What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List

Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List
Author: Message:
twigboy

im dirty

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List
I've noticed this for quite some time now, and thought the reason was because of their non microsoft domain emails (ie. hotmail, msn, live, etc).

however, after sorting my hotmail contacts using the "duplicate contacts" feature in the hotmail options, i've found that any contact who is set to use a "preferred email" other than their msn contact will have less features enabled for Msg Plus Live.

Features include
- Display On Desktop
- Events Notifications
- Open Chat Log (thankfully, it works when you go to their chat window and use that menu though)
- Contact Information

The only thing that works is "Copy email to clipboard", however that copies their preferred email.

I beleive this was implemented before MS changed some sort of contact list protocol, causing this to break on msg plus live.
You can see my little side ventures at
http://www.thatawesomeshirt.com and http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com =)
03-09-2008 12:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List
This is not a bug in Plus!, but a known limitation.

When you have an alternative email set somewhere in the contact's information panel, and you have set that email as the contact's primairy email, your Plus! right-click options for that contact will be restricted. IIRC this is due to a bug in WLM which doesn't pass the proper email.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-09-2008 02:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
twigboy

im dirty

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List
thats a shame
i hope theres a way around that
You can see my little side ventures at
http://www.thatawesomeshirt.com and http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com =)
03-09-2008 09:25 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by twigboy
thats a shame
Yes, there is already two workarounds for that.

1-Open Contact Cards of those contacts and you'll find a Messenger Plus! option in them: Additional Options. (You have to have MP!L 4.50 installed) You'll have the menu items always enabled in that menu.

2-Set the primary email addresses for those contacts as their instant messaging address (open Edit Contact window to do so)
03-09-2008 10:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by twigboy
thats a shame
Yes, there is already two workarounds for that.

1-Open Contact Cards of those contacts and you'll find a Messenger Plus! option in them: Additional Options. (You have to have MP!L 4.50 installed) You'll have the menu items always enabled in that menu.

2-Set the primary email addresses for those contacts as their instant messaging address (open Edit Contact window to do so)
1) That is not a workaround for that specific right-click menu. It's a different menu alltogether. In that same sense you could have said to open a conversation with the contact, you have all the options there too...

2) That isn't a workaround either. In fact, that is exactly what the issue is about. The menu items get disabled if you have set the primairy email to something else than the IM-email, that's the whole point. That's like saying the workaround for a bug in program X is not using program X....

This post was edited on 03-09-2008 at 01:33 PM by CookieRevised.
03-09-2008 01:32 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I don't know the exact definition of workaround however I use it just like how Patchou uses it, see change log of 4.50, Patchou calls this as a workaround. I just feel as being your whipping boy here... because Patchou said it is the workaround of this limitation two times in this forum, but your anger coincided with my post.

Also "Show on desktop" and "Events notification" menu items cannot be displayed anywhere else like chat windows.
03-09-2008 07:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Most items disabled for "Messenger Plus! Features" menu on Contact List
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I don't know the exact definition of workaround however I use it just like how Patchou uses it, see change log of 4.50, Patchou calls this as a workaround. I just feel as being your whipping boy here... because Patchou said it is the workaround of this limitation two times in this forum, but your anger coincided with my post.
whipping boy?, my anger?

don't start again, ahmetgns....

This post was edited on 03-10-2008 at 12:54 AM by CookieRevised.
03-10-2008 12:43 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: