What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How to get old log archives into the new version

How to get old log archives into the new version
Author: Message:
Maverick2805

O.P. How to get old log archives into the new version
Hey there

I found this awesome addon only today and have just installed it, however I didn't find anything on the website about old archives. Is there a possibility to get old logs into the new version?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers Mav
I just thought of another question, is there also a possibility to merge logs from different computers together?

Cheers

Mav
05-15-2008 07:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to get old log archives into the new version
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick2805
Hey there

I found this awesome addon only today and have just installed it, however I didn't find anything on the website about old archives. Is there a possibility to get old logs into the new version?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers Mav
When you say "old logs", what exact logs do you mean? The old logs from Messenger Plus! 3, or the logs from Windows Live Messenger itself?

Actually, it doesn't matter. Whatever logs you mean, you could just place them into the new log directory of Messenger Plus! Live since Messenger Plus! Live's Logviewer is able to open the old logs from Messenger Plus! 3 and the logs from Windows Live Messenger...

As for merging logs together: yes you can merge them together. But you must do it yourself, manually, taking in account the layout of the logs (and possible tags being used). Use notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor of your choice...

But, if I recall correctly there once was a tool/script/plugin which could merge logs, but as far as I know it never worked without problems/bugs.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-15-2008 10:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Maverick2805

O.P. RE: How to get old log archives into the new version
Thanks for the reply. I meant from normal Windows Live Messenger into  Messenger Plus! Live, but with the same layout :) I mean it possible to do, but it's not easy and quite a lot of work :) so i thought that I'd ask first if there is a script or program before trying to figure something out myself in excel probably (only thing I'm skilled enough in ;) )

Cheers
05-15-2008 11:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to get old log archives into the new version
ah, well, by altering the stylesheet used for the Messenger logs (MessageLog.xsl) you can make all the Messenger logs look like Messenger Plus! Live logs.

There once was a MessageLog.xsl which was altered to make Messenger logs look like Messenger Plus! 3 text logs though (see here). But nothing for Messenger Plus! Live....

As for combining Messenger logs, see here

PS: Excel isn't the correct tool to do any of this; you wont get far with it. If you don't have an XML editor, then use Notepad or Wordpad (or search on the net for a free XML editor).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-16-2008 12:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Maverick2805

O.P. RE: How to get old log archives into the new version
Thanks for the links, I'll have a look through them this evening. And see if I can change them, if not, I'll just leave the logs in the old form :) Cheers
05-16-2008 07:28 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: