What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Exporting Contact list

Exporting Contact list
Author: Message:
Finster32

O.P. Exporting Contact list
Please HELP!!!!

I am trying to export my Windows Messenger Live contacts.  I have roughly 120 contacts.  I am going to the contact list then choosing save instant messenging contacts.

This puts an icon on my desktop.  However, the file ony has 64 names in the list.  I cant figure out why it wont bring all 120 over.   I need to get this list out to my entire department for them to easily add these names to their list by importing my ctt file.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
03-11-2008 09:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Exporting Contact list
Try on a different computer. It's likely that it's a problem with the computer. Try ticking 'Show all contacts'.

Try clicking the button with 'two arrows' and viewing your contacts by status, instead of groups and then save them.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
03-12-2008 03:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I tried that now. The "save contacts" function in WLM doesn't save non-instant contacts, it saves only instant messaging contacts. So probably the contacts from 65 to 120 are non-instant ones.

But you can still include them in exported contacts file but not from WLM. Enter Windows Live Hotmail's Contacts page ( http://mail.live.com ) and select "Export Contacts" from the Options menu in that page. Then all of your contacts will be saved as an CSV file and your colleagues can import it from again Windows Live Hotmail's interface. If you and/or your colloeagues use non-Microsoft e-mail address(es), so cannot access Windows Live Hotmail, then make all contacts instant-messaging contacts by Editing them (you have to type an email in "Instant message address" area and tick the option "Use with Windows Live Messenger"). Then your colleagues can import that CCT file which you exported with Windows Live Messenger's interface.
03-23-2008 02:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Finster32

O.P. RE: Exporting Contact list
ahmetgns:
I appreciate the reply.  I dont mean to sound too ignorant, but I dont understand what you mean by instant/non-instant contacts.
I have created this list by a mixture of manually adding entries into WLM as well as through my Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) contacts.  These last 40 names I entered, I dod it from outlook by right clicking their email and selecting "add to messenging contacts".  Not sure if this helps or not in further explaining.  P.S. we do not use hotmail so I dont have these listed as a hotmail contact.  At least not that I know of.
03-24-2008 01:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Instant messaging contacts are the ones who will be shown as Online to you in your contact list when they sign in to Messenger service. Non-instant messaging contacts are regular contacts who will be shown as regular address book entries, they are passive contacts, you cannot see them Online and chat with them.

Also I noticed one thing concerning Messenger's Export contact option, it says "Save instant message contacts" so it warns that it will only save those ones, not regular ones, even if you "Show all contacts" like Chris4 said above.

Also
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
If you and/or your colloeagues use non-Microsoft e-mail address(es), so cannot access Windows Live Hotmail, then make all contacts instant-messaging contacts by Editing them (you have to type an email in "Instant message address" area and tick the option "Use with Windows Live Messenger"). Then your colleagues can import that CCT file which you exported with Windows Live Messenger's interface.
I noticed that this is just wrong. Because even if you tick the "Use with WLM" option for a contact, if s/he is not a registered Windows Live address, then it will not still be added to CCT file.

But even if your accounts are non-Microsoft, you can sign in on some programs other than Messenger which supports retrieving Windows Live Contacts. There is one I know; Windows Live Mail. You can sign in with that program and export contacts to a CSV file again and your colleagues can import that file by signing in on that same program. So I think all contacts including non-instant ones will be imported now. You can download Windows Live Mail from http://get.live.com/
03-24-2008 02:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: