What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Edit Contact Details Not Saved

Edit Contact Details Not Saved
Author: Message:
jasonallen

www.jason-allen.co.uk

36 / Male / –
O.P. Edit Contact Details Not Saved
Hi there,

I've been having this problem for ages and I've never got round to asking someone if they knew how to fix it.

I'm using Messenger 8.5, but it's been happening on versions lower than this as well.

Here's what I do:
* I go to a contact and select "Edit Contact"
* I rename their first name and last name
* and click OK.

Their name changes in the contact list for a split second and then will just revert to what the original was. My guess is my changes are getting to the server. I have tried this on multiple machines, at home and at work.

When I change my display name and when I move contacts to a different group, these will work successfully, so that's getting to the server.

You might also be thinking why I would be renaming contacts anyway. Well, because I use Messenger Plus, I like to put [b ]First Name and LastName[/b ] to bolden contacts and place them at the top of my list. It's worked before, just not anymore...

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase.

This post was edited on 01-08-2008 at 10:24 PM by jasonallen.
Windows XP Professional
Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8050.1202
Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.342
01-08-2008 10:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Edit Contact Details Not Saved
You are viewing your contacts with their first and last name, right? Then try editing those contacts from inside Windows Live Hotmail's Contacts page, if you have a Hotmail e-mail account associated with your Widnows Live ID. After changing it, signin again on Messenger. See if the changes are retrieved from the server. If not, then go to Messenger Options>Security, and tick the option" This is a shared computer, don't store my address book, display picture and personal message here" then sign-out. Now change the names of your contacts from Hotmail again, then sign-in Messenger (it will take longer for this time because all contacts' information will be retrieved from the server) and now check the contact list if the changes have been applied. (Now you can again untick the option I mentioned above)

Do you receive contact updates from your contacts? It may have something to do with this problem. Try cancelling it for a while if that is the case.

Also you can try assigning a nickname for contacts, without editing their first and last names. Even if you view your contacts with their first and last names, if a nickname is avaliable for a contact, then WLM will show the nickname in contact list, also you can use Plus! tags to format the name as well.

By the way, everything works as intended here so I don't think this is a general bug with WLM.

This post was edited on 01-10-2008 at 09:59 AM by ahmetgns.
01-10-2008 09:58 AM
jasonallen

www.jason-allen.co.uk

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Edit Contact Details Not Saved
Thanks for the help.

I have solved my issue and all seems to be working great now.
Basically all I had to do was change the name and then sign out and in again and the change was made visible. Nothing really spectacular in the end.

Cheers for the help again,
Jase.
Windows XP Professional
Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8050.1202
Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.342
01-10-2008 04:43 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites