What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
Well tutorials are finding a new home on the database soon enough with full colour syntax formatting and what not :)
04-01-2008 09:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
About the above: then I hope the tutorials section or whatever is not going to be a code/snippet repository....

Tutorials and/or tips should be just that; tips, tuts, faqs.... Things like a library for accessing the registry (like already shown in that tips thread) should be placed elsewhere, imho... (and the reason is also given in that same tips thread: code can be improved, you can do stuff in different ways, etc...)...

A tip is something like use X instead of Y because of Z. Or on page X you will find more info about Z. A tip is not a full blown library, imho. A tip is: "on page Y you'll find code/snippets/libraries for much used functions in case you don't have the time or knowledge to write them yourself"....

Of course, a code/snippet repository would be nice too :p

This post was edited on 04-01-2008 at 01:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-01-2008 01:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
What I would like to see is a scripting resources board, where tutorials / useful information / help with code snippets can go, and have a second board primarily for scripts themselves

My 2 cents

Oh, while I'm at it, how about a completely separate category on the forum index, for extensions for Plus where the script and skin boards can be placed
http://mpscripts.net/ ?
4 8 15 16 23 42
04-01-2008 03:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
Still, this doesnt really solve the original suggestion about making a official support thread for each complete script...

cookie mentioned about that no script is fully complete so you cant have a support/update/etc section; Well Plus! and Windows arent complete either and they both have a community as you can see...
04-02-2008 01:54 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Tutorials and/or tips should be just that; tips, tuts, faqs.... Things like a library for accessing the registry (like already shown in that tips thread) should be placed elsewhere, imho.
Agreed, it's online now btw: http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/resources/
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-02-2008 06:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
(Sorry for the bump)

Here, IMO, is again a reason why "completed" scripts (such as Hopper which can be updated but already has at least a 1.0 release) should have a completed subsection.

I requested a script. And I was told to search (which I should have done in the first place, noted). My search only brought me 2 threads related and both are outdated/simply do not work.

Obviously the member that told me to search (I wonder who it could be...) does not tell me anything else because he/she simply posted "search" (Which IMO should also been looked down upon as spam as he/she him/herself did not search, seeing there are no valid threads about my request). Now, with the completed subsection of released scripts, I could have simply searched manually thru a much smaller set of scripts and seen there is no working script for my request.

IDK....I see it logical and alot more organized.

a alternative solution (which I dont like much but oh well) is to enable comments in the script DB. This could sorta make it the official thread but bla..

This post was edited on 07-15-2009 at 02:13 AM by riahc4.
07-15-2009 02:12 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

Now, with the completed subsection of released scripts, I could have simply searched manually thru a much smaller set of scripts and seen there is no working script for my request.

So you want to search manually through the 550 scripts in the database? 

Alternatively, for a "Completed" scripts sub-section.....that is the database..why should it need comments?  the only person who needs to comment on it is the author, who can do that via menthix.

if you need any more information on it, you search the forum for the name of that script and you'll find its relevant thread(s)
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5220 days, 1 hour, 48 minutes, 47 seconds ago
07-15-2009 07:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
riahc4, it is not because a thread is (in your opinion) outdated or is about an old script that it doesn't contain valid information, or links.

And a new subsection for completed scripts is of no use because as I said before, a script is almost never 'finished' and you will see that for a lot of scripts, in such a new subsection, threads will be created which will be exactly the same as the threads you have now in the existing subsections.

Including the same questions getting asked more than once, scripts _still_ being updated and certain people would _still_ not search before asking questions.

What needs to change is not the forum, but the attitude of the people using those forums. eg: learning to search (and learning to do a _proper_ search for that matter), not being lazy, reading a thread, and using some common sense before posting... You can add all the subsections you want, that is _not_ going to help if people don't use them properly.
07-15-2009 08:40 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

if you need any more information on it, you search the forum for the name of that script and you'll find its relevant thread(s)

So you know the name of all ~550 scripts?

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
riahc4, it is not because a thread is (in your opinion) outdated or is about an old script that it doesn't contain valid information, or links.

And a new subsection for completed scripts is of no use because as I said before, a script is almost never 'finished' and you will see that for a lot of scripts, in such a new subsection, threads will be created which will be exactly the same as the threads you have now in the existing subsections.

Including the same questions getting asked more than once, scripts _still_ being updated and certain people would _still_ not search before asking questions.

What needs to change is not the forum, but the attitude of the people using those forums. eg: learning to search (and learning to do a _proper_ search for that matter), not being lazy, reading a thread, and using some common sense before posting... You can add all the subsections you want, that is _not_ going to help if people don't use them properly.

Well if you rather say a subsection for released scripts rather than completed scripts then fine by me...

A subsection for release scripts would be nice as it is alot more organized this way.
07-15-2009 11:28 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New subsection in Scripting: Completed Scripts
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

So you know the name of all ~550 scripts?
A) If you are a regular here (which you're suppose to be I think), you would roughly know in what direction you need to search, or what kind of scripts have been made. You can use this knowledge to your benefit when searching.

B) In most cases the script is named in such a way that it describes what it does. Thus making it relative easy to search for more info or to find a specific script.

C) What djdannyp actually meant was once you found the script and its name in the official DB, you can search for its name in the forums to get more information about it.

And also, you can use contents, name, description, author, etc as keywords...
There are more than plenty enough variables and methods to search for.

Of course, you must be able to do a proper decent and logic search.
And not doing it the lazy way by creating a new thread each time asking for something (which you already asked before in most cases btw). Or asking info about some subject or threads in which you actually already posted a message before...

quote:
Well if you rather say a subsection for released scripts rather than completed scripts then fine by me...
A subsection for release scripts would be nice as it is alot more organized this way.
No, in practice, it will not be more organized, not on a big forum like this. And how it is called is completely, but also realy completely, beside the point! The point is that sooner or later such a subforum (whatever it is called) will be nothing more than a 'copy' of the existing scripting forum, including double threads about the same script, crosspostings, repetative questions, etc etc.

On a (smaller) forum with very strict rules and with something not like scripts (which, by nature, are updated all the time and on which people constant need to ask questions about, etc) it might work, but not here, not with something so opensource/public as scripting code.

No forum (that I know of at least) which is about opensource scripting has a category 'finished'/'released'/'whatever you wanna call it', because that doesn't work in practice. At the most they have some subforums for different categories of scripts though, exactly like the official DB already has.

Your searching problems will _not_ be solved by creating a new subforum. On the contrary, you will probably be less successfull in finding the proper stuff!! Because you will probably search only that subforum, instead of all the other subforums and thus you _will_ miss vital and important threads which were made in other subforums (but with the same or related subjects).

Instead, learn to perfom a decent search with the proper keywords, learn to do multiple searches, etc... and don't be lazy and/or give up easly. The more you search the better you'll be and the quicker you'll find what you're looking for.

Searching in a subforum is only productive if you actually know for sure that some info is posted in that, and only in that, subforum. Otherwise you should never ever limit your searches to subforums (on this forum at least).

This post was edited on 07-16-2009 at 12:01 AM by CookieRevised.
07-15-2009 03:40 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: