What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Problem: Will not set away

Problem: Will not set away
Author: Message:
oneoflittleharmony

O.P. Problem: Will not set away
The "Show me away when I am inactive" thing will not set me away, even in the middle of the night and I've been sleeping for hours at a time. It's very annoying to the people I talk to apperently, so how do I get MSN to set me away when I forget to turn the away thing on?
12-24-2007 06:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Problem: Will not set away
It must change your status to Away normally if you don't touch mouse or keyboard for a while (you know you set that delay in Options). But also switching to Welcome screen of Windows changes your status to Away if you checked the option mentioned above. So can you give that a try?

But when you come back, your status will be set back immediately, so you may miss the change even if it set it to Away when you are on Welcome Screen. To make sure you don't miss anything, you can install Messenger Plus! and look at its Event Viewer window if your status changed to Away when you locked your Windows session with Windows Logo key+L.

Or you can sign in with another ID on another Windows account and check your original account's status.

Can you report back what happens when you do this?
12-27-2007 01:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by oneoflittleharmony
The "Show me away when I am inactive" thing will not set me away, even in the middle of the night and I've been sleeping for hours at a time. It's very annoying to the people I talk to apperently, so how do I get MSN to set me away when I forget to turn the away thing on?
When that option is turned on (make sure it is :p) Messenger will set your status to a special away status when there isn't any activity registered for an amount of time.

This special away status is actually called "Idle" (though, in a standard Messenger it is also shown as "Away).

As soon as there is activity again your status is set to "Online".

However, the Idle status will only kick in when:
  1. Your previous status is "Online".
    When you have any other status, the Idle state will not be triggered.
    Also note that there are scripts and other addons which might change your status without you noticing it. So if you have something like that, it might be possible that they set your status to something else, which on its turn prevents Messenger from going in Idle state.

2. There isn't any activity for x minutes.
    Where 'activity' is keyboard or mouse input.
    • But note that there are also (bad made) programs which simulate activity in one way or the other (eg: even some screensavers do this!).
      The same with some Messenger Plus! scripts. There are some which act in the same way and thus will 'simulate' activity.
      When this happens Messenger will revert your status back to Online as this is all seen as user interaction.
    • Also note that if you leave your mouse alone, the mouse cursor can still drift across the screen. And this again counts as activity as your computer doesn't know if it is drifting the mouse or if it is actualy you who is slowly moving the mouse. This happens more with wireless mice than with wired mice though.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-27-2007 02:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
oneoflittleharmony

O.P. RE: RE: Problem: Will not set away
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
When that option is turned on (make sure it is :p) Messenger will set your status to a special away status when there isn't any activity registered for an amount of time.

This special away status is actually called "Idle" (though, in a standard Messenger it is also shown as "Away).

As soon as there is activity again your status is set to "Online".

However, the Idle status will only kick in when:
  1. Your previous status is "Online".
    When you have any other status, the Idle state will not be triggered.
    Also note that there are scripts and other addons which might change your status without you noticing it. So if you have something like that, it might be possible that they set your status to something else, which on its turn prevents Messenger from going in Idle state.

2. There isn't any activity for x minutes.
    Where 'activity' is keyboard or mouse input.
    • But note that there are also (bad made) programs which simulate activity in one way or the other (eg: even some screensavers do this!).
      The same with some Messenger Plus! scripts. There are some which act in the same way and thus will 'simulate' activity.
      When this happens Messenger will revert your status back to Online as this is all seen as user interaction.
    • Also note that if you leave your mouse alone, the mouse cursor can still drift across the screen. And this again counts as activity as your computer doesn't know if it is drifting the mouse or if it is actualy you who is slowly moving the mouse. This happens more with wireless mice than with wired mice though.

I'm sure it's not the mouse, as I have a touch pad. It might be some program. I have no screen savers, I'm running vista.  What types of programs are notorious for this?
12-28-2007 01:21 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
How many minutes do you have the delay set to?

Do you have the option checked?

If you sit and wait for the number of minutes (checking that nothing moves the mouse/keyboard) does it set you to idle?

if not, then what programs do you have running (all the ones in the taskbar and system tray)

and also do you have any processes running in the background unrelated to outwardly running programmes?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5218 days, 19 hours, 26 minutes, 39 seconds ago
12-28-2007 01:26 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I'm sure it's not the mouse, as I have a touch pad. It might be some program. I have no screen savers, I'm running vista.  What types of programs are notorious for this?
You didn't try my sayings? As far as I know Vista must have a Welcome screen too. I want you to try this because I hope it will help we find the problem, whether it is with Messenger's internal behaviour (maybe a bug appears on your computer) or any other programs interfering mouse/keyboard etc because in Welcome screen, your status should be set as Away(Idle) even if you move mouse / touch keyboard's buttons.
12-28-2007 08:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
oneoflittleharmony

O.P. RE: RE: Problem: Will not set away
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
It must change your status to Away normally if you don't touch mouse or keyboard for a while (you know you set that delay in Options). But also switching to Welcome screen of Windows changes your status to Away if you checked the option mentioned above. So can you give that a try?

But when you come back, your status will be set back immediately, so you may miss the change even if it set it to Away when you are on Welcome Screen. To make sure you don't miss anything, you can install Messenger Plus! and look at its Event Viewer window if your status changed to Away when you locked your Windows session with Windows Logo key+L.

Or you can sign in with another ID on another Windows account and check your original account's status.

Can you report back what happens when you do this?

Sorry, for some reason, the white/blue thing made me miss your post.

It does go to idle when I press Win+L

I have Plus right now, and as far as I know, this problem was only, apparent when I had plus.

Delay is set to 10 minutes, option is set, it does not happen if I sit and wait for it to happen.

I have approximately 83 processes running. (including system/local)

Programs that run in the systray that came with the computer are: symantic anti-virus (enterprise edition, not exactly sure why it came with this), synaptics pointing device, all of the shit that comes with windows vista home premium, intel graphics media accelerator drive for mobile, realtek HD audio manager, and two programs from acer called launch manager and acer eNet management.

Installed programs that run when started are: AIM, MSN (plus), Google Talk, and I'm usually running No-Name Script 4.

As for processes that are not system/local, I am enclosing a screen shot, the one process that is not shown is firefox. 

[Image: 8fevkmx.jpg]

Edit: I have no idea how this post moved here, it was originally in help and support.

This post was edited on 01-10-2008 at 09:54 PM by oneoflittleharmony.
01-10-2008 09:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: