What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » More than one?

More than one?
Author: Message:
Justin

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. More than one?
Hi, I just wanted to know if it is possible to install more than one messenger at a time, e.g get WLM 8.5 working alongside MSN 7.5. Is this possible or not?  I read somewhere that it was (im pretty sure it was on these forums, but i couldnt find anything). Anyway please help me im desperate :P
02-04-2008 01:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: More than one?
quote:
This guide is split into the following 5 steps:

1. We start off by uninstalling any instances of MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger. A reboot after uninstallation is optional.
   2. Next up, we download the latest version of MSN Messenger 7.5 (which only works for Windows XP and newer) from the Messenger website located at http://messenger.msn.com. Once downloaded, run the installer and finish installing MSN 7.5.
   3. Exit MSN Messenger 7.5 if running, now open up Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\. Here you need to rename the folder called MSN Messenger to 'MSN Messenger_75'.
   4. Now its time to download the latest build of Windows Live Messenger. Once downloaded, run the installer and finish the installation (a reboot may be needed).
   5. Finally, you can create shortcuts to 'C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger_75\msnmsgr.exe' (MSN 7.5) and 'C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe' (WLM) on your desktop (as seen in the screenshot above) so that you can easily start either version at any time.

Once done, you should successfully have both Windows Live Messenger 8.0 and MSN 7.5 installed on your computer. To switch between them, exit whichever one you are already running and start the other. For example, if you are running Live Messenger and want to switch to Messenger 7.5, simply exit Live Messenger 8.0 and then start 7.5.

That's for WLM 8.0 and 7.5, but the same applies for 8.5

Basically.

Install 7.5 => Change Directory Name
Install 8.5

Enjoy :p

This post was edited on 02-04-2008 at 01:23 AM by prashker.
02-04-2008 01:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Justin

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: More than one?
Thank you, tou have helped me quite a few times since i been on these forums. But i know have a diffrent problem. 8.5 signs in fine while i keep getting an error code on 7.5, error 80072ee7.

Edit: Where can i find a port for 7.5? Also Where can i find the last build of Plus! for 7.5? And what changes will i have to make to it. If any...

This post was edited on 02-04-2008 at 02:54 AM by Justin.
02-04-2008 01:45 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
RE: More than one?
quote:
Originally posted by JustIncredible
Also Where can i find the last build of Plus! for 7.5?
http://msgpluslive.net/download/old/
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6575 days, 6 hours, 33 minutes, 7 seconds ago.

02-04-2008 03:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Justin

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: More than one?
Can someone help with this? I tried to download WLM8.1 tryed to install and i came up with this message 'You need XP or higher to run WLM' im running Vista Home Premium.
02-05-2008 06:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: