What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Compatibility

Compatibility
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Compatibility
Quick Question:

Plus! uses the <Compatibility> tags to gray out the skins that don't work with a certain version of Messenger, correct?

If so, shouldn't a skin must have at least 1 Messenger version under the <Compatibility> tag? It could give a user who isn't paying much attention to the skin compatibility mentioned in the skins database some trouble, or perhaps they do not know which version of Messenger they have. Perhaps this thread could be avoided if Compatibility tag was mandated.

This post was edited on 01-09-2008 at 09:14 PM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6572 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes, 47 seconds ago.

01-09-2008 09:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Compatibility
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Quick Question:

Plus! uses the <Compatibility> tags to gray out the skins that don't work with a certain version of Messenger, correct?

Yes you are right...

quote:
If so, shouldn't a skin must have at least 1 Messenger version under the <Compatibility> tag?
Yes it must... do you have any skin that doens't have compatibility info in the skininfo file??? wich one???
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
01-09-2008 09:21 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Yes (and disable apply skin in the import window).

quote:
a skin must have at least 1 Messenger version under the <Compatibility> tag?
Technically it isn't required, when you leave out <Compatibility> completely Plus! will assume it's compatible with any Messenger version.

quote:
It could give a user who isn't paying much attention to the skin compatibility mentioned in the skins database some trouble
True. When checking skins submitted to the db i try to always check if the <Compatibility> tag is used, if it isn't i ask the creator to add it.

quote:
Perhaps this thread could be avoided if Compatibility tag was mandated.
Doubt it. As far as i know all skins in the DB already use the <Compatibility> tag. The problem is that Plus! isn't clear enough IMHO. When a skin is incompatible users can still import it, just the option to apply the skin directly is disabled and in the preferences the skin name is grayed out. You can still apply the skin if you wish, mainly for skin creators testing purposes.
When users see the skin import window and press ok they assume the skin was imported successfully, and when they look in the preferences it isn't clear why the text is grayed out. A nice incompatible warning which shows which Messenger version the user is currently using, which Messenger version(s) the skin is compatible with and a link to the official Messenger download site may be a good improvement.

EDIT: If a incompatible warning is added, link it to microsoft.com/downloads instead of the live.com site. Live.com fails to show version numbers, microsoft.com shows 8.5 as "Version 2008" but at least that's something.

This post was edited on 01-09-2008 at 10:45 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-09-2008 09:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Compatibility
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
quote:
If so, shouldn't a skin must have at least 1 Messenger version under the <Compatibility> tag?
Yes it must... do you have any skin that doens't have compatibility info in the skininfo file??? wich one???
:-$ I had a very old version of Duck! Live...(or maybe I accidentally took out that part :P)
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Doubt it. As far as i know all skins in the DB already use the <Compatibility> tag. The problem is that Plus! isn't clear enough IMHO. When a skin in incompatible users can still import it, just to option to apply the skin directly is disabled and in the preferences the skin name is grayed out. You can still apply the skin if you wish, mainly for skin creators test purposes.
When users see the skin import window and press ok they assume the skin was imported successfully, and when they look in the preferences it isn't clear why the text is grayed out. A nice incompatible warning which shows which Messenger version the user is currently using, which Messenger version(s) the skin is compatible with and a link to the official Messenger download site may be a good improvement.
That would be useful. Perhaps having an extra pop-up saying that it is not compatible would help.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6572 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes, 47 seconds ago.

01-09-2008 09:42 PM
dexter1992

WLM 8.1???
I have Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (8.1.0178.00) and none of the skins work!
Why nobody makes skins for WLM 8.1??! :@
01-11-2008 10:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by dexter1992
Why nobody makes skins for WLM 8.1?
Because 8.1 is an old version. It takes skinners a lot of time to make their skins work with multiple versions, so most will only make it for the latest public version (8.5).

You can download WLM 8.5 from http://get.live.com/messenger, most skins will work with that.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-11-2008 12:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: