What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How do you export contacts AND preserve groups?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
How do you export contacts AND preserve groups?
Author: Message:
Conqueror

O.P. RE: How do you export contacts and preserve groups?
Unforunately, my old account was @hotmail and my new one is @live. So I don't see the option to change my ID. Even if it was possible, I would like to keep my old ID for a while.
Conqueror
03-04-2008 02:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How do you export contacts and preserve groups?
The other option is to export each group (we have/had a script, to choose contacts to export) or you can modify the data in the .ctt

then import each group separately then re-group and rename the group, makes it slightly easier to work with than importing the whole contact list at once
03-04-2008 03:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Conqueror

O.P. RE: How do you export contacts and preserve groups?
Yes, thats what I was thinking about. Exporting each group and then importing and renaming. Modifying the whole .ctt file doesn't improve much on the time it takes and the inconvience.

I am interested to know about that script which lets you export the contacts we choose. I have tried searching for it but didn't find anything.

There are scripts for group blocking. How do they work if they don't have access to group information, as CookieRevised pointed out? Could a script be written from this idea, but instead of blocking the contacts in the group, it could write the contact in a file, one after another in the group.
Conqueror
03-04-2008 03:19 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: How do you export contacts and preserve groups?
quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror
There are scripts for group blocking. How do they work if they don't have access to group information, as CookieRevised pointed out?
IIRC this group blocking script used a custom dll which communicated directly with the WLM api.
It only worked on Vista, I believe.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please :)
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
03-04-2008 03:50 AM
Conqueror

O.P. RE: RE: How do you export contacts and preserve groups?
Group blocking scripts have been in existence since old days! I remember using them. Not sure if they have changed the way they work these days. More than likely that they have. But I am using Vista.

This post was edited on 03-04-2008 at 04:37 AM by Conqueror.
Conqueror
03-04-2008 03:53 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: How do you export contacts AND preserve groups?
The group blocking script did not interact with WLM's contact groups at all. The script uses a user-defined set of groups that need to be created within the script itself, and have no relation to the groups within WLM.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-04-2008 03:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Conqueror

O.P. RE: RE: How do you export contacts AND preserve groups?
What about the older scripts which didn't need groups to be created within the script?
Conqueror
03-04-2008 03:55 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
The group blocking script did not interact with WLM's contact groups at all. The script uses a user-defined set of groups that need to be created within the script itself, and have no relation to the groups within WLM.
Actually, the script I was referring to did use WLM's contact groups.
More info in this thread
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
03-04-2008 03:58 AM
Conqueror

O.P. RE: How do you export contacts AND preserve groups?
Anyway, I don't think I will find a way (unless someone writes a program/script) since I want to export full details about the contacts too, such as first name, last name, address, notes etc. the way you can with normal export through (live) hotmail account... but to preserve the groups the contacts belong to in WLM.

I haven't found anything that can do this. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Actually, exporting names and details of contacts is not an issue since I can transfer full list from one account to another without problems. The details of contacts remain intact and get transfered.

The problem is only preserving the groups that contacts belong to in WLM when importing them from another account.

So there is hope...!
Conqueror
03-04-2008 04:06 AM
smokeya

if you use filemon to check out which files are writ too on adding a group you'll find that for each group created there is an individual RSA encrypted file created in doc & settings/user/contacts/liveid/  with the extention .windowslivegroupfile, or something like that, the more peeps in the group the more populated the file.

unfortunalty these are ecrypted to your user account so you can't simply change them, they're also refferenced in the .cashe contacts file in the same folder.

from what i can work out, it's a standard crypt that just groups your contacts in each file. unfortunalty it was an oversite on the orriginal devs not to put the damned groupings in the orriginal XML file used with just the live ID's,

these encrypted files will hold 'i belive' all contact inf about each contact. if they don't and only simply hold the live ID of you contacts then why in the world are they encrpyted. oh well.
08-15-2008 10:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: