What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Remote Account Creation

Remote Account Creation
Author: Message:
turnip281

O.P. Remote Account Creation
I would like to know how to create a user account on a remote computer from a computer I have physical access to on the same network.  I am able to connect to this remote computer using the \\computername command in Run and using Remote Desktop Connection.  I would also like to add that they are on the same domain and I am on Windows XP.  Is there anyway to create an account on that remote computer?  Any help would be appreciated.
03-06-2008 03:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Remote Account Creation
You say that you are on the same domain: do you mean that you are part of a Windows Domain network, where you have to login to a network?

If yes, the only place you can create an account is through Active Directory on one of the network's Domain Controllers.

If no, or you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you can do this through the Control Panel on the remote computer, and find User Accounts. You will need administrative privileges to do that.
If you want to add a user as a remote user, then this is done within the Control Panel as well, using the item called System. Go to the Remote tab, and choose Select Remote Users.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-06-2008 03:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surftake

woo

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by turnip281
I would like to know how to create a user account on a remote computer from a computer I have physical access to on the same network.  I am able to connect to this r

from a command prompt enter:

NET user /?

for the information you need ;)

[Image: 2vjc5fo.png]

[Image: atheismillogicalxs3.png]

Silver Ring Thing - find it. live it.
03-23-2008 07:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Steven

Phillup you little devil you/..

30 / Male / –
Surtfake that wont work you need to be on a domain controller, its the only way.
[Image: sig2ni2.gif] 
03-24-2008 06:20 PM
Adeptus

quote:
I would like to know how to create a user account on a remote computer from a computer I have physical access to on the same network.  I am able to connect to this remote computer using the \\computername command in Run and using Remote Desktop Connection.  I would also like to add that they are on the same domain and I am on Windows XP.  Is there anyway to create an account on that remote computer?
I assume your question is about using Windows management tools and not about gaining access to something you haven't been granted access to...

There are two types of accounts: domain accounts and local accounts.  As others have pointed out, to create a domain account you need to be logged on with an account that, at the very least, has Account Operator privileges on the domain.  Contrary to what's been said so far in this thread, you do not need to be logged on to the domain controller itself -- you can do it from any computer that has Windows server administration tools (Google "adminpak") installed.  The tool you want is called "Active Directory Users and Computers".

To create a local account, you would need to be logged on with an account that has local administrator privileges on the computer you want to create the account on (but not necessarily domain administrator).  To do that, run compmgmt.msc (or "Computer Management" under "Administrative Tools"), right click the computer icon at the top of the tree and connect to the remote computer.  Add a user under "Local Users and Groups".
03-24-2008 08:07 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: