What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item

Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
If you untick the option "Enable quick access to previously sent messages with Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down" in Messenger Plus! Live Preferences>Conversations>Main, it also disables the menu item "Show Previous Messages" under Messenger Plus! Features button at conversation windows' formatting bar. I think, disabling it is unnecessary, especially while the option only talks about the Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down shortcuts.

I mean that option should be only for disabling the shortcuts, not the whole feature. As far as I understand, even if you disable the above option, Messenger Plus! still keeps a history of the sent messages and when you enable it, you can see all the previous messages anyway. So why is the menu item being affected by the option in Preferences at the first place?

This post was edited on 01-13-2008 at 11:07 PM by ahmetgns.
01-13-2008 11:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
All the features have an option to disable them...that's the option for this feature. So it would make sense that it disables the whole feature and not just the keyboard shortcuts. If you only want to disable the shortcuts, just dont use them.

This post was edited on 01-14-2008 at 12:57 AM by deAd.
01-14-2008 12:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
But the option talks about the shortcuts, not the whole feature. If it was so it must be;

"Keep a history of previously sent messages and enable the shortcuts for quick access"

Also, one may want to disable the shortcuts because he or she may want to use them with other applications but s/he still wants to have the feature. So?

Remember, Tabbed Chats feature have two different options, not only one option for two different things:
1- To enable the whole feature (Enable Tabbed Chatting).
2- To enable the shortcuts (Enable keyboard shortcuts _ [Use Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to browse your current chats.])

I hope my point is clear enough.

01-14-2008 09:01 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Also, one may want to disable the shortcuts because he or she may want to use them with other applications

They're not global. The option should disable the list and shortcuts, but should probably be worded better so that the user understands clearly
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
01-14-2008 04:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Disabled "Show Previous Messages" menu item
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
The option should disable the list and shortcuts, but should probably be worded better so that the user understands clearly
Then, imho the function of that option should be considered again, because even if you disable that option, it still keeps a history and that means there is still a bit memory usage, isn't there? So, what would be purpose of disabling that option?

Look, if you untick the quick texts option "Show quick icons in Plus! menu of conversation windows", it removes the menu item completely.

If you untick the option of Quick Icons about typing "(" to view the panel, it doesn't remove ad even disable the menu item "Display Quick Icons panel...".

Why do these options behave differently from each other? That is what I cannot understand.

This post was edited on 01-14-2008 at 06:52 PM by ahmetgns.
01-14-2008 06:50 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: