What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.

Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.
Author: Message:
Ashley_H

O.P. Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.
Hi, I have Vista Home Basic and for some daft reason it seems to be the only package out of the Vista series that doesnt have Aero (Daft) when certain features of aero can be used on a home basic pc (I know this because a while back when my computer was playing up I was able to have an aero skin which had transparent 'glass' windows and I know it is possible to get thumbnails of windows because programs like ObjectDock can get thumbnails on Home Basic.

Just wonderng is there any program out there that can give me things such as thumbnails (When you hover over a program on the taskbar) or the Flip 3D feature etc. Thanks;

Ash

This post was edited on 01-11-2008 at 10:55 AM by Ashley_H.
01-11-2008 10:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley_H

Just wonderng is there any program out there that can give me things such as thumbnails (When you hover over a program on the taskbar) or the Flip 3D feature etc.

Buy a Serial Number to Windows Vista Home Premium and Use Anytime Upgrade.  Tbh, why would you buy a Vista Home Basic PC if you wanted more?  Thats my suggestion, others might be able to suggest programs for you though.
01-11-2008 10:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ashley_H

O.P. RE: Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.
at the time i didnt know I assumed microsoft wouldnt be awkward and not include aero in home basic, plus I didnt buy my pc.

This post was edited on 01-11-2008 at 11:03 AM by Ashley_H.
01-11-2008 11:02 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
No one uses flip 3d :S and microsoft tout it as one of the best features of Vista in any video advert and even on the box itself.

ALT+TAB is just quicker, easier and doesn't crash as much.

also some windows just don't get found in Flip3D too

You may be able to use some of the programs that Vista Transformation Pack includes to get any aero based effects on your system. Also I think there's a crack/patch to enable aero too

This post was edited on 01-11-2008 at 11:30 AM by aNILEator.
01-11-2008 11:29 AM
Ashley_H

O.P. RE: RE: Vista Aero Thumbnails etc.
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Also I think there's a crack/patch to enable aero too

Yeah Ive seen video's on youtube but they seem a bit dodgey. Seen as though there posted by people who class changing the font on notepad as hacking :P
01-11-2008 01:27 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I believe there are certain cracks but only if your video card supports them, can't really remember ;o
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-11-2008 03:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
It is apparently not a big problem to enable the Vista Aero interface in Windows Vista Home Basic even though it is officially not included in that version. All you need to do is to change the values of two registry keys and restart Windows Vista afterwards. Open the registry by pressing Windows + R, typing regedit and hitting enter afterwards.

Navigate to the key Hkey_Current_User \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ DWM \ and change the value of the entry Composition to 1 and the value of CompositionPolicy to 0.

Now you can select the Aero interface by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize from the menu. Switch to Colors and Appearance and click on Classic Appearance Properties.. and choose Windows Vista Aero from the menu.

Apparently the one above doesnt always work, but this does apparently:
quote:

To enable the full aero theme including transparancy you have to edit

Regedit:
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/DWM/

Composition = 1
CompositionPolicy = 2

and then go to the next registry entry the second directorie in the registry hack S-1-5-21-2570785041-229298284-3903479328-500 may vairy between computer though its normally the longest entrie.

Regedit:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2570785041-229298284-3903479328-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

Composition = 1
CompositionPolicy = 2

This post was edited on 01-11-2008 at 05:00 PM by Jimbo.
01-11-2008 04:56 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley_H
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Also I think there's a crack/patch to enable aero too

Yeah Ive seen video's on youtube but they seem a bit dodgey. Seen as though there posted by people who class changing the font on notepad as hacking :P

It is isn't it?

/end half-witty, half-sarcasm, half taking the piss out of my "l33t" hacking skills :P

Btw, "l33t" is correct isn't it? I'm only just starting to understand "o rly?" :banana:
01-23-2008 01:35 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: