What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Author: Message:
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
This is for Patchou :)

Lately some of the scripts posted (IPGet, Status Icon and Received Files Sorter to name a few) only work on XP and not on Vista. Seeing as Vista is everyday used by more and more people, I believe the scripting API should be changed/updated to make sure that all scripts work on XP AND Vista.
03-03-2008 10:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
The reason it's not working on Vista is that the scripts are using DLLs, these DLLs aren't scripts, and they might not work under different versions of Windows. There's nothing Patchou can do about it, and there's nothing to modify in the scripting API. The author of the script must update his DLL in order to make the script work with Vista.
4 8 15 16 23 42
03-03-2008 11:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
The reason it's not working on Vista is that the scripts are using DLLs, these DLLs aren't scripts, and they might not work under different versions of Windows. There's nothing Patchou can do about it, and there's nothing to modify in the scripting API. The author of the script must update his DLL in order to make the script work with Vista.

Beat me to it. It's vista not being compatible with XP really seeing as they do work with XP. There is nothing plus can do to fix it
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-03-2008 11:08 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Well can't Patchou limit the usage of DLLs to those DLLs which are both in and compatible with XP and Vista?
03-03-2008 11:09 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
No. Script are either compatable with VISTA or not. Same as skins are for 8.5 or 9.0. There is no need to imposed restrictions and it would infact limit scripters in the ability to create new features for the rest of us. Someone only has XP and so can't make a VISTA script... Sound fair that nobody gets to use the hottest new feature? (N)

It's all fine how it is... If it bugs you that much, either setup a dual-boot machine or learn to run Virtual Desktops
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-03-2008 11:19 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Well can't Patchou limit the usage of DLLs to those DLLs which are both in and compatible with XP and Vista?
And prevent people from making XP-only scripts (for whatever reason; eg: personal use)? Personaly, I wouldn't like that at all. I even don't see why he should do something like this... It would be even worse than MS ending support for XP....

It is just up to the script developers to make sure their public scripts work on both OSs or at least check on the OS and/or put a note in the scripts or something.

This post was edited on 03-04-2008 at 12:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-03-2008 11:21 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I agree that scripts should be compatible with XP and Vista, x86 and x64. However, this is all the responsability of the script developer depending on the external APIs he uses. The scripting API itself is completely compatible with all versions of Windows and Messenger, that's something I believe in and I don't hesitate to make sacrifices when needed. Still, there'S not much I can do about the code of others.

What will happen is that I'll start removing scripts that are not compatible in Vista from the official database. That will be happening around the summer.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-04-2008 12:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Personally, I so don't agree with that.... maybe putting up a note saying "XP only", but removing them?
03-04-2008 12:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
riahc4, this isn't about what is the "best" OS.

EDIT: apparently someone removed riahc4's post which showed a survey from NeoWin users of what OS they use. He claimed that "And I think those at NeoWin knowns what is best".

This post was edited on 03-24-2008 at 06:07 PM by CookieRevised.
03-04-2008 01:03 AM
Naruto-SR

43 / Male / Flag
Personally I agree with Cookie, scripts should not be removed from the database, like Cookie said if you put up a little tag like this: 'Compatibility: This script works in both XP and Vista'.

Also, again to agree with Cookie, XP is still holds the major amount to users rather than Vista, hardly anybody wants to upgrade to Vista, it took me several years to upgrade from Windows 95 to XP.

My two cents (Y).
03-04-2008 01:54 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: