What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Should the visual CAPTCHA for the sponsored mode uninstallation routine be made accessible to the blind and visually impaired?
This poll is closed.
Yes 8 100%
No 0 0%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
Author: Message:
nu7i

Visit http://blindaccessjournal.com

50 / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
December 29, 2007

Dear Patchou and all other MsgPlusLive Developers,

I am writing to tell you about a critical concern facing blind and visually impaired people who install Messenger Plus Live and to ask for your help to resolve the issue in an equitable manner.

As blind computer users, we rely on a piece of assistive technology known as a screen reader. An example of this software is Window-Eyes, developed and sold by GW Micro (http://www.gwmicro.com). Most blind people install Messenger Plus Live in unsponsored mode; they have learned from the community that the ads in sponsored mode can interfere with the proper operation of this vital tool. Unfortunately, some blind users have installed the sponsored version of your software, finding that the functionality of their screen reader has been impaired, impacting the ability to use their computers in the process.

As the sponsored mode version of MSG Plus Live is currently written, a visual CAPTCHA is presented during the uninstallation process. Blind people are physically unable to see the picture of characters in a CAPTCHA, thus they are unable to solve such a challenge / response scheme. The result is that those of us who have installed the sponsored version of your software are completely unable to remove it from our computers.

Please consider resolving this critical issue as soon as possible by removing the visual CAPTCHA altogether, by implementing an audio playback CAPTCHA such as the one found at http://recaptcha.net or by using an alternative e-mail confirmation or text based challenge / response system.

Your consideration and time is appreciated, and I anticipate hearing from someone on the Messenger Plus Live development team as soon as possible.

Best regards for a happy New Year,

Darrell Shandrow
Accessibility Evangelist
12-29-2007 08:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
Well, you must remember that if screen readers are able to read it, other programs must be able to read it too -- therefore, defeating the entire purpose of the CAPTCHA. Do screen readers not suffer from this problem with every CAPTCHA?

I think it should be removed altogether, to be honest.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-29-2007 09:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I think it should be removed altogether, to be honest.

Can't disagree with that, also it is a good reason for removing it or adding in that audio option for impaired users
12-29-2007 09:15 PM
nu7i

50 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
There are a number of accessible ways to protect resources against spam and other abuse that are not visual only and, thus, do not lock us out simply due to our physical lack of eye sight. In all cases, CAPTCHA schemes should be made accessible. It is simply the right thing to do. Web sites should be protected, but not at the cost of equal and full participation by everyone, including the blind.
12-29-2007 09:25 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
It's a shame accessibility is so hard and/or time consuming to cater for and consider in software and websites. I hope something changes to help you guys and gals, and that you can still enjoy the features of Plus! without being able to see the sexy User interface :P
12-29-2007 09:29 PM
nu7i

50 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Visual CAPTCHA Prevents Blind Users from Uninstalling Sponsored Mode Version
One thing I keep seeing, which I just can't understand. That's the concept that reasonably accomodating us is necessarily expensive or "time consuming" along with the concept that a little expense or time shouldn't be spent to ensure participation for all. On what basis, aNILEator, do you base the statement that accessibility is "time consuming"?
12-29-2007 09:33 PM
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
I have never installed the sponsor, why would there even need to be a CAPTCHA.
12-29-2007 09:36 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
To stop bots from uninstalling it.
No longer here.
12-29-2007 09:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
I base it on my own research and study as well as implementation and project work. Adding accessibility compatibility options for all sorts of impaired users takes a long time and in some cases is impossible, same as you will never cater to all peoples tastes. Building websites for example take a long time and lots of careful planning, let's say I've compiled a great looking and functioning website, it's ready to go. If I were to check and add compatibility accessibility options for impaired users it'd take me more time. I'd have to check it enlarges properly in various web-browsers page, text and image enlarging systems, I'd have to hack together some code for audio Captcha or something which is beyond me, it's just all that extra time and resources to offer support to a very limited audience. Thus unfortunately for businesses, accessibility can get pushed aside, forgotten or dismissed because of the extra costs unless it is enforced, but that is more for real life stuff like whelchair access etc.

Anyway. Let's hope Patchou gets notice of this thread and has a read
12-29-2007 09:49 PM
Shippo

Kawaii Kitsune Youkai

33 / Male / Flag
Well, although an audio function wouldn't be a bad thing, I think it might take a bit too much time to code it. Plus, where would the audio files come from anyway? Kinda makes me wonder..

Anyway, I'm sure there are people who may help those who are visually impaired. Even I could help with remote access to a computer, but it all depends on trust. (I help quite a few people with RealVNC, nifty application and a bit better than Remote Desktop in 'some' ways)

As for myself, I don't install the sponsor program even though I do support Patchou in Plus!, I just don't install it since I don't want to be bugged by my security applications just to allow the thing and I hate pop-ups. (that is, if there are any.. I haven't had that thing installed in forever x_x)
[Image: kirei_sig.jpg]
12-29-2007 10:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: