What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How to get command prompt before windows loading

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
How to get command prompt before windows loading
Author: Message:
UDcc123

O.P. How to get command prompt before windows loading
HELP.

I had 2 csrss.exe files running on my Dell PC and read that was a bad thing and could be a virus.

So I did a search on my C drive to see where these files were located & 5 came back. 

I kept one in C:/Windows without changing it, but changed the other 4 to csrss.exe1 (so I wouldn't delete the files, but also it should stop the files from running on windows).

Then I restarted the computer and now windows won't open, giving me a c000021a error.  I believe the issue is the csrss.exe1 file that was located in C:/Windows/System32.  I'm hoping all that I need to do is get to a command prompt, change to the System32 director and rename the file back to .exe

The problem is I have no idea how to get to the command prompt before Windows tries to load and gives me the blue screen of death error. 

- Does anyone know how to get to the command prompt right when the PC starts?
- Do you know if my assumption is correct that once I rename the file in the System32 folder that windows should start correctly?

Thanks!
03-05-2008 01:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How to get command prompt before windows loading
um when u are restartin comp hit f8 and then pick safemode with command prompt but getin the command and renamin the system32 folder would kill the os and u proly would not be able to do it anyways but ya

but u can try this restart comp and then hit f8 and then pick "last known good config" k and see if it boots up also do u know if both was in the C:\Windows\System32? cuz if so thats normal if it was in a diff place ya then u got a virus

but also vista will have 2 runnin so if u are on vista then ya

oh and also if u cant get it to go with the lastknown good config try and do a system restore to a date that was good k here is a link to do it in safemode http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
03-05-2008 02:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
UDcc123

O.P. RE: How to get command prompt before windows loading
Thanks.  I don't need to rename the entire System32 folder...just the csrss.exe1 file that's within the folder (to change the extension back to .exe).

I'll try safe mode and then last known good config too.  It's windows 2000.

Thanks.
03-05-2008 02:14 PM
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
anytime but ya if u got 2 there look and them and make sure its just not a copy if so rename one to csrss.old  and the other to normal and see but ya hope u get it all fixed out post back if u do :)
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
03-05-2008 02:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
Use a live linux CD?
03-05-2008 03:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
UDcc123

O.P. RE: RE: How to get command prompt before windows loading
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Use a live linux CD?

I've never heard of that (I know a little bit about computers, but not that much...only enough to get me in trouble like I did in this case).

Do I just buy the CD, put it in the CD-ROM drive, and then it'll give me a command prompt when I start my PC?
03-05-2008 04:47 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by UDcc123
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Use a live linux CD?

I've never heard of that (I know a little bit about computers, but not that much...only enough to get me in trouble like I did in this case).

Do I just buy the CD, put it in the CD-ROM drive, and then it'll give me a command prompt when I start my PC?

Don't use a linux cd if you just know a bit about computers.
No longer here.
03-05-2008 05:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by UDcc123
buy the CD
Haha. That's a laugh. :P

haha report me
03-05-2008 05:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
UDcc123

O.P. RE: RE: How to get command prompt before windows loading
quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
hit f8 and then pick safemode with command prompt

When I did this, it automatically tried loading the drivers from the System32 folder, which crashed the PC before it gave me the command prompt. 

Is there a way to get to the command prompt before loading any other files?  Could I load a CD or floppy with DOS loaded onto it and rename the file from there?  If so, where would I buy one of these discs?

I tried the last known good config, but unfortunately, windows shut down properly last time (even with the renames), so no luck there.
03-06-2008 01:24 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
If you have a Windows XP CD, you can boot from that and when it prompts you, press R to enter recovery mode, this should let you rename the file back (you might need the administrator password to do this).

Alternatively, if you have access to another XP computer, boot into windows on that and insert a blank floppy disk. Then in My Computer, right click the floppy drive, click format and make sure you select "Create an MS-DOS startup disk". You should then be able to boot into DOS mode from that and rename the files.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
03-06-2008 01:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: