What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Author: Message:
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Then implement this

[Image: browsebyostd2.jpg]

Then everyone is happy ;) you should find what you want faster.

And sorry for the crappy button :P i just made it as an example

And why the windows logo there? tell me.. Is there Plus! for any other OS?
:P!

Maybe not as a button, but sort them by os, too :)
03-04-2008 02:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Then implement this

[Image: browsebyostd2.jpg]

Then everyone is happy ;) you should find what you want faster.

And sorry for the crappy button :P i just made it as an example

And why the windows logo there? tell me.. Is there Plus! for any other OS?
:P!

Maybe not as a button, but sort them by os, too :)
Or you could just hide the scripts that aren't compatible....

I agree with Cookie entirely, XP is used by a lot more people.  The Neowin tech site has many people that like to have the latest in technology and if it is that close among them, then the rest of the community are even less likely to have it.

I personally am not planning on even looking at moving over until next year, hopefully by that stage MS will have improved it to a reasonable level.  Service Pack 3 for XP is going to keep a lot of people using the product as well.

Scripts should be compatible with every version of Windows in a perfect world, but I personally believe that we need to cull the scripts that are poorly coded before we get rid of those that are only compatible with XP.  And I reiterate what I have said in numerous places, scripts should be made to be on the scripts forum first so that problems with the code can first be fixed and the code reviewed (well at least the opportunity).  We have many people around here that do that already with whatever they see.

Further, many developers don't have vista and as such cannot test to see that their script works, and they aren't aware of any possible problems as they have never coded for it.  I guess this is further reason to make sure that there are threads for each and every script in the database....
[Image: markee.png]
03-04-2008 02:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'll do what's bet for my users. If lots of people use Vista and try to download scripts that cause problems in their Messenger, then these scripts will be removed. These scripts can stay in other public databnases. The msgplus's DB is not a repository for all scripts ever made, it's a DB of scripts that are supposed to be easily usable by the majority.

Scritps that are poorly coded and that can cause problems as a result have nothing to do in the DB either, I agree. If you know some, please email MenthiX about that for a review. I want a clean and friendly DB.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-04-2008 05:56 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
Riahc4:
People doesn't use Vista because it's "best". It's much less stable than XP, but it's new and is everywhere, newspapers, ads etc. Probably 50% of the users use Vista because it got included with their PC when they bought it. I know you don't want it to be that way, I also think that the best software would be the popular one, but that's not how reality works. It's all about the userbase.
The reason Messenger Plus! got so popular was probably because it required your friends to have it as well to see the colors in your nickname, a lot of people must have promoted Messenger Plus!.
And Messenger Plus! is pretty well coded, and doesn't have many bugs like other addons had. But these other addons have fixed mostly of the bugs, but their reputation is still quite bad.
Another thing that bothers me is how could Windows Vista be a standard when no old standards work on it? The reason mostly of the scripts aren't working in Messenger Plus! is because Vista removed support for old standards (for example, VB6 ActiveX support). What were Microsoft thinking?
This new security thing in Vista called UAC is another stupid feature of Vista as well, luckily you can turn it off. If you want to rename a folder, you have to press "I accept" at least 3 times (if you change the file-extension). 3/4's of all users just click Accept anyway, because they get so used to it (a research was made about this recently).

On Patchou:
I think that you should open a small XP category in the script database (which would say "Windows XP Only" with red text), with scripts that only work with XP. I don't think that you should let down your script-developers (the ones using DLLs has put down a lot of time and thinking in them, this is the least you could do).
Also, you mustn't forget that they're using a DLL for a reason. To make up to the developer whose script you removed, you can implement something similar in Messenger Plus! (either as a feature or as functions in the Plus! API) like the ability to read sockets, you already use it in Messenger Plus!, why not let the scripting test it?
I know it could cause some problems if you parse it incorrectly, it might get buggy, but you can make it read-only so we can at least get events for other stuff like file-transfers.
Edit: Forgot to say that scripts written with DLLs often has very unique features, which us, the XP-users want to take advantage of. If you add the XP-category, that won't be a problem for any of us, nor Vista users or XP users.

This post was edited on 03-24-2008 at 05:40 PM by vikke.
4 8 15 16 23 42
03-24-2008 05:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
quote:
And Neowin is a tech site
exactly, I rest my case....
A tech site would know which OS is the best right?
This isn't about what is "best".
Oh no? Then why does Plus! have more users than other addons?

Because it is the best. Period.
Best support.
Best features.
Most stable.

It is about the best. Not what you want.
You're completely missing the point and mixing things up.

A tech site like NeoWin has very obviously a lot of tech-oriented users. It is no surprise that such people quite often use the latest technolgies, not always because it is best, but because it is the latest; hence why they like a site as NeoWin so much. The whole essence for them is talking about technology and new stuff. They are, however, not represenative when it comes down to the 'common user'.

As vikke explained, this is not about what is "best". It is about what is used the most by the 'common' people.... And even if that is Vista (which I personally doubt), I don't see why 'XP-only' scripts should be simply removed, just like that, because you happen to use Vista.

----

Though I understand Patchou's POV that the DB isn't a DB for all existing scripts ever made, but it would be easy and more user-friendly imho to flag such existing scripts as XP-only instead. So that people who still use XP (which are still a lot; even on the 'tech-side'; see NeoWin's survey) can still use the DB if they want that particular XP-only script. For Vista users it would be easy to see that that particular script is XP-only, no harm done...

And I'm sure that if 'XP-only' scripts will be removed, there will be some outcry. Having an additional OS field in the scripts' descriptions and/or a category to choose from seems to be the best for both. In fact, I'm surprised why it isn't already there, afterall some scripts' descriptions also include "Messenger x.x only", which is kind of the same thing.

Vista is already pushed in our faces too much (imho), no matter how good or how bad it is. I hate to see Plus! going in the same direction (Plu$!), although I'm just a user.

This post was edited on 03-24-2008 at 06:31 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-24-2008 06:01 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:

I hate to see Plus! going in the same direction (Plu$!)
That is one of the oldest and childish cheap shots to take at MS. Grow up.

By your logic Cookie since alot of people still use 98SE and 2000 Plus! should be still supported on these platforms. Patchou shouldnt have stopped with Plus!; Patchou should have kept on with Plus! and Plus! Live at the same time....
03-24-2008 09:02 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:

By your logic Cookie since alot of people still use 98SE and 2000 Plus! should be still supported on these platforms. Patchou shouldnt have stopped with Plus!; Patchou should have kept on with Plus! and Plus! Live at the same time....

Yes, because we all wanna wait even longer between releases. Plus! 3 is in a stable state with enough features to keep the users happy. The only reason MP!L is continued with is because M$ are trying to force WLM onto people in XP and Vista rather than their predecessors. It's understandable that companies want to further their products and still support older versions for people that prefer them, but they aren't just one man are they?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-24-2008 09:14 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well its kinda infeasible time-wise to be coding for 2 almost completely different programs...would you rather wait twice the time for the next Plus! Live version to come out? I doubt that.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6557 days, 12 hours, 18 minutes, 54 seconds ago.

03-24-2008 09:15 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Riahc4:
People doesn't use Vista because it's "best". It's much less stable than XP,

Really? So your posting on a forum and yet dont know how to make your PC stable? Amazing...
I dont know where people get this "less stable" crap; My PC runs great on Vista with 0 issues. Alot of people I know dont have any issues with Vista. Everyone bitched when XP came out and now everyone wants the same thing with Vista

quote:
Probably 50% of the users use Vista because it got included with their PC when they bought it.

With that made up statistic, did you know that PCs with Vista included have sold more than double than PCs with XP in the same lifetime period?

quote:

Another thing that bothers me is how could Windows Vista be a standard when no old standards work on it? The reason mostly of the scripts aren't working in Messenger Plus! is because Vista removed support for old standards (for example, VB6 ActiveX support). What were Microsoft thinking?
Keyword: old
So hey we should have support Betamax on Vista right?
Or support for MCA?

quote:

This new security thing in Vista called UAC is another stupid feature of Vista as well, luckily you can turn it off. If you want to rename a folder, you have to press "I accept" at least 3 times (if you change the file-extension). 3/4's of all users just click Accept anyway, because they get so used to it (a research was made about this recently).

You do the exact same thing in OSX/Unix/most other operating systems. Whenever you do something that modifies system settings a dialog comes up "Accept or reject" and if you are not a admin, you must type a admin password and press "Accept or reject" Now because Windows does it, its wrong?
And I just renamed a folder. Guess how many UAC's came up? 0.
Dont know what pirate beta you are using but stop spreading BS.

Like I said: Id like for scripts to be forced to work on both Vista/XP but if not I perfer a more modern, stable, better, improved, and technologically advanced OS which is Vista.

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:

Yes, because we all wanna wait even longer between releases. Plus! 3 is in a stable state with enough features to keep the users happy. The only reason MP!L is continued with is because M$ are trying to force WLM onto people in XP and Vista rather than their predecessors. It's understandable that companies want to further their products and still support older versions for people that prefer them, but they aren't just one man are they?
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Well its kinda infeasible time-wise to be coding for 2 almost completely different programs...would you rather wait twice the time for the next Plus! Live version to come out? I doubt that.

I was talking about Cookie's logic; I am glad the old Plus! died seeing as Plus! Live is alot better :)
03-24-2008 09:17 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
I was talking about Cookie's logic; I am glad the old Plus! died seeing as Plus! Live is alot better
It didn't die: Microsoft forced the majority of users to upgrade the version of messenger they were using, to a version incompatible with Messenger Plus.

And quit arguing, will you? Ever hear the saying 'quit while you're ahead'? and what about 'arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics...'
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-24-2008 09:32 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: