What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MSN Live freezing on one e-mail only

MSN Live freezing on one e-mail only
Author: Message:
krystynka

O.P. Huh?  MSN Live freezing on one e-mail only
We have 3 e-mails that we use for MSN Live. Two of them work fine, the one started freezing. Sometimes it causes the whole computer to freeze up, sometimes if you are patient (not very) you can finally get it closed again by trying to use CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Now I came across a message on here of someone who had the same problems. He could not get access using his primary adress but others worked fine. Someone mentioned that it was because of off-line messages. This very well could be the problem because when we got it to open up halfway, two off-line messages popped up but we couldn't read them or get them to close.

Does anyone have a cure for this? I uninstalled Live Messenger and reinstalled but it makes no difference. It seems to me in the other question the originator said "my friend removed the offline messages and it works fine" but he didn't explain HOW this happened.

Someone else gave all these instructions for things to go in and remove in different folders but one was called "contacts" and I freaked out because I thought it would erase all the contacts. I am NOT computer literate, I am a user but I don't understand how it all works so need step-by-step instructions for dummies which I will try when I get home.

TIA if anyone can offer me advice.

K
06-12-2008 02:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Live freezing on one e-mail only
Change the display method of offline messages from Messenger menu>Tools>Options>Messages>Offline Messages>Show the link of my offline messages in the main window. Other than that, you cannot remove offline messaging from WLM afaik.

Also delete your contacts cache by doing this: Messenger menu>Tools>Options>Security>This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, personal message and display picture here. Tick this option and sign out. Now, the contacts cache should be deleted from your computer and will be downloaded back from the server when you sign in again.

Note that all these things can be done after you can successfully sign in with that problematic address. If your Messenger freezes constantly with that address and you cannot access the Options window, then I can only help with deleting the contacts cache* folders from Windows itself.

(*)
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Definition of cache:
A small, fast memory holding recently accessed data, designed to speed up subsequent access to the same data.

It's safe to delete the cache. It won't affect your contacts list and it fixes a lot of problems with contacts.
06-12-2008 04:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: