What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Think twice about bringing your iPod next time you're travelling

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Think twice about bringing your iPod next time you're travelling
Author: Message:
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Think twice about bringing your iPod next time you're travelling
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
the key word is potentially: it has the potential to be a pain in the ass but I can bet 100 dollars that it isn't going to be enforced in less than... say... 5-7 years.

So, by that same logic, I can say that "Everyone Wins!"... -_-

p.s. I don't intend to flame, I'm just expressing my view, sorry if I come off a bit strong, I do realize that you are expressing yours too, no harm in that :).

This post was edited on 05-30-2008 at 02:51 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
05-30-2008 02:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Think twice about bringing your iPod next time you're travelling
quote:
Originally posted by ipab
You need to understand that when people sign treaties, they are enforced or strict penalties ensue. Take the NAFTA for example, do you think that it's just a baseless agreement and isn't enforced?
Exactly. Obviously you didn't read the whole article Voldemort, esp. page 3 (its short)

You probably don't know about this issue either, but The US has also claimed that Canada has defied another treaty on softwood lumber, and the US put an embargo or something on all Canadian lumber products.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
05-30-2008 02:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
The thing with treaties is that, atleast in Canada, they do not require Parlimentary approval, that's what makes this situation dire.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
05-30-2008 02:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
ipab, i'm not saying that it won't be accepted here, i'm saying that it won't be applied simply because it would require a nice sum of money to be applied, and there are way more important matters than arresting people for the contents of their devices.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-30-2008 03:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=ae997868-220b-4dae-bf4f-47f6fc96ce5e

Its a pretty long article, but to summarize, boarder guards will have the ability to search digital devices for copyrighted materials if the proposed law as described is passed.

I, for one doubt this will ever happen, sounds like utter bullshit to me.

Anyways, discuss and share opinion
fyi, and to the others who think something like this is BS....

People who travel to the USA and who bring their laptop, or other electronic devices which can hold information (eg: photo cameras, cell phones, mp3 players, etc) can have their devices searched for any 'illegal' or 'terrorist' information.

This fact is not widely known by travelers, but USA boarder customs already do have that right and do have the right to temporary keep your devices for further study without search warrants or probable cause! And there are even already douzens of cases where people did not have their device returned.

And although there is some outcry against it, and eventhough they have had some lawsuits against this practice, the TSA and customs officials have never been convicted because of this.

And yep, Val, if they think you're a treat to national security or they have the slightest reason to believe you are holding back info or are carrying illegal info, they can stop you from traveling and/or arrest you. They are not going to uphold a plane, they simply stop you from boarding it, simple as that.

This is already so since a few years.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
But why would they search EVERYONE's ipods and laptops etc.. it's just not practical, think of the time it would take.

Sorry it's not going to happen.
Since when is that a reason for not passing a law like this?

It is not because they can't practically search everyone's device, that they wont search some devices and that there is a big possebility that they will search YOUR device.

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
The fact that annoys me the most is that a third party watchdog site had to leak the details about this plan. Otherwise, us as residents, would never have known about it. It just scares me as to how secretive this all is.
erm, I bet there is nothing secret about it at all. The thing is you probably don't read the proper channels.

Of course I don't know how it exactly works in Canada, but I would assume it is pretty much the same in each country. For example, if we don't read our national State Magazine (free translation from "Belgisch Staatsblad" because I wouldn't know how to translate it otherwise :p) we only would know about new laws and bills when they are covered on the news. The National State Magazine includes all the new, changed laws and other goverment stuff people should know.

Of course, there is no person here who reads that boring crap (except for lawyers and stuff), so the 'only' way we have to know about new laws or laws which are worked upon, or whatever is to watch the news or maybe some special dedicated watchdogs (who have their info from that state magazine or who have reporters who watch such stuff), etc.

The point is there is probably absolutely nothing "secret" about it at all. Laws and bills are always published in one way or the other, otherwise what is the point of them?

This post was edited on 05-31-2008 at 08:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2008 07:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

This seems to not only pertain to Canada. :)
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6555 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes, 9 seconds ago.

05-31-2008 09:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
fyi, and to the others who think something like this is BS....

People who travel to the USA and who bring their laptop, or other electronic devices which can hold information (eg: photo cameras, cell phones, mp3 players, etc) can have their devices searched for any 'illegal' or 'terrorist' information.

This fact is not widely known by travelers, but USA boarder customs already do have that right and do have the right to temporary keep your devices for further study without search warrants or probable cause! And there are even already douzens of cases where people did not have their device returned.

And although there is some outcry against it, and eventhough they have had some lawsuits against this practice, the TSA and customs officials have never been convicted because of this.

And yep, Val, if they think you're a treat to national security or they have the slightest reason to believe you are holding back info or are carrying illegal info, they can stop you from traveling and/or arrest you. They are not going to uphold a plane, they simply stop you from boarding it, simple as that.

This is already so since a few years.
That's true, and all. The USA border's custom can check your car, and if they find pirtated DVDs, they give you a HUGE fine (around 9,000 per DVD, it was on the news), and you lose your visa...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-31-2008 09:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Think twice about bringing your iPod next time you're travelling
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I'm planning on going on a 14hour roundtrip plane ride (first plane ride :banana:) next month.
14 hour plane trips are not as awesome as you may think... :p
06-01-2008 03:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: