What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus [PHOTO ALBUM VIRUS]

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus [PHOTO ALBUM VIRUS]
Author: Message:
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Happy  REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus [PHOTO ALBUM VIRUS]

How to remove Windows Live messenger/MSN Messenger VIRUSES.

If you have a virus releated to your WLM (for example you keep sending files and links to people) These are some simple fixes to help you get back to normal.

Solution 1 =>

If your sending links to people on your contact list when your not online and have not seen this happen (your friends told you) its most likely that you have put you E-Mail and password in a website (blockchecker's ect). These sites are NOT GOOD and of course Block Checkers DO NOT work. However there is a basic fix for this.

1. Log into your Web Based hotmail account. (here) . Then go to options> More options> View and edit your personal information> and next to password click change. Change your password to something else that you will remember. Then Change you secret question to something else.

If your using the older version you just need to click on options.

After that you BOTS should not be logging into your account and sending files and links.

Solution 2 =>

When your using your Windows Live Messenger account on msn and you send files and links to people and you can see it happing follow these steps.

1.  Log out of MSN and exit the application then do step 1.

2. Scan your pc for viruses using an anti virus program. Most people have this already installed but if you don't have anti virus. You can install many free ones that have scanners as well of real time protection. (I use AVG).
Now download SpyBot S&D and clean out any problems you have in your system.

SpyBot - S&D
AGV - Free Edition
NOD32 Paid But Good!

3. Delete these registry entries by going to Start>Run>REGEDIT.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]
"rdfhost"
"rdihost"
"rdshost"

2. Restart WINDOWS ASAP.

3. Delete these files:
%Windows%\photo album.zip
%System%\rdfhost.dll
%System%\rdihost.dll
%System%\rdshost.dll

Solution 3 =>

Back up any important MP!L setting and WLM stuff then reinstall Windows Live Messenger by using the official install from http://windowslive.com. Then remove all ad-ons that you know you don't need or don't know what it is. (Not Plus) If you have SweetIM or Smiley Central you can UNInstall them by following this topic.

How to prevent these viruses!

1. Do not give you login details to any site other than live.com/msn.com/hotmail.com/windowslive.com but most of the time you will use http://account.live.com/ (ALSO: Block Checkers DO NOT WORK - Info)
2. Always have a running anti virus that is reguarly updated.
3. Do not install programs if you don't know what they do.
4. Always be sure what your accepting when someone's sending you a file.

What do these viruses do and why?

Well the photo album virus try's to spread its self more and more. Some viruses can be harmful to your pc. They can store your login passwords, make your pc do unwanted things and can cause serious data loss or system damage. For more information on viruses click here.

I have done all these but there still there!

Well google around and look for an answer. If you can't resolve your problem you can post it on the forums. 

Now You're done you should be virus clean :)

Thanks for reading (there may be errors please correct me if there is) - Hopes this helps you figure out any problems :)

This post was edited on 02-24-2008 at 11:46 AM by Quantum.
No longer here.
02-09-2008 04:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
duck!

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus.[Applies mostly to the PHOTO ALB..
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
4. Always be shure what your accepting when someone's sending you a file.
Shure? I believe you mean "sure".

Edit:
quote:
Then remove all ad-ons taht you know you don't need or don't know what it is. (Not Plus) If you have SweetIM or Smiley Central you can UNInstall them by following this topic.
*That

quote:
Now your done you should be virus clean
*You're

quote:
WindowsLiveMessenger by using the official install from http://live.com.
*Windows Live Messenger
*installer
Also the link links to Live Search, The correct link for the Installer is http://www.windowslive.com/

This post was edited on 02-09-2008 at 05:31 PM by duck!.
QUACK QUACK QUACK

02-09-2008 05:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How to REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus.[Applies mostly to the PHOTO ALB..
I expected this! Thanks! All fixed.
No longer here.
02-09-2008 06:00 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How to REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus.[Applies mostly to the PHOTO ALB..
I don't think spelling and grammar are the most important thing here; he posted information to help members and that should be received well rather than being overly scrutinized.

We get so many posts about virii popping up that this should be stickied IMO
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-09-2008 06:42 PM
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: How to REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus.[Applies mostly to the PHOTO A
quote:

1. Do not give you login details to any site other than live.com/msn.com/hotmail.com/windowslive.com

Actually, thats wrong. live.com/msn.com/hotmail.com/windowslive.com Will never request information (password)

Thats something else that is tricking people, some ''fail'' into it and actually give their info to ''msn'' and its actually another random webpage, and your info goes to the wrong person :P
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
02-09-2008 06:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Will never request information (password)

other than.. you know... when  logging in?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-09-2008 06:55 PM
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
I mean, they wont contact you by email, and say, hey men i need your password, please give it to me so i can make some changes in your account, something like that :P!

Its obvious that you give info, when logging in :P
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
02-09-2008 06:58 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
1. Log into your Web Based hotmail account. (here) . Then go to options> More options> View and edit your personal information> and next to password click change. Change your password to something else that you will remember. Then Change you secret question to something else.
Considering that not every Windows Live ID owner has to have a Hotmail service, this method may not work for everyone. So the proper address to change antything related to Windows Live account should be http://account.live.com/
02-09-2008 07:54 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus [PHOTO ALBUM VIRUS]
Well i updated the topic with what viruses do and changed some errors. Anything you think i should add?
No longer here.
02-11-2008 05:12 PM
duck!

– / Male / Flag
RE: REMOVE the Windows Live/MSN Messenger Virus [PHOTO ALBUM VIRUS]
quote:
Some virues can be harmful to your pc.
*Viruses

btw, Good guide :P
QUACK QUACK QUACK