What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vi
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I hate to see Plus! going in the same direction (Plu$!)
That is one of the oldest and childish cheap shots to take at MS. Grow up.
Oh please... don't say you actually fail to understand what I'm talking about here.... :rolleyes:

If you actually read what I wrote before that, you would understand that 'Plu$!' is a analogy to how people (read: people, not me!) sometimes refer to MS because they think it's nothing more than an money-oriented company. And this quite often comes from the fact that MS sometimes forces people to upgrade (to expensive updates)... although the updates are with good reasons (mostly todo with security), but that is NOT how those people see this. In the same analogy, if the script DB is going to be 'upgraded' those very same people might make the very same analogy and start thinking that Patchou is doing exactly the same thing; promoting Vista and thus almost forcing people to upgrade (read:buy) Vista and thus calling it Plu$!.

I'm the last one who would use "M$". If I thought it was M$ I wouldn't use Windows, wouldn't be interested in being a beta tester and improving their products, wouldn't defend them if someone uses M$ to bash them, wouldn't be a butterfly, nor a mvp.

And to react on your other reply: Win98/2000 vs. XP can not be compared to XP vs. Vista, yet... Vista isn't even out for 2 years, SP1 isn't even released fully to everyone, etc.... We are talking about Vista here, not about an OS which is already decades old and which has no support anymore for many hardware. :rolleyes:

(in fact, it is Vista which still has problems with some hardware support. So far for being "best")

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Riahc4:
People doesn't use Vista because it's "best". It's much less stable than XP,
Really? So your posting on a forum and yet dont know how to make your PC stable? Amazing...
I dont know where people get this "less stable" crap; My PC runs great on Vista with 0 issues. Alot of people I know dont have any issues with Vista. Everyone bitched when XP came out and now everyone wants the same thing with Vista
1) Since when do you need to know how to make an OS stable in order to post on a forum?
2) Yes, the bitching starts again (it starts with every new OS), but that is no reason to remove stuff related to an OS which is still among the most used OSs. Again, it comes down to the userbase, imo.

quote:
quote:
Probably 50% of the users use Vista because it got included with their PC when they bought it.

With that made up statistic, did you know that PCs with Vista included have sold more than double than PCs with XP in the same lifetime period?
As long as I don't see figures, I assume that is hear-say also. Even then, other factors might be in play here. eg: cheaper prices maybe? The growing IT market maybe? More PC-literate people maybe?

quote:
quote:
Another thing that bothers me is how could Windows Vista be a standard when no old standards work on it? The reason mostly of the scripts aren't working in Messenger Plus! is because Vista removed support for old standards (for example, VB6 ActiveX support). What were Microsoft thinking?
Keyword: old
So hey we should have support Betamax on Vista right?
Or support for MCA?
:rolleyes:
FYI, ActiveX is far from 'old' and 'old' is certainly not the reason why there are problems with some ActiveX DLLs on Vista. If it was you wouldn't even be able to use a scripting engine like VBScript, JScript, etc on Vista at all. Not to mention MSIE with all its ActiveX addons and stuff. The reason is most likely security and some APIs used in some ActiveX DLLs which aren't supported by Vista anymore or which are replaced by others.

quote:
Like I said: Id like for scripts to be forced to work on both Vista/XP but if not I perfer a more modern, stable, better, improved, and technologically advanced OS which is Vista.
Then use Vista, and stop demanding that everything must be forcefully compatible with WLM9, betas and what not. (See many previous demands of yours). If you don't like it, don't use it, simple.

quote:
I was talking about Cookie's logic; I am glad the old Plus! died seeing as Plus! Live is alot better :)
My logic? Don't talk about something if you don't understand it.

The comment of yours "That is one of the oldest and childish cheap shots to take at MS. Grow up." shows exactly that you don't understand a thing what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about NOT updating scripts, I'm talking about keeping the (quality) XP-only scripts since some scripts can/are usefull to XP users. And some of them can not be updated for whatever reason (maybe the coder doesn't know how, maybe the coder doesn't have the money to even buy Vista to test, maybe a feature is simply not available in Vista, etc). A simple notice that they are only XP-compatible should be sufficient, imho. If you happen to use Vista, you don't loose anything if they were removed. But if you happen to use XP, it would be a shame that a quality script wouldn't be in the DB anymore (and thus hard to find), just because someone else (aka you) doesn't want to see XP-only scripts, which you could very easly skip over or filter out or whatever.

But for you it seems to be all about forcefully moving towards a brand new thing (including betas, see some of your posts about WLM9 and some scripts) just because you happen to use Vista. In your logic: "if I use Vista, I demand that everybody must use it, and all the rest is crap". Even your very first post in this thread (and other posts in other scripting threads) shows that you don't have much clues why some things aren't possible. All fine, good, ok and all, but even if it's explained to you why it isn't possible or whatever, you still _demand_ that it is done. Nice that you always want the latest, but there might be people which are very happy with what they currently have and who are you to demand that they must use what you use, because that is what you do.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is what I had on my liver atm.

This post was edited on 03-24-2008 at 11:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-24-2008 09:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Cookie I have never said anything about the scripts. I just thought it would be nice to make sure that somehow they are compatible on both systems. Patchou wants to remove all XP only scripts. I agreed with him but this has nothing to do with the original topic.
03-24-2008 11:20 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
Ok, well all the scripts that are for specific messenger versions should be removed too... See how popular that is with users ^o)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-24-2008 11:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
riahc4, ok. Although it's not possible to make everything compatible with Vista.
As for your original topic: the suggestion to limit scripts to only use XP/Vista compatible stuff (which isn't possible anyways) is even far worse than just removing XP-only scripts from the DB. So everything I (and others) said before certainly goes for your original suggestion too.

This post was edited on 03-25-2008 at 12:02 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-24-2008 11:59 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Modify Messenger Plus!'s scripting API so that ALL scripts work on both XP/Vista
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Ok, well all the scripts that are for specific messenger versions should be removed too... See how popular that is with users ^o)
They should.
A script should be fully compatible with all normal versions.
03-25-2008 12:36 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
Letter to Riahc4
[Moderator edit: post moved here from a separate thread]

First off, I'm sorry for having to write this, but I didn't have time to finish my sentence on this topic. Remember, I don't want to get in a fight or something. I think we had an interesting talk, and I would love to continue it (maybe create a forum just about this topic).

So where shall we start? You accuse me of not knowing what a stable computer is. You accuse me of running a pirate version of Windows, something I should never have done (I'm a software developer, and knows that piracy is one of the worst things you could do). And you say I'm talking bullshit. You cannot treat me like that, and I did definitely not treat you the same way or deserve these words. It seems you cannot handle this situation.
I know the topic was closed for a reason, but I couldn't accept the way he was treating me.

Now on Vista, I used the words "less stable than XP", maybe that was the wrong words to say, because you didn't accept them. What I actually meant by stable was about everything, programs, drivers, games, and the actual OS. VB6 DLLs, for an example, are very common today, even if it's old technology. Actually it's the most used kind of DLLs used for ActiveX components. It's like removing support for CRTs totally from Windows, because these screens has been there for 10 years (this might be a little overkill, but you get the idea). Still Microsoft has been working a lot on compatibility with this version and previous ones, with compatibility modes, 16-bit mode etc.

quote:
You do the exact same thing in OSX/Unix/most other operating systems. Whenever you do something that modifies system settings a dialog comes up "Accept or reject" and if you are not a admin, you must type a admin password and press "Accept or reject" Now because Windows does it, its wrong?
And I just renamed a folder. Guess how many UAC's came up? 0.
Dont know what pirate beta you are using but stop spreading BS.
I don't think it's right because other operative systems does this as well, not at all, that was not what I meant. Tell you what, if the UAC came up with 0 dialogs when you renamed the file, then it must have a bug, and isn't working properly (try Windows Update). I'm serious about this.

quote:
Like I said: Id like for scripts to be forced to work on both Vista/XP but if not I perfer a more modern, stable, better, improved, and technologically advanced OS which is Vista.
I get the feeling that you were ironic when you wrote this message, but it turns out you were not ironic at all. I think we can say that Vista is about as stable as XP is, but people seems to have problems with it still today (trust me, I've helped a lot of friends installing games not working).

In the topic, you said that I didn't know anything about computers, and you ask Patchou like a god, please make all scripts work with Vista. You seem to have forgotten that he's not a god, and there's a reason they don't work on Vista, and that is because Vista simply doesn't accept them. So it's the Vista-users fault, for using Vista (I know the users can't help it).

quote:
Really? So your posting on a forum and yet dont know how to make your PC stable? Amazing...
There's no rule on the forums which say you must know how to make your PC stable, not at all. It seems you haven't read the rules after all, that would  also explain your reputation points. You're simply not welcome here.

By the way, I was using a Vista beta, but I'm a MSDN subscriber, so please, shut up about stuff you don't know anything about!

This post was edited on 03-25-2008 at 07:31 PM by WDZ.
4 8 15 16 23 42
03-25-2008 03:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: