What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » 80072745 Error and Netgear Router

80072745 Error and Netgear Router
Author: Message:
Mit51

O.P. 80072745 Error and Netgear Router
I've been getting an instant 80072745 error as soon as I try to sign in to windows live messenger for the past 2 days.

The trouble shooter says everything is fine, I removed and re-installed messenger, I tried deleting the 'shared' registry key, I ran messenger fixer and fixed all problems and I've run Winsock Fix too but still it doesn't even seem to try to connect.

I then downloaded aMSN (opensource MSN client) and it too couldn't connect so it's not a Windows Live specific problem more of a problem with the MSN port or protocol connecting I guess.

I disabled windows xp's firewall (no other software firewalls used) and still no luck.

I use a netgear DG834GT ADSL router so I disconnected that and connected a USB ADSL modem direct to my PC. Messenger then worked fine. I then tried a different router and again Messenger worked fine. Going back to the Netgear router it still doesn't connect.

So I updated the firmware on the router (no good) and then reset it to factory defaults(still no good!) and also powered everything off and left it off overnight.

Messenger on another PC connected to the same router works fine so I am totally stuck for an answer!

It can't be a Windows Live Messenger Fault as it works fine on a different router and alternative Messenger client fails too on Netgear router and that suggests it's not a Windows fault either.

That leaves it being a router fault but I have reset and updated the router and have no other connection issues except Messenger and my other PC using the same router has no problems.

So it's just one certain PC connecting to one certain router that's the problem but as I have reset the router to factory defaults and reset it I just don't know why this one PC on that router cannot connect to MSN?

Edit:
Just installed another IM Client and can connect to MSN by using http in this client but no direct TCP/IP but Windows Live Messenger doesn't seem to have this connection option (unless you're using an HTTP proxy server)

Any ideas?

This post was edited on 01-04-2008 at 03:20 PM by Mit51.
01-04-2008 02:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
welsh_pcwhiz

Cymru :-)

31 / Male / Flag
Huh?  RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router
I have the same problem intermittently with a Netgear DG834PN Router. Sometimes I receive different error codes. The Troubleshooter doesn't find any problems (although occasionally it says that the Default Gateways are a problem, but it can't fix them).

I set the 'Open IM ports' in the Router to ON and still no luck.
Then, after much Googling, I found that newer versions of WLM require port 1863 to be open for Inbound services. (In my router, I have to create a Service and then open the port for Inbound services in the Firewall Rules page.)

After doing this and restarting Messenger WLM worked fine for about 2 weeks.

However, one day Messenger stopped working again providing different error codes each time. I couldn't find ANY suggestions on what to do, so I decided to play around in the Router.

Eventually I decided to try opening the same port (1863) for Outbound services AS WELL as Inbound. This worked for about another 2 weeks.

However, once again Messenger stopped working :@, so I decided to try closing the Outbound port (1863) again. This works (for the moment).

Reply here if you have any questions about this.
Signature? What signature!? :O
05-15-2008 11:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
burntoutmouse

RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router
Hey I have this same problem Mit51.

Approximately twice a month both myself and my flat mate (using seperate PC's) are unable to log into MSN live messenger and are presented with error code 80072745. Doing a little research on the internet I found a whole host of weird and wonderful suggestions which were of no help at all until I found your post which was the closest description I've found to what we are experiencing. We also have the netgear DG834GT ADSL router. Usually the problem clears up within about 24 hours. I am currently experiencing the problem right now and so thought I'd try to see if there were any solutions! ><

The http test under msnm's connection advanced settings passes fine but the TCP test gives
Resolving the server name...
Connecting to the server...
Connected, verifying bility to send data now...
We are unable to connect (80072745).

Webmessenger works fine during these times.

One person stated that it was possible to become IP banned if there is too much packet loss which seems to me the most likely cause here (why netgear routers seem to be at the heart of this though I couldn't guess) but sadly with a static IP rebooting the router aint gonna help.

Does anyone know what the period of time is before they unban your IP?

Did you ever find a solution or still living with it?

This post was edited on 07-14-2008 at 10:42 PM by burntoutmouse.
07-14-2008 10:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
proxistor@hotmail.

39 / Male / Flag
Hi,

I too have the same issue and only get error code 80072745.. everything else works/connects fine. I have a Netgear DG834N router and have tried many of the above suggestions. The only thing I have had work and allow messenger to connect is to restart the router or reconnect the ADSL connection (restarting obviously makes this happen) allowing a new IP to be issued as this is not static. Once this is done messenger connects fine for a unspecified period of time (days/weeks) before the same issue happens again.

It does appear to be as burntoutmouse has suggested that the IP is being banned and therefore the connection is blocked. This isn't too much of an issue for me as i can just reconnect and get a new IP, however anyone with a static will have problems.

It would be nice to find out the ban time for an IP.
Drew
09-28-2008 06:33 PM
bockovic

I've been using same Netgear DG834N router. The fix for 80072745 error was to log into router setup page, go to Firewall rules. Option "Open IM ports" at the bottom of the page was selected, but it obviously did not work as Windows Live Messenger was blocked. Oddly, but Yahoo messenger and Skype worked fine in the same time.

The fix was to select CLOSE IM PORTS and click Apply button. Then select OPEN IM PORTS and click Apply button again. And voila :))

The WLM started working again on all computers in network behid the notorious Netgear DG834N router :D

Btw, DG834N router is great, but I would NEVER suggest it to anyone because it has such stupid setup procedure and have a number of stupid bugs which will drive non-proffessional user crasy!
04-28-2010 07:20 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: