What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Daylight Savings Time

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Daylight Savings Time
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Daylight Savings Time
I didn't know my timezone offset when I was 8 8-)
04-11-2008 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
If you don't know your GMT offset, you suck. Seriously. Even an 8 year old knows his GMT offset :(
Hopefully if I switch on the DST thing, it won't change my time (simply because I'm not in a timezone that has DST :P)
I can assure you that knowing ones correct GMT offset is not that strait forward. Even people who work on the internet and deal with different timezones will get it wrong sometimes.

Not knowing your correct timezone is not a crime or even not something to be ashamed of (heck even Patchou gets it wrong sometimes, see some posts on this forum where he anounces something to be released at a given time :p).

No surprise really. If you follow the DST changes around the world you'll see that it isn't strait forward at all. For example, I use a very good time/clock program and almost each month this program gets an update because the DST rules have been changed somewhere in the world.

Your GMT time offset will change when you have DST in your region. And even if you don't use DST, it might be that at some point DST will be used in your region. True, in western countries and such the rules don't change much, but that doesn't mean it is straightforward for everyone in the world.

So the timezone also depends in what country you live, and not just what GMT offset you have. For example, GMT+2 for one person might mean a different timezone (or at least different DST rules) than someone else which also has GMT+2 as his offset.

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Now that i have enabled DST Correction the time is 2 hours off -_-
That means that you have set your GMT offset wrongly.

You could either use the correct 'base' GMT offset for your region and enable DST, or simply leave the DST option alone and set the GMT offset one hour in front. Doesn't matter what you do on this forum since you need to set both manually anyways, as long as you don't do both.

EDIT: oh, and make sure your computer time and DST is set properly to begin with :p

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-11-2008 02:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I didn't mean to diss anyone btw :P
As for Patch, you know I love him as much as the next Plus! oldie but you must remember this is the guy who iirc once said that the world, to him had only 4 countries; Canada, America, Europe and Rest of the world. Or at least something along those lines. I know he was kidding but my god that was funny :D
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-11-2008 03:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend