What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ..helppp? (Vista laptop acting up)

..helppp? (Vista laptop acting up)
Author: Message:
Dillan.

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. Tongue  ..helppp? (Vista laptop acting up)
My laptop's been acting up since Monday, it took ages to send messages to the contacts I was talking to on WLM, but I didn't think anything of it. Today I turned the laptop on, normal vista start-up. I click on my name and log in, and then the task bar is grey, and is on the Windows Classic theme, and I tried to change it to.. aero black (I think thats what it is..) and it says it can't because it's corrupt or something. I look at the icon in the corner of my taskbar to see if there's any internet connection. It turns out that there isn't, so I double clicked on the icon for the router signal and then it loaded the window and stuff, BUT- it turns out it can't detect the fucking router, or any others for that matter.. so I couldn't use the internet to help me find out whats wrong with it earlier on.. I basically have NO idea how to fix it. I wanted to see if i could reset it back to when it wasn't acting up, and it can't for some reason...soo.. can anybody help me with this? & if it's any help, the laptop's a vista vostro 1000 that I got about 2 months ago because I spilt a bottle of pepsi over the keyboard of my old laptop.. =P I can't think of anything new that's been  downloaded recently what could have made it run as slow as it was. Yesterday I ran a full scan with AVG and it was fine. I've had to resort to using ebuddy to talk to people. I really need help with this though, so.. help plz? =P

This post was edited on 06-17-2008 at 06:56 AM by WDZ.
06-13-2008 07:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
^_^

ayy caramba!

RE: ..helppp?
mmm thats really weird... try to use system restore and restore it back to a date when it worked fine. do you have service pack 1 (sp1) installed? ..if u dont have it, try to install it to see if it fixes the problem
06-17-2008 02:24 AM
Dillan.

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: ..helppp?
I have service pack 1 installed on it, and i've tried restoring it back to a point when it wasn't weird, but it continues to say that it can't be restored because it's either the wrong version, or that it can't be restored. I think i'll have another try formatting it yet again later on.
06-17-2008 06:27 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
RE: ..helppp?
Yeah reformating it would work.... And you wouldnt loose any files, but still, you shouldnt have to.

By any chance have you tried to install a Windows Theme program? Because if any of them try to modify your SP1 theme files it sorta goes haywire.....

And as well it sounds like you MAY have a virus or some spyware.

So try booting up in safemode with networking(Hold down F8 While starting computer). And then seeing if the internet works then, if it doesnt, you can accsess your router by typing in "10.1.1.1" into your browser. And scan for virus's/spyware with your spyware/virus software in safemode. Because some nasty malware can sort of hide themselves.....
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
06-17-2008 06:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: ..helppp? (Vista laptop acting up)
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Yeah reformating it would work.... And you wouldnt loose any files
I think the whole idea of reformatting is that you do lose all your files.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-17-2008 07:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
I think he meant the "repair" function.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
06-17-2008 07:55 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
No, i mean "Re-install" Vista function.

Which is my aka when i say formating.... but unclear, probably should stop.

Anyway. when you reinstall windows(not repair) you dont not loose any files, it moves everything into a folder called Windows.old.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
06-17-2008 09:04 AM
Dillan.

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: ..helppp? (Vista laptop acting up)
Ah, thanks. I've managed to get it to work now, I managed to format it. But I have another problem, when I press the power button to turn it off, it fucks up. I sorta managed to get a quick photo of what it looks like when it's fucking up, but it isn't very good; see?.. & closer up And yet, the laptop's been set to shut down when the power button is pressed when the laptop is on, so i'm clueless on why it's doing that. If anyone could explain what's happening, or how to stop it from doing what it is, i'd be very grateful.
06-22-2008 03:17 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: