What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order?

How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order?
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order?
Hi, when I had IE6 the method outlined below worked perfectly to backup the Favorites sort order (to make it clear, I'm not referring to backing up the Favorites which can be done from within IE using File/Import-Export, I'm referring to being able to back them up so I can later restore them in the EXACT same custom sort order as originally, so I don't have to manually drag hundreds of bookmarks to the order in which they were originally).

Sort order is not preserved when you transfer favorites to another PC
If you use the Import/Export Wizard or manually copy the URL favorites to another system, the sort order will not be copied to the target system. This is because Windows stores the sort order in the registry. Neither the Import/Export Wizard or manual copy operation will reference the sort order registry key.
In order to have the sort order applied to the other PC, export the following registry from the source PC:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
Save the above key as a REG file and apply this in the other computer. The sort order is now copied/overwritten.

The issue is that in IE7 I checked that resgistry key but it seems to not have the favorites in the original sort order but ordered alphabetically. So how can I do it in IE7? Thanks
05-08-2008 08:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order?
I just checked it and MSIE7 still uses that key and it still works. Just make sure you import the registry settings again when all instances of MSIE7 are closed.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-08-2008 09:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order?
all the ie versons have the file and then export/import to back up the favs and stuff so yea
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
05-08-2008 10:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: