What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Should Gordon Brown Resign

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Should Gordon Brown Resign
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Should Gordon Brown Resign
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
we can complain about the NHS, but thats only because we (or they) really realised it was going tits up too late. if it changed to something similar to the US system, the country would be fucked. so really, we should be glad to have the NHS, as crap as we say it is.

I agree, it is actually more expensive to buy health insurance in the USA than to pay tax towards the NHS. I feel lucky that we don't have a privatised system, as it leads to corruption and the richer getting more rich.
06-30-2008 10:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
we can complain about the NHS, but thats only because we (or they) really realised it was going tits up too late. if it changed to something similar to the US system, the country would be fucked. so really, we should be glad to have the NHS, as crap as we say it is.

I agree, it is actually more expensive to buy health insurance in the USA than to pay tax towards the NHS. I feel lucky that we don't have a privatised system, as it leads to corruption and the richer getting more rich.
Indeed, the NHS system is a good one.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-30-2008 10:54 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
Well, re: the NHS, well someone's obviously done something right since it's celebrating it's 60th anniversary this year!

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

I mean, if you compare him to his Scottish counterpart (First Minister Alex Salmond), then he's in an awful position. A large majority of Scottish people (forgot what the English think about him, it's nothing to do with them - but we have to deal with Brown as well) think he is the bee's knees.

Think who's the bee's knees? Brown or Salmond?

And the scots all know the SNP only won cause of the way that stupid election was run with about 3 different voting systems that the voters didn't understand which resulted in thousands of papers being wasted, therefore is the scottish government what the people want?

What Scotland needs is a Lion King moment; that is, Jack McConnell needs to be hit over the head while he's commissioner in Africa or some place, come back and take his rightful place as Scottish Labour leader and lead the Scottish people back!

Anyways, slight deviation there. Back to the topic (a)

This post was edited on 07-01-2008 at 07:19 AM by Vazza.
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7267 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes, 3 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
07-01-2008 07:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
You must be crazy? Jack McConnell was not a good leader.

The voting system was not complicated at all. I mean, considering one of the votes explicitly stated who you wanted to become first minister then it's hard to say people preferred someone else. Of course, there are parts of this country where I'd expect the average IQ to be below about 50.

I have a feeling the Scottish Parliament itself is a running joke in Westminster. I mean, it won by a landslide vote. But then, all those people who've never voted on anything before in their life more than likely voted "Yes" to devolution because the BBC decided to air Braveheart the night before. What better way to inspire Scottishness?
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-01-2008 07:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The Additional Member System is complicated, it uses two different types of electoral system, first-past-the-post for constituency level and the supplementary vote for parliament. It is also possible to tactically vote using the system. I hardly know it's workings, never mind the Scottish electorate :P.
07-02-2008 12:09 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: