What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » [HELP] Replacing Resource 591

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
[HELP] Replacing Resource 591
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. [HELP] Replacing Resource 591
in part 3 of willz skinning guide he talked about making custom status images and that was simple enough however in messenger next to your nickname is a button marked online, when you drop it down it shows you the list of status's to choose from and the icon associated with them.

willz mentioned in his skinning guide thread that this dropdown is resource 591 while i can see from another skin the code to put in skininfo file what there isnt any instructions on for this process is how to make a replacement 591.png file and on how to create the resources file you need, could someone kindly post a tut on how to accomplish this please?
01-19-2008 04:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
RE: [HELP] Replacing Resource 591
After, reading your post and looking at the resources, and working with previous skins. Before it was integrated into Plus...from what I remember you could  just open the file then open a blank image with the same dimensions. Create your new status icons. and place them in the blank image in the same order as in the original 591 image. But remember they' have to be in the same pixel placing as before or it will mess up the image's when messenger reads them.

*sorry for horrible grammar, and sorry it's not really in tutorial format. I'll re-write if you'd like.
01-19-2008 05:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [HELP] Replacing Resource 591
thanks banky yes if you could rewrite into a more tutorial like format it would be greatly appreciated.
01-19-2008 07:00 PM
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
thanks banky yes if you could rewrite into a more tutorial like format it would be greatly appreciated.

Lol, i'll work on that now x.x It might take awhile.. lol.
01-19-2008 07:24 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
ok not a problem, i still have a lot of other work to do on the skin before its release worthy anyway so for the time being atleast theres no rush, get back to me as soon as is possible, id rather you take extra time to ensure accuracy and ease of use than rush it and i not understand it lol.
01-19-2008 07:59 PM
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
Replacing Muti-Image/Single-Lined Resources
By: banky

Attention

- I'll Be Using Adobe Photoshop CS:2 For this Guide
- Guide Based on Resource 591 and Messenger Version 8.5(Final)
- Difficulty: Mediumish
- Horrible Grammar lol! ;x

1. Open the resource in your graphics program.

2. Find out the dimensions of the resource (Image--> Image Size or Alt+Ctrl+I)
*Dimensions for 591: 361x18*

3. Now open a new image (File - New) Make the dimensions the same as the resource you're trying to replace.
(For this guide we'll make it 361x18)

4. To begin changing the resource make sure your first Layer is transparent, then make a new layer for every image that's in the Single-Lined Resource.
(For 591 we'll need 10 Layers)

*You can try 1 layer for all the images, but it's easier with multiple layers so you can rearrange each item to make sure the pixel settings are correct*

5. We'll Need rulers for this next step(Ctrl+R), we'll also need to zoom into the original resource so we can find where we'll need to put the images in our new resource.

Click for Picture

*Warning I've zoomed at 300% you can choose any zoom but for sake of the tutorial I'll be using 300%**

From the picture you can see that the location for the following:
*With Zoom at 300% each little notch on the ruler is 2"*

Right Side: 12"
Left Side: 0"
Bottom: 14"
Top: 0"

*I'll only be showing the location of the first image simply so you can try to do the rest*

6. Now that we know the location of the first location let's move the icon we'd like to replace the first image with into our blank image.

*Remember Size Matters: Try not to get a image that's to wide.. as it may interfere with the layout of the other images*

7. Now after Dragging the new image to the blank file. Turn on rulers(If not already done) and zoom to 300% again.(Or the zoom you've chosen)

8. Now Simply align the new image to the location you' found for the previous image which is
Right Side: 12"
Left Side: 0"
Bottom: 14"
Top: 0"

Click for picture

As you can see I have aligned the new image to the same location as in the original resource which will allow it to be changed after adding the rest of the images and saving it.

-End-

Sorry, that I only showed you how to do one location hopefully I wrote this good enough you'll understand how to find the locations of the others..
I don't think this is the only way to change these image's but it's the only way I know of.

Post anymore questions, you have i'll try and answer them and if needed update/edit the tut.

01-19-2008 08:30 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
thanks banky, ill have a go at this or maybe see if jason can, but as we only have fireworks im not sure how we will get on but thanks for your help its greatly appreciated.
01-19-2008 08:51 PM
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
thanks banky, ill have a go at this or maybe see if jason can, but as we only have fireworks im not sure how we will get on but thanks for your help its greatly appreciated.

No, problem..I'm sure if  Fireworks has Rulers etc it should be able to be done.
01-19-2008 09:12 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
yeah i dont know if it has rules but it has 4 boxes for image positioning, basically you have height, width, x & y so we would just need to work out how to position them across the x and y axis's, i think thats the only thing we will have to overcome to do in fireworks.

my biggest concern is that in the skin araura messenger they had a resources.dll file and about 30 seperate image references that were used in combination with the 591 image to make it work, the image wasnt so much what we anticipated problems with its the creating a resource.dll file that we have no clue in doing, if we can create that we could probably figure out how to adapt araura skins skininfo code to pull this off.

EDIT:

i have the reshacker program to create .dll's i just dont know anything about how to use the program to make them from scratch.

This post was edited on 01-19-2008 at 09:30 PM by stuartbennett.
01-19-2008 09:29 PM
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
Hmm.. Sounds odd wonder why they  did a dll.. I'll talk to willz later when he sign onto msn and have him check out this thread.. See what input he can give you.
01-19-2008 09:32 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: