What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » External Hardrives!

External Hardrives!
Author: Message:
Darkusknight

O.P. Cool  External Hardrives!
I dj with my laptop( as well as cd players) trouble is i need more space to store around 2500 12" singles plus remixes etc..would an external hard drive be the answer? It would be great to take every tune i own to my gigs,around 15,000 singles,etc.. bye bye cd and record boxes..
01-07-2008 05:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: External Hardrives!
If your PC doesn't have another rack for a internal hard drive, then an external drive would be best. Here's a nice little article with the top 10 external drives :).

PC World's top 10 external drives
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
01-07-2008 05:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
If your PC doesn't have another rack for a internal hard drive, then an external drive would be best. Here's a nice little article with the top 10 external drives :).

Is there ever another rack in a laptop? :P
And would there be any other choices than an external hdd really? :P

Since you're looking to take the harddrive with you, I highly suggest getting a 2.5" one for different reasons : it is pretty compact but also, it has a dual USB connection, compared to the 3.5" external drives, which usually require an AC Adapter to be plugged in, and a USB to be connected to the computer.

The ones that you will find with two USB ports do not necessairly  require you to plug both in, matter of fact, unless your usb doesn't provide enough power, you'll be able to access your drive with only one USB inserted. (I run my HDD off a USB 1.0 connection and it works with only one USB connector inserted, so you shouldn't worry about that.)

I personally own a Seagate FreeAgent Go 160GB, and although I have not really tried any other ones, I can assure you that I am honestly satisfied. The drive makes no noise, has a very decent transfer speed, is compact, and looks pretty cool, not to mention that Seagate is well known for its quality hard drive, and a 5 years warranty actually proves it.

I would definitly suggest you one (matter of fact, I might be looking to get another one exactly like it).

Here's a link to a few portable (2.5") external drives I would be looking at.

Seagate Free Agent Go
LaCie Little Disk
Western Digital Passport
-------------------------------
Hope this helps!

This post was edited on 01-07-2008 at 05:43 AM by albert.
01-07-2008 05:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
External hard drives are great, I actually use 3 of them on my PC, a 160GB, 500GB, and 1TB. Using one for music, one for videos and backup and random stuff, and the third for additional backup. Its great, whenever I head out to a party I just grab my drive with 20,000+ songs and have everything with me, cant go wrong.
01-13-2008 06:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: