What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Wrong version downloading

Wrong version downloading
Author: Message:
fabulais

O.P. Wrong version downloading
Hi - I've read through the sticky topics and tried various searches, and cannot seem to find anything... apologies if I'm mistaken! :)

Anyway, I've just tried downloading the latest version of messenger plus. However when I try to install I get a message saying

quote:
"this version of messenger plus requires windows xp or above. press ok to d/l a version suitable for your operating system." 

When I press ok, then installation continues, but with the lower version of messenger plus (version 3.6).  I installed it anyway and restarted messenger like it said to.  The plus! tab is present on my messenger window, yet the only thing it opens up is labelled "compatibility info". Clicking on this produces the message

quote:
This version of messenger plus is not compatible for windows live messenger. You can check if a compatible version is available by pressing check for updates.

I click on "check for updates" and it tells me nothing is available.

I'm using Windows XP, Messenger version 2008, and messenger plus 4.6

Hope that made at least a bit of sense?! Again, sorry if there is a similar thread posted elsewhere. If there is, then I can't find it!

Cheers, Ash :)
06-11-2008 06:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Wrong version downloading
Check if your Messenger's exe is set to be in a compatibility mode. Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger* and right click on msnmsgr.exe and click on Properties. Click on Compatibility tab and check if the "Run this program under the following compatibility mode:" is ticked or not. If yes, then untick it, OK and try installing Messenger Plus! Live again.

(*) The drive letter C: and Program folder may differ in your computer.

This post was edited on 06-12-2008 at 02:38 PM by ahmetgns.
06-12-2008 02:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ahmetgns may be right, in sense people try and sign into older or newer versions using that technique. Have you used Messenger Plus! Live in the past and have you had similar problems?
06-12-2008 04:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dcpchen

I'm getting the exact same problem. The "Run this program in compatibility mode" is not checked for msnmsgr.exe.

Could it be that Messenger Plus is not able to detect XP SP3? 'Cause I recently downloaded that...
06-17-2008 03:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
MP!L should be with with XP SP3.

Try going to Add/Remove Programs, then go to Messenger Plus! Live and when the uninstaller appears, click Repair Messenger.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-17-2008 05:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
MP!L should be with with XP SP3.

Try going to Add/Remove Programs, then go to Messenger Plus! Live and when the uninstaller appears, click Repair Messenger.
Because dspchen cannot install Messenger Plus! Live, he cannot access to its uninstaller. He may try repairing Messenger itself but I don't think this will solve the problem.

It looks like the problem is independent from the Messenger itself.
06-17-2008 08:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: