What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Now playing issue

Now playing issue
Author: Message:
mogster

O.P. Now playing issue
Despite having the Winamp MSN plugin, MSN won't let me show what I'm listening to. In Windows Live Messenger, when I go to "Show what I'm listening to", I get this:
"This feature requires Windows Media Player 9 or later. To install the latest version of Windows Media Player, press OK"

Right, there's a reason my windows installation doesn't have media player, I don't need it, I hate it for various reasons and I used vLite to remove it. Since this is Vista we're talking about, Microsoft doesn't provide a setup file for WMP11, since it comes integrated with Vista already. So I can't reinstall it back into the OS unless I recompile a build of Vista, format, and reinstall everything - which I'm not going to do for the sake of showing people what I listen to.

So I'm wondering if anyone can create a plugin of somesort, or tell me how to bypass this restriction...
02-18-2008 08:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Stereophoney

RE: Now playing issue
Hey,

I'm currently having the exact same issue only I currently have wmp11 installed.

Ive checked the relevent plugins are enabled in windows media player etc but I still get the same message asking me to install wmp 9 or later. I even followed the link it provided to download it, and it still does not work??

Any ideas as I'm also well and truly baffled!
02-21-2008 07:50 PM
mogster

O.P. RE: Now playing issue
Glad to see I'm not the only person...
02-24-2008 12:44 AM
freak544

35 / Male / Flag
Try looking in the plug-ins section on the media player your using as it may not be enabled I know that for wmp11 its not the messenger plug in that needs to be enabled think its the true something one can't quite remember the name of it
02-24-2008 01:42 AM
mogster

Nope, I can't find *anything* on this. Heck, google is already turning this up. So unless someone writes a plugin or crack, we're out in the cold.
02-24-2008 08:00 PM
chris89

I've had this problem for a while now.

I have been contacting the support team for a while now and they have come up with loads of solutions, none of which have worked.

Now they are asking for me to send them information on my operating system etc. and asking for my permission to access my Windows Live account.

Obviously not a very easy solution.

The one I thought that would work was starting the computer in safe mode, removing the plug in from Windows Media Player, uninstalling WMP, then restarting and installing WMP again.

But that did not work, probably because WMP didn't actually uninstall it just rolled back to the previous version.
02-24-2008 11:25 PM
chris89

Anyone got a solution yet?
03-08-2008 09:35 PM
mogster

Yes, actually.
http://all-streaming-media.com/faq/media-players/...-Windows-Vista.htm

That'll allow you to install WMP10 on Vista, however, it'll completely f00k MTP support.
06-28-2008 09:33 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: