What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » comctl32.ocx error..

comctl32.ocx error..
Author: Message:
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. comctl32.ocx error..
well i tried opening some program "Script packager" to see how it's like and i end up with this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=896130]

.png File Attachment: comctl32 error.PNG (12.88 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1109 time(s).
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
03-20-2008 01:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surftake

woo

32 / Male / Flag
RE: comctl32.ocx error..
Your missing a file.  Find the control and place it IN THE DIRECTORY from which you are attempting to run an application.  There is NO NEED to place it in your windows directory (or subdirectory).  I wish more people would keep these types of files in the respective directory.  Lazy bastards.

[Image: atheismillogicalxs3.png]

Silver Ring Thing - find it. live it.
03-23-2008 07:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/COMCTL32.OCX
run>Regsvr32 /s AnyBouton.ocx

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-23-2008 07:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by surftake
There is NO NEED to place it in your windows directory (or subdirectory).  I wish more people would keep these types of files in the respective directory.
It is not a necessity indeed.
However, it's quite likely that other programs will need this component too over time so IMO it's better to place it in a system directory (eg. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\system32) and register it to allow other programs to use it too.
This will also keep you Program Files folder clean after the application is uninstalled, as the uninstaller probably won't remove the control and thus leave the program folder in Program Files.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
03-23-2008 07:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: comctl32.ocx error..
quote:
Originally posted by surftake
Your missing a file.  Find the control and place it IN THE DIRECTORY from which you are attempting to run an application.  There is NO NEED to place it in your windows directory (or subdirectory).  I wish more people would keep these types of files in the respective directory.  Lazy bastards.
i know that will (most likely) work, but what about for ALL of my programs?

i wouldn't like to keep copying the same file and wasting space just to get one working

anyway, i downloaded and registered it (file's in system32 right now) but it still shows the same error (tried restarting)
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
03-25-2008 01:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Probably because it is the very same version you already had.

Thus, you should've checked the version number from the one you already have and checked the version from the one you downloaded first... (you should get a totally different error if you don't have the file; this error tells you that you _do_ have the file, but it is a different version than the one which ScriptPackager is compiled with).

PS: comctl32.ocx should be placed in your SYSTEM32 directory, not in the local application's directory (unless you have a very good reason to do so and you know what you're doing)! It is a common ActiveX control, used by many programs, it should go in your SYSTEM32 directory if you don't want to run into more problems.

EDIT:

Instead of downloading random files from the net of which you don't know what version they are, for what OS they are meant or if they are tampered with, you better download them from the official source:

Install the VB6 SP6 Run-Time Redistribution Pack:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-9117-F673077FFB3C

And update the Common Controls:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-BB14-64662F5F62FE

PS1: you don't need to register anything, the installers will do it for you. Just download and run the installers.

PS2: You might want to try a couple of times, the Download Center is currently experiencing some difficulties. If you get an "page not found, unable to service your request." error, try again later...

-------------------

There is also a "Script Packager" script:
[RELEASE] PACKAGER : Packs made easy for scripts developers
This script uses the 7-zip command line application as zipper.

Dempsey's "Script Packager" application:
http://mpscripts.net/tools.php
This VB6 application uses the Info-Zip's DLL and the Common Controls ActiveX OCXs.

;)

This post was edited on 03-25-2008 at 02:51 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-25-2008 01:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: