What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » translation

translation
Author: Message:
Dittah

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. translation
hello all. i'm judy from hungary and i'm eager to make new translations to hungarian language - of course free - among the msgplus live scripts from the 'http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/' webpage. but i would like to know an email or an other contact that i can send the hungarian translations. i suppose it's very important that the users can browse among a lot of different languages. i didn't find any address (which is not postcard address..), so if somebody would like to help, email me! (CENSORED) thanks the reading of my letter, have a nice day/night.

bye,
     Judy as Dittah

This post was edited on 01-01-2008 at 02:29 PM by Dittah.
12-29-2007 07:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: translation
Well, first of all I have to tell you that not all scripts are easily translatable. You would have to modify the script files themselves and look for the strings used. This is because script developers need to program their own translation system for their script and for a new developer, this might simply be a too hard task to accomplish. It's lots easier for a script developer to simply hard-code a message than implementing it in some translation system.

More advanced scripts, such as Screenshot Sender or Music Now Playing, do have some sort of translation system which lets translators write an INI or XML file with all the messages used in the script. However, the structure of these files are mostly very different between two scripts and therefore translating one script may be easier than another one. This all depends on how the system works and thus you'll need to study the original translation file of the script first and then base your translated file on that original one.

The best thing you can do is study the translation system for the specific script and attempt to translate just that script. If you're in need of some help, you can try to search for a thread about the script on these forums and PM the script developer. Then, for another script, you forget everything about the last script and start all over again. :P

Off-topic: I recommend you to censor your e-mail address, such as "someone AT hotmail DOT REMOVE-THIS com". Some SPAM bots might read these forums too! ;)

This post was edited on 12-31-2007 at 01:04 PM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
12-31-2007 01:02 PM
Dittah

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: translation
first of all, thanks your answer! and i have to say yes, i have known these facts but i'm eager to translate only the descriptions, too, and not the full program. and what's the profit of that? a lot of hungarian people would like to use new scripts but they can't because they don't understand these descriptions. i suppose it's more than nothing:) but i will accept your advice, thanks a lot!

ps: i hope you will answer for me again

This post was edited on 01-01-2008 at 02:30 PM by Dittah.
01-01-2008 02:26 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: translation
Dittah, thank you for your effort to help your nation. However, scripts usually provide options in their own menus and they are in English too (though there are some non-english scripts in the database), so people who cannot understand the menus of most scripts don't need to understand the description of those scripts actually. Also if they know how to use scripts for instance by learning them from their friends, then they don't need a description in the database for those scripts, because they would already be aware of what those scripts can do for them.

Also scripts and skins sections are parts of Messenger Plus! website and translators weren't supposed to translate them since the beginning. But if one day we are supposed to translate databases, then be ready, Hungarian translator may ask for your help.
01-01-2008 10:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dittah

33 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: translation
ok, i understand you. thanks your answer! :)
01-02-2008 08:33 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: