What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Need help with SATA and XP

Need help with SATA and XP
Author: Message:
Aeryn

– / Female / –
O.P. Need help with SATA and XP
Here's the situation. It's a new laptop that came with no software, and I wanted to install XP on it. But alas, XP thinks there is no HDD, so it can't install. As I was kindly told on IRC earlier, XP and SATA don't mix well, so I read around on the Internet and concluded that I need SATA driver(s).

(I did read about how to install it without a floppy drive etc, so that's not an issue.)

My real problem is, I don't really know what kinda driver I need. The HDD is, according to BIOS, a Samsung HM250JI. And as for any information about the chipset, the only thing I could find out was that it's "Intel 965PM chip". The latter piece of info led me to here, and now I'm wondering, are those okay?

I did email the customer service of my computer shop with this as well, but I don't expect a very useful reply, so I really hope you guys can help me. ;(
02-28-2008 10:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Need help with SATA and XP
You probably want the second one on the list. (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?http...FullName=&lang=eng)

If you don't have a working floppy disk, you can use nLite's Drivers page to integrate the drivers into a windows CD.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-29-2008 03:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
You'll also need to find out how to actually extract the drivers from the floppy image (unless you read how to do that earlier on...) (I can't remember exactly but it's a relatively simple process). But  your computer came with NOTHING? What does that mean? No programs/drivers installed or no operating system or ANYTHING installed...

This post was edited on 02-29-2008 at 09:05 AM by Aardvark.
02-29-2008 09:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
You'll also need to find out how to actually extract the drivers from the floppy image (unless you read how to do that earlier on...) (I can't remember exactly but it's a relatively simple process). But  your computer came with NOTHING? What does that mean? No programs/drivers installed or no operating system or ANYTHING installed...
blank HDD, I guess.
[Image: jumbled.png]
02-29-2008 09:19 AM
Aeryn

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: RE: Need help with SATA and XP
Thanks, shawnz! Yeah, I did get nLite, it's such a nifty little thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark

Actually I came across a little guide that indicated where to find the drivers that are extracted when you run the exe. I found them and nLite also showed it was the right thing. And yeah, simple process the floppy thing may be, but I think I don't have any blank floppies left. >.<

And indeed, that PC came with no software installed, only a drivers disk came with it (and of course, no SATA drivers or anything like that on it). I chose it that way because with software it would have been a lot more expensive. (Though now I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, since I never guessed I'd have problems with not recognizing the HDD. :p)

Anyway, I'll try the CD created by nLite today and post back after. *prays it will work*

Edit: it did work! :D

This post was edited on 02-29-2008 at 06:12 PM by Aeryn.
02-29-2008 12:31 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
Shame there is no other way to install it... without nLite what could be done? *sigh*
02-29-2008 06:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Need help with SATA and XP
I had this exact same problem when I was on holidays and I got my new laptop. Installing XP didn't work so I tried a whole range of different things, most of them somehow revolving around the preinstalled environment of Vista's install disk. (Desperately trying SOMEHOW to make winnt32.exe run without the compatibility problems of running it on Vista). At one stage I thought of nLiting every single driver I had on my computer...which took a while so I kinda gave up. When I got home I had a bit of a google and it turned out that was basically what I had to do all along...if only I looked that up BEFORE I went on a 4 week holiday. :P

This post was edited on 03-01-2008 at 12:39 AM by Aardvark.
03-01-2008 12:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWizard
Shame there is no other way to install it... without nLite what could be done? *sigh*

with a driver floppy disk...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-01-2008 02:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWizard

with a driver floppy disk...
I meant the newest laptops which don't include a floppy drive? You'll need to buy an external one.

This post was edited on 03-01-2008 at 09:18 AM by YottabyteWizard.
03-01-2008 09:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: