What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Visual Basic, XML, XML Schema

Visual Basic, XML, XML Schema
Author: Message:
Ashley_H

O.P. Visual Basic, XML, XML Schema
Right, I know about basic XML, I used to use it when I used to make flash applications and I would add dynamic content via XML but now I have moved onto Visual Basic and I am wondering about XML Programming in Visual Basic. Form example Plus!Windows.

I have the PlusInterface.xsd (Schema file) and I have lots of Window files form various scripts, but say I wanted to make a window preview tool. So you load your XML and it displays the window as it would in plus.

I am guessing you would use the Schema file for this but how?

If I can manage to make this tool (Even though I know there is one already out) It would be greate for me! Please.

Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition (Dont mind if you talk to me using 2005, VB6 language etc. VB will probably update it)
12-29-2007 10:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Visual Basic, XML, XML Schema
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley_H
I am wondering about XML Programming in Visual Basic.
Please stick to one thread (see your other thread: XML Reader in Visual Basic.).

Reading in an XML file can be done with various methods. However, that would only be the extremely easy part since reading in an XML is just the same as reading in any other text fle. What you do with that (text-like, html-like) data is something completely different...

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley_H
Form example Plus!Windows.

I have the PlusInterface.xsd (Schema file) and I have lots of Window files form various scripts, but say I wanted to make a window preview tool. So you load your XML and it displays the window as it would in plus.
To draw Plus!-style windows you need to create your own graphic engine (in a similar way you need to create your own browser if you want to view HTML files as reading in html doesn't magically turn it into a graphical webpage). And that is far from easy.

Moreover, to make this just like the existing (official) interface previewer, you need to know exactly how the Plus! graphic engine works and what it uses for each (tiny) element of all the controls and how they are rendered, how text is rendered, etc...

You can make something which might look somewhat similar as how Plus! would show it, but that's it (eg: see dempsey's Window Designer).

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 10:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2007 12:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ashley_H

O.P. RE: Visual Basic, XML, XML Schema

The threads were kinda for different things but were related to 1 thing in general.
12-30-2007 02:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: