What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Even if the first post is kept updated, the posts right below it could be a year old and reporting problems that no longer exist, etc. :\

happens sooo much in other forums, it's really off-putting and confusing with custom app threads on neowin or msdn for example.

Lock/delete on old big threads, when updated versions come would solve that issue though :)

Let's get the script requests subforum a go-go!
03-31-2008 09:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
And what is considered "big"?

If the topposter replies to an issue with "fixed" or "can't do" or whatever, I don't see what confusing it might be. Of course, if there is no reply and just an update in the first post, then it might.... But then again, even in the first post you could keep a history, a faq or whatever (examples exist here).

Bottom line: if the script creator handles it correctly, there shouldn't be any confusion. If the script creator doesn't handle it properly, then a subforum or even seperate threads aren't going to help fixing that either....

Anyways, Neowin is a massive forum where threads get big in no-time. Here the script threads are relative small/short. And it's only a very small handlfull of scripts that get very big threads. And most of that is due to people not reading.

And the not-reading can't be helped by subforums or multiple threads either I think. So you will still have the same amount of posts in the end, but scattered over several threads. Which on its turn leads to (more) crossposting, missing information, etc....

How many times does it occur that you need to refer people to an existing thread, or that you link to an already existing thread/post about the very same subject or that you repeat something which has been said in a very same thread? I know I encounter it a lot...

When you're going to explicitly allow and encourage different threads I think the information-scattering (and thus needed repeating of information) is only going to get worse.

As for the comparisson with skin forums. That's not very accurate I think. Because of the nature of skins, there isn't much of a discussion when someone requests something or when someone makes a release thread. I mean, with a script, everybody can and will comment on a piece of code. For skins, this is very unlikely. And for scripts you can discuss a lot of stuff about features, report bugs, request additions, etc. For skins this is again not so much.

PS: I'm not against a "requests" subforum for scripts. But only if it is used to only request a certain script and when that script is released keep the additional feature requests and everything else in that release thread. I'm a bit against having multiple (release/bug report/whatever) threads about the same script.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2008 10:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And what is considered "big"?

10 pages on default view I would say, too much for a newcomer to check every page for fixes and comments on legacy versions.

But I do agree the first post should always be kept up to date with known issues and changelog of at least the last version
03-31-2008 10:50 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You know what would be uber-cool... A method to collapse posts, so that the answered posts, or old not-relevant-anymore posts can be hidden (by default). Those who wish can read everything, and the newcomer will only see the important posts. :P
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2008 04:38 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
A method to collapse posts, so that the answered posts, or old not-relevant-anymore posts can be hidden (by default).
And who's gonna moderate that? I feel sorry for that person already :p.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-31-2008 10:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
Or maybe sticky all the [Release] threads?
04-01-2008 12:37 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Which means that the stickies themselves take up more room than the threads shown per page...
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6557 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes, 7 seconds ago.

04-01-2008 12:42 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Stickies are for important threads *-)...Stickying all the releases would just make the rest of the threads much harder to find as you'd have to scroll through another few pages just to get to them.
04-01-2008 02:19 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
What I would like to see is a scripting resources board, where tutorials / useful information / help with code snippets can go, and have a second board primarily for scripts themselves

My 2 cents

Oh, while I'm at it, how about a completely separate category on the forum index, for extensions for Plus where the script and skin boards can be placed

This post was edited on 04-01-2008 at 03:16 AM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-01-2008 03:13 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
What I would like to see is a scripting resources board, where tutorials / useful information / help with code snippets can go, and have a second board primarily for scripts themselves
Yeh, that may be useful, because at the moment we only have the Tips thread stickied, while there are other interesting threads for scripters who aren't stickied. I agree that a sub-forum would make it easier to find and post information. :)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
04-01-2008 09:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: