What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hard Drive Issues

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Hard Drive Issues
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Hard Drive Issues
Okay, here's the problem.

I accidentally plugged my laptop power supply into my external hard drive (320Gb Western Digital - NOT a MyBook) after getting the cables mixed up when I came home from Uni.  At first I didn't realise and the LED failed to come on when I pressed the power button......then after that it did come on, but the drive made no sound (as in a whirring sound of the hard-drive kicking in)

I took it apart and got the drive itself out and tried it in my computer where it wasn't detected either during start-up, or by Windows.  Out of interest I also tried another hard-drive in the external hard drive casing and that did start whirring.

Evidently I've damaged some part of the hard-drive, but what I'd like to know is if it's at all possible that the data is still in tact and that there'd be some way of getting it off.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes, 27 seconds ago
03-15-2008 05:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Hard Drive Issues
The data is probably still all intact, but the mechanism for the arms to move has blown. Might only be something small too =/
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-15-2008 05:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
The data itself will still be intact, but the mechanisms inside your drive for reading that data have all but died.

Most likely, the only way now to recover the data is if the disk platters are extracted and placed in an identical drive housing, and risk losing everything. one fingerprint or speck of dust could render the second drive useless as well, not to mention void both warranties. Or, you could get someone to do the data recovery for you, like Seagate
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-15-2008 05:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
If you go to UNI i would imagine that they have people that can do it and have the stuff. Not saying they will. :)
No longer here.
03-15-2008 06:00 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
If you go to UNI i would imagine that they have people that can do it and have the stuff. Not saying they will. :)
That's VERY unlikely.
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-15-2008 06:12 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
Data recovery will probably cost alot more then the data is worth to you...

This post was edited on 03-16-2008 at 08:37 AM by foaly.
03-15-2008 06:40 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
PC world tried to charge me £100 for data recovery... Bunch of n00bs IMO ^o)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-15-2008 06:52 PM
Adeptus

Actually, the "mechanisms" are more than likely fine.  The drive electronics (circuit board on the back) are what's been damaged.

To revive the drive, you will need to find an identical drive (same exact brand / model / size) and borrow the board from it.  It should be easy to swap if done carefully, usually just a few screws.  Once you get your old drive going, you can get off the data or just keep using it -- it will be the same as the drive that donated the board, anyway.

When somebody doesn't fry them with wrong voltage, most drive failures are mechanical -- so with some luck you could source the board from another non-working drive. 
03-15-2008 11:16 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Actually, the "mechanisms" are more than likely fine.  The drive electronics (circuit board on the back) are what's been damaged.

To revive the drive, you will need to find an identical drive (same exact brand / model / size) and borrow the board from it.  It should be easy to swap if done carefully, usually just a few screws.  Once you get your old drive going, you can get off the data or just keep using it -- it will be the same as the drive that donated the board, anyway.

When somebody doesn't fry them with wrong voltage, most drive failures are mechanical -- so with some luck you could source the board from another non-working drive.
i'd second that is the drive removeable from the enclosure?

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-15-2008 11:49 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Hard Drive Issues
i can get the hard-drive out of the external enclosure, as far as i can remember there were a few screws (not traditonal heads though, looked more like an allen key was needed) on the circuit board on the back.

would it literally have to be an identical drive for me to be able to do that myself?

i have an old western digital 40gb hard-drive that i'd happily dissemble in order to get this one working

as for people saying before that profesional data recovery would be worth more than the data, that's not true.....the data is mostly priceless and irrecoverable
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes, 27 seconds ago
03-16-2008 12:05 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: