What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Appearing Offline?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Appearing Offline?
Author: Message:
DejaVoo

– / Female / Flag
RE: Appearing Offline?
In my experience when you block someone you don’t receive any offline messages from them and even though you might not want to speak to them at that point, you might also not want to miss anything from them...

The reason this is requested so often is because sometimes people want the full functionality of using messenger while appearing online with some contacts (web, games etc), they may not want to be interrupted by others even though they still want to be able to receive messages from them...   

Yes you can block contacts temporarily but then you won’t receive any offline messages or you can appear offline and receive messages but then you can’t use all of messenger’s functions with the people you are speaking to because you are appearing offline...

Stuffplug to my understanding has a feature that allows you to talk to blocked contacts, but they can’t talk to you (I think). If you ask me it should work the other way around because if I wanted to talk to someone I would, no need to have them blocked, on the other hand if I could block contacts temporarily and still receive their offline messages that would be a lot more useful...

Appearing offline to some contacts and online to others would be great but I’m not sure if it’s possible – then again I’m not a programmer so I’ll leave it up to those who are to make that call...
04-15-2008 11:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
you will not be able to send them messages (but they will be able to send you messages).
I thought the point of blocking people was so they couldn't talk to you, not the other way around ^o)
Well, lets see what Messenger says in its Options window:
quote:
People on your allow list can see your online status and send you messages.  People on your block list can't see your status or send you messages.
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
You cannot play games...
This is correct but
quote:
Originally posted by papalazarou
never mind i can just appear offline to everybody and still chat to my contact, just don't think you can use webcam when you are appearing offline.
you can still invite people for webcam (yours or the other side's) from the Conversation window's menu>Actions>Video. Appearing Offline only hides the webcam icons below the display pictures in conversation windows.
quote:
Originally posted by DejaVoo
Stuffplug to my understanding has a feature that allows you to talk to blocked contacts, but they can’t talk to you (I think). If you ask me it should work the other way around because if I wanted to talk to someone I would, no need to have them blocked, on the other hand if I could block contacts temporarily and still receive their offline messages that would be a lot more useful...
(Offline) Messages coming from a blocked contact are stopped probably at servers and aren't delivered to recipients so StuffPlug cannot add this functionality.

Also I think blocking contacts must prevent receiving messages from them as well as to be seen when Online by them. Otherwise how would we be able to prevent receiving messages from whom we don't want.

This post was edited on 04-19-2008 at 03:01 PM by ahmetgns.
04-19-2008 02:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DejaVoo
IIRC they can talk back as long as you have the window open...
I'll test it now, just a sec

edit: nvm, I was wrong :(

This post was edited on 04-19-2008 at 04:00 PM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
04-19-2008 03:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: