What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » avast! Antivirus

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
avast! Antivirus
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: avast! Antivirus
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

Run. Run now. Search anywhere on the Internet, and you will see how much that is bullshit. Sure, Norton does provide all of that, but the problems it brings with it far outweigh the benefits. The biggest problem is the footprint it places on your computer. It uses way too much for resources.
Norton 2004-2006 used a ton of resources, however, Norton 2008 is rated to use 9MB, I'm running it right now, and i've actually seen it dip up to 12MB rarely (at the time i'm writing this reply, it is using 6MB of memory, All of its processes added together) but never more unless it is scanning, which is normal for all AntiVirus.

quote:
It does not find some things, and gives false positives for other things (*cough* Messenger Plus *cough*).

Norton AntiVirus 2006 and Previous Versions did have an issue where they detected Messenger Plus! (Live) as a threat, which was again recently brought up during Beta Testing of the latest version.  However, much of the program has been reworked for the 2007 and 2008 versions of the product, and it is continually improving.  Messenger Plus! Live is not detected as a threat in the 2007 and 2008 versions of Norton software.

Symantec Corporation (Makers of "Norton" products) has gotten the Virus Bulletin 100 award for several years now for detecting all threats that they tested for.

Most of the bias and bad press you will find for Symantecs Norton products regarding memory consumption and detection issues are by people who used the 2004-2006 product lines and have not tested/reused the 2007 and 2008 version of the software and continue to blur their bias opinions onto these new versions without actually trying them.  Therefore, I suggest you download a trial from Symantecs Website and give it a go yourself.

quote:

I personally have used AVG for many years without problem. And it can be turned off without difficulty, unlike other products. It can also be uninstalled, and its free.

AVG, the same antivirus that deleted/removed access to itself when a virus infected the system?  I've seen this problem a lot with AVG, and no AntiVirus scanner should be weak enough that a virus can bust through and actually infect the antivirus product itself so it deletes itself.  Not to mention, AVG is also known for detecting Messenger Plus! (Live) as Malware.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

I work doing IT support for my hall at Uni and half the problems I encounter are due to Norton.....and the damn thing takes ages to uninstall.....it's more like a virus than a piece of helpful software!

Again, depends on which version of Norton this is.  Norton 2004-2006 was a dodgy product, and 2007/2008 began improving upon/fixing the problems finally.  Uninstall for me is reasonable amount of time.

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
I use McAfee Virus Enterprise 7.10 Im pretty happy with it and it detects every thing (up till now...).  I dont pay for it either cus it runs off a university server lol

I tried McAfee from 2006-2007 and ditched it to return to Norton midway through 2007 because McAfee was no longer updating its virus definitions as rapidly as I'd have liked (I reported a virus to them, it took them more than 24 days to get me a virus definition, compared to 2005 when it took them about 12 hours to get a virus definition out).
01-29-2008 11:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
AVG, the same antivirus that deleted/removed access to itself when a virus infected the system?  I've seen this problem a lot with AVG, and no AntiVirus scanner should be weak enough that a virus can bust through and actually infect the antivirus product itself so it deletes itself.  Not to mention, AVG is also known for detecting Messenger Plus! (Live) as Malware.

lies. i have two pcs with avg and that does not happen,
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-30-2008 12:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: avast! Antivirus
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by Dane

lies. i have two pcs with avg and that does not happen,

Not lies voldies, that happened to me sometime ago :P
Avg acted dodgy and detected Plus! as malware
and had some problems :P
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
01-30-2008 12:35 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
I've never had problems! I guess I have the special version.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-30-2008 12:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Well, on a related note, I'm trying to find an anti-virus program to run on my server machine. AVG doesn't want to install under Win 2003, because my "licence code does not allow such an application"

Anyone know of a (hopefully free) AV that will run on Windows 2003?
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-31-2008 10:31 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: