What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Messenger Privacy

Messenger Privacy
Author: Message:
stevep1956

O.P. Messenger Privacy
Hi all

Can anyone please tell me how to delete names from the allow or block list under the privacy tab in Microsoft Messenger preferences.

I have tried most things but can not delete names.

Stevep1956
05-14-2008 12:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Privacy
When a contact has deleted you from their contact list, when you right click a persons name on the privacy tab, if the delete option is enabled, this is a sign you have been deleted, and thus, you can successfully delete them from your list.

However this can sometimes be wrong. Once I deleted everyone who I had blocked/deleted and they had deleted me (or so I thought). But then one day someone opened a conversation with me asking who I was! Only with the help of StuffPlug's talking to blocked contacts was I able to communicate with the person "not on my contact list click here to add them". Very strange, only happened once though.

This post was edited on 05-14-2008 at 02:04 PM by Aardvark.
05-14-2008 02:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by stevep1956
Hi all

Can anyone please tell me how to delete names from the allow or block list under the privacy tab in Microsoft Messenger preferences.

That list is called the Reverse List, it shows all the contacts who have added you to one of their lists (contact list, allow list or block list).

Right-click on a name or email address in that list and choose the "delete" menu item.

If the "delete" menu item is grayed out it means that the contact still have you on his contact list. In that case you can not remove the contact (yet).

So, in order to completely remove a contact (thus also from the Reverse List), both of you need to remove eachother first from the Contact List.

Only then can you both also remove eachother from the Reverse List.

--------

The bottom line is that if you want to remove a Messenger account (aka Windows Live Id), you should always first remove everybody from your contact list. If you do not do that, all your contacts will remain with your (old) Windows Live Id in their lists and they will not be able to remove it.

However, this is forgotten extremely many times by people (simply because they do not know about this though).

This post was edited on 05-14-2008 at 02:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-14-2008 02:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Privacy
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by stevep1956
Hi all

That list is called the Reverse List, it shows all the contacts who have added you to one of their lists (contact list, allow list or block list).
I think you are mistaken here but I believe you know the meaning of these lists very well, this is only a bad time for you.
quote:
So, in order to completely remove a contact (thus also from the Reverse List), both of you need to remove eachother first from the Contact List.
I think we cannot do anything to our Reverse lists. We have control on only our contact&allow&block lists.

quote:
--------

The bottom line is that if you want to remove a Messenger account (aka Windows Live Id), you should always first remove everybody from your contact list. If you do not do that, all your contacts will remain with your (old) Windows Live Id in their lists and they will not be able to remove it.

However, this is forgotten extremely many times by people (simply because they do not know about this though).
I always recommend people to do so, also sometimes when they want to close their Windows Live accounts, I learn their passwords and I close their accounts for them. However once upon a time, I deleted all the contacts of one friend from the Contacts interface of WL Hotmail (for easeness of selecting all the contacts with one click) and closed his account. Then I noticed that, his email address still appears in my Reverse list. Then I activated his account, added all the contacts back, then deleted them from Messenger one by one (not too much, only 10 contacts :P) and that updated my Reverse list too. I want to ask about this. If we delete contacts from WL Hotmail's interface, won't it update those deleted contacts' Reverse lists?

This post was edited on 05-24-2008 at 10:02 PM by ahmetgns.
05-24-2008 10:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Messenger Privacy
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I think you are mistaken here but I believe you know the meaning of these lists very well, this is only a bad time for you.
wtf, excuse me?
quote:
I think we cannot do anything to our Reverse lists. We have control on only our contact&allow&block lists.
You're the one that is mistaken here. To completely remove contacts you have to do exactly as I have described.

quote:
If we delete contacts from WL Hotmail's interface, won't it update those deleted contacts' Reverse lists?
Not necessarily. The contactlist in hotmail/Windows Live Mail is different and can be independant from the Messenger contactlist, they are not the same.

This post was edited on 05-25-2008 at 04:25 AM by CookieRevised.
05-25-2008 04:19 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
If we delete contacts from WL Hotmail's interface, won't it update those deleted contacts' Reverse lists?
Not necessarily. The contactlist in hotmail/Windows Live Mail is different and can be independant from the Messenger contactlist, they are not the same.
But I am talking about the contact list of the same Windows Live account which shares a single Windows Live contacts list.
05-25-2008 07:52 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
No, it doesn't share the exact same list; they can be different.
05-26-2008 09:28 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
No, it doesn't share the exact same list; they can be different.
But when we want to delete a non-instant messaging contact from Messenger, it warns us and says "This contact is being shared by Messenger and Windows Live Hotmail. If you remove this contact from Messenger, it will be removed from Windows Live Hotmail too." Also when we add a contact to Hotmail's address book by ticking the "Use with Windows Live Messenger" option, it appears as a instant messaging contact in Messenger.

This post was edited on 05-26-2008 at 01:29 PM by ahmetgns.
05-26-2008 01:04 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: