2007 at 12:10 PM by ahmetgns.
12-29-2007 11:20 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
You're kidding me right? You just agreed with all of my statements, but yet you're saying I'm wrong? You honestly have no respect for people who know what they're talking about.

:blah:
12-29-2007 12:45 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
No I am not kidding, the problem is I can't express myself correctly. Another problem may be we are talking about a bit different things, but we think we are on the same thing. Whatever, I'll live with my facts, and you'll live with your facts.
12-29-2007 01:01 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: