What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.

Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
Author: Message:
Cooperhawk

O.P. Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
I haven't been able to find this anywhere else, but if you have multiple users logged on the same computer, when one of them tries to open their sharing folders, often times messenger will get confused about who's sharing folders it should be opening, and usually ends up showing someone else's sharing folders, windows live messenger 2008, and plus version 5.50.312 released December 15, 2007. i would think this would be a simple matter to fix although i'm not a messenger expert, but it seems to me that it would just be a matter of matching which folder within the local settings should be displayed, hope it can be resolved quickly.
04-05-2008 10:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
If I'm not mistaken, it's a limitation of the polygamy feature in anything whether it me Messenger Plus!, Mess Patch, A-Patch, etc.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
04-05-2008 10:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I think WLM checks to see who last logged in and where and makes an assumption about who it is fetching the information for. As polygamy isn't offically supported by Microsoft, I doubt there is an easy fix. (Although I do know you can login in multiple locations in the BETA of WLM 9.0, so there may be some sort of support for it; then or in the future)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-06-2008 01:32 AM
Cooperhawk

O.P. RE: Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
well, I'm not familiar with all of the Microsoft developer coding selection, but i do know that the sharing folders is saved in the local settings, Microsoft, messenger, sharing folders, and then whatever account your from, and from there it's into who you're sharing it with, it doesn't take a genius to figure that part out, just someone who cares. and there is a similar directory on the computer of whom you are sharing with, when you click that sharing folder button, it goes to the folder that matches your account name.

Now from my narrow view of coding with visual basic and meta trader, and a couple other random languages, if you have made a program that knows the id of which window is signed into, (in the plus options you can select under the multiple accounts setting to display the address of the current user in the form of a bool tip over the notification icon), and theoretically if you know enough about messenger to create such an extensive add-on, which adds icons that perform their own functions, and change the very way messenger looks:

perhaps it could be a simple matter of replacing the button in main window with one that looked exactly like it, and opened the same form, but displayed the correct sharing folders per user who is opening them?

like i said, I'm not an expert with messenger but if i knew how it was made, this is how I'd try to gander at solving the problem.
04-06-2008 03:52 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Cooperhawk
Now from my narrow view of coding with visual basic and meta trader, and a couple other random languages, if you have made a program that knows the id of which window is signed into, (in the plus options you can select under the multiple accounts setting to display the address of the current user in the form of a bool tip over the notification icon), and theoretically if you know enough about messenger to create such an extensive add-on, which adds icons that perform their own functions, and change the very way messenger looks

Just because you can make an add-on such as Messenger Plus! doesn't mean that we can change functions of how messenger works either. After all this is an Add-on, not a Windows Live Messenger fixer for features that Microsoft do not officially support such as polygamy (multiple messengers). And you will find that regardless of which polygamy method used, Messenger Plus!'s memory method or Mess Patch/A-Patch's hard code change method, the same issue will still arise regardless.

Like I said, it's probably known limitation which means that nothing more can be done to it until Microsoft gets off their backside and design their own method of polygamy, which will then mean that Microsoft will support it as currently they do not.

This post was edited on 04-06-2008 at 04:04 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
04-06-2008 04:03 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
It was posted a long time ago. I hope you can design a solution after reading my reply.
Polygamy & Sharing Folders Problem
04-06-2008 09:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Cooperhawk

O.P. RE: RE: Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
i know i'm a little bit over persistent with this, but i think you were on to something. if we were to apply this, perhaps this method could be a potential fix.

theoretically, you have your custom button, but before you have it open the sharing folder form, you had it read into an archive of dat files stored in a hidden folder in the same general area as the dat, and copy the one labeled with the correct email address, and rename it activesharingfolder.dat, replacing the incorrect dat file with the correct one before opening the sharing folders.

manually switching between dat files can cause a few glitches, but with a bit of work, you can get it to work.
However: the procedure is a bit tedious and it has varying levels of successes.

step one, sign in on one and only one messenger account.
step two, copy the activesharingfolder.dat file somewhere and identify which user it is.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SAVE AS OR SAVE, I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS BUT I WOULD GUESS IT'S THE MODIFIED PROPERTY OF THE FILE, WILL RUIN YOUR RESULTS, COPY AND RENAME ONLY

step three, delete the activesharingfolder.dat file

step four, sign on on second messenger id and repeat step two, continue this process for however many accounts you sign in on

step five, BEFORE YOU ACCESS YOUR SHARING FOLDER [b] copy[/b
] the correct dat file depending on who you are opening for and rename it, activesharingfolder.dat.

step six, you may now access that particular sharing folder, but if you wish to view another set of sharing folders repeat in order steps 3 and 5 (not 4), and then continue with your business.

good news with this: the folders seem to do a good job of synchronizing the right files on their own, so you can still synchronize both folders with other people at the same time, i'm not sure what would happen if you tried to synchronize them both together. but for the most part, they seem to be good about arranging things properly.

bad news: you can only access one at a time, if you try to access two, you may encounter moments of confusion on which sharing folder you are accessing, just as if you had done nothing at all.

I'm not sure about how you would go about adding this feature to plus, but if you wish, i could attach a zip with a vb executable that could perform the same function, can't say how long it would take to build, or when i could build it.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
It was posted a long time ago. I hope you can design a solution after reading my reply.
04-06-2008 06:22 PM
Cooperhawk

O.P. RE: RE: RE: Sharing folder and multiple user glitch.
quote:
Originally posted by Cooperhawk
i know i'm a little bit over persistent with this, but i think you were on to something. if we were to apply this, perhaps this method could be a potential fix.

theoretically, you have your custom button, but before you have it open the sharing folder form, you had it read into an archive of dat files stored in a hidden folder in the same general area as the dat, and copy the one labeled with the correct email address, and rename it activesharingfolder.dat, replacing the incorrect dat file with the correct one before opening the sharing folders.

manually switching between dat files can cause a few glitches, but with a bit of work, you can get it to work.
However: the procedure is a bit tedious and it has varying levels of successes.

step one, sign in on one and only one messenger account.
step two, copy the activesharingfolder.dat file somewhere and identify which user it is.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SAVE AS OR SAVE, I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS BUT I WOULD GUESS IT'S THE MODIFIED PROPERTY OF THE FILE, WILL RUIN YOUR RESULTS, COPY AND RENAME ONLY

step three, delete the activesharingfolder.dat file

step four, sign on on second messenger id and repeat step two, continue this process for however many accounts you sign in on

step five, BEFORE YOU ACCESS YOUR SHARING FOLDER [b] copy[/b
] the correct dat file depending on who you are opening for and rename it, activesharingfolder.dat.

step six, you may now access that particular sharing folder, but if you wish to view another set of sharing folders repeat in order steps 3 and 5 (not 4), and then continue with your business.

good news with this: the folders seem to do a good job of synchronizing the right files on their own, so you can still synchronize both folders with other people at the same time, i'm not sure what would happen if you tried to synchronize them both together. but for the most part, they seem to be good about arranging things properly.

bad news: you can only access one at a time, if you try to access two, you may encounter moments of confusion on which sharing folder you are accessing, just as if you had done nothing at all.

I'm not sure about how you would go about adding this feature to plus, but if you wish, i could attach a zip with a vb executable that could perform the same function, can't say how long it would take to build, or when i could build it.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

Does this help any developer to fix the problem? also random side note, it'd be nice if msgplus would recognize m4a files as audio files :).
07-30-2008 09:31 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: