What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Help. Question on ports and API

Help. Question on ports and API
Author: Message:
Hen

O.P. Huh?  Help. Question on ports and API
Hi guys,
While connected to Messenger, can I open another port and send messages (not by messenger, but directly through the port, by another program) to my buddies?
I know during the connection process, there is an authontication server, so I guess this can be a probelm, sending to the server messages from a different port, but I dont know for sure, maybe there is a solution.
Thanks.

This post was edited on 05-26-2008 at 06:48 PM by Hen.
05-17-2008 10:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Paril

Admin of Paril's Projects

30 / Male / Flag
RE: ports question
Well it's possible to implement the API itself into other apps (many third-party messenger programs are good examples). I'm sure it's possible, but hooking into a running instance of WLM might not be the best way to approach it.

I don't think you would need to use another port for it either, if you used the same client port there shouldn't be much of a problem (Polygamy doesn't seem to reject on port, so it must stay the same and not be randomly generated, ala many game clients). If you were able to hook into WLM, grab connection info and send it back you might be able to accomplish it. Someone with more experience with the Messenger API could explain better than I.

-Paril

This post was edited on 05-19-2008 at 02:08 AM by Paril.
05-19-2008 02:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
RE: question on ports
care to explain what it is you are trying do?

messemger uses a port to connect to the msn server this server is also connected to your friends msn, then messages go through the server, if i understand right you want to bypass the server,
you could try a p2p im maybe waste or something.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

05-19-2008 11:56 PM
Hen

O.P. RE: RE: question on ports
Hi,
I am not trying to bypass the server, I want to use it to send messages, however not using the messenger gui, but using another program. All, while the messenger client is logged on.
Any idea?
Polygamy doesn't seem to reject on port - really?
But when trying for example to run a terminal program, and then to open the same port, from another program, it doesnt let me, beacuse the port is used by another program...

... so it must stay the same and not be randomly generated, ala many game clients... - Could you explain? I didnt get it.

If you were able to hook into WLM, grab connection info  - By that you mean some sort of protocol monitor/sniffer, right?

..send it back..  - That's the hard stuff. You can listen and sniff the incoming data. But how do you send back? Cant use this port as I was thinking... (or am I wrong?)
Thanks.
05-20-2008 07:22 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hen
Hi,
I am not trying to bypass the server, I want to use it to send messages, however not using the messenger gui, but using another program. All, while the messenger client is logged on.
Any idea?
You're making it way harder than it is. Use the Messenger API and forget about ports, network sniffers and all that kind of stuff, that isn't going to work...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-21-2008 01:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hen

O.P. RE: question on ports
Hi,
I am doing it on purpose. I dont want to use the messenger API.
Still, any ideas, or are you sure its not going to work that way?
Thanks.
05-21-2008 08:31 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Why don't you want to use the Messenger API, especially if Messenger will always be running anyways?

But if you don't want to use the Messenger API, you need to write your own Messenger client from scratch. It means you need to study the protocol of Messenger and implement that in your own client.
05-21-2008 09:06 AM
Hen

O.P. RE: question on ports
That's excatly me question...
If I know the messenger protocol - can I send messages using this protoclo to the messenger server, and then to my buddies, while my messenger is on, and without doing authontication process again? send messages excatly to where the messenger which is on, sending its messages.
Let me explain:
1. Turn on messenger.
2. Wait until its on, after authonticaon.
3. Send string to the messenger server (same server receiving strings from messenger progarm)

can that work???
05-21-2008 12:13 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hen
That's excatly me question...
If I know the messenger protocol - can I send messages using this protoclo to the messenger server, and then to my buddies, while my messenger is on, and without doing authontication process again?
No.... Either you make your own client by studying the protocol and doing everything from scratch (and that includes using the proper servers and authentication processes, just like Messenger does, which is all very complicated, etc...)

Or either you simply use the Messenger API....

-----

Again, you are making it waaaaaaaay more difficult than it is for no reason what-so-ever. Simply use the Messenger API.
05-21-2008 02:32 PM
Hen

O.P. Huh?  RE: RE: question on ports
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Simply use the Messenger API.

Hi,
Trying also to look for the API, to test the simpler way, I had some troubles.
I didnt find any api for the messenger that is supported by microsoft.
Is there any?
I found this one:
http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archiv...06/09/17/4431.aspx
however it is no longer supported.
Also there is an API for web development, but I dont think it suits me:
http://dev.live.com/messenger/

What I want, is generally to use functions like in msg plus, but without the need for msg plus (Beacuse i want it to work parallel to the messenger, and not as part of it).
something like :Messenger.send("message), string = Messenger.receive etc'.

How does messenger plus enable those functions if there is no API?... Same "cool trick" that I currently need.

Thanks.

This post was edited on 05-26-2008 at 06:50 PM by Hen.
05-26-2008 09:09 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: