What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.
Author: Message:
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
O.P. torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.
what are the chances of me getting thrown out by my ISP if i torrent? ive been thinking about it for a while, and my dad had a go at me for using my comp too much, and he's convinced im doing something dodgy. (A)

but im just wondering: assuming my ISP did take action, would i get a kind letter kindly telling me im a cock for wasting their time and resources, and this is a warming before they chuck me, or will they just disconnect me without warning?

im on talktalk (UK) and i dont think theyre on that "3 strikes and youre out" scheme. i dont download that much i dont think, (using my download meter) since 1st of june ive downloaded 9161MB(8.496GB) but that includes browsing, wlm, IRC, updates on programs etc, so its not all torrents, and im the only person on this computer.

i really dont want suggestions or opinions on moving to another ISP company, or anyone telling me "this" or "that" is better, and i should join because im not paying for it and dont have a choice on what were using.

i would imagine theyd look out for people using certain ports or sites a lot that are associated with illegal downloads, along with the fact that they seem to be downloading at 4am as well as 4pm but i dont really know much about it. still it would be nice to know what im getting myself into, doing illegal things and all =p

also, im not promoting illegal downloads im just asking what are the entailments and dangers ISP-wise of it. i guess its not just for my benefit

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-19-2008 06:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.
At home i'm on AOL (tee hee hee) which is owned by Carphone Warehouse (the parent company of Talk Talk), and when I was at home, I downloaded loads of stuff, but I never got cut off or anything.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-19-2008 06:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
I got no trouble from talktalk (at least regarding download content) whilst at my parents house.

Just encrypt your traffic, it should make it a little bit less detectable, nothing will ever make you invisible to them, and yes you should get a letter, or phonecall before any serious action as a warning, worst comes to worse they cannot prove it's you, using your net.

Depends what you download too, American pop and rock is obviously the most targeted (RIAA etc) But not heard of many/any problems from metal,dance or jazz scenes. Big blockbuster Movies are sometimes targets too but then again, not always, depends on distributor/studio. Dunno if the 1 legal backup is still plausible, apart from OINK there's not been too much troubles in UK with torrents and such 'cyber crime'

In short you should be safe, just don't over do it/your download limits.

I always think it'd be wise to have one of those huge space wireless networked hard drives for stuff anyway, as it'd be easier to 'not have one of them' if the police ever did come knocking, can keep it in some really obscure place/disguise it.

This post was edited on 06-19-2008 at 06:25 PM by aNILEator.
06-19-2008 06:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.
well, its cleared things up a lot, thanks, and im glad to heard metal isnt as big for downloading as other stuff, and most of the things i download is music, and the odd film if i like the look of it, else i rent it if i cba with the wait, but im not a prolific offender as such. i know people complain al the time, that its ruining the industry, but they rip you off anyway IMHO, and its only realy because i cant afford or be bothered saving up for something that i wont want in a few weeks :P

anywho, thanks. =]

06-19-2008 06:33 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Europe is not like America, your IP address is classed as private data, it cannot be transfered between companies legally, hence no priacy montering company can take direct action without breaking the law. Moreover, ISPs in the UK can send letters if they, personally find you downloading torrents, but they cannot prove what you did was actually illegal, or downloaded by you. Most of these contain empty threats, if just attempting to education you or scare you from doing it again.

Bittorent isn't illegal, ISPs cannot acuse you of downloading copyrighted material, just because you're using P2P networks.

The three strikes policy is not currently law yet either :P.
06-19-2008 06:39 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Quite an interesting read

Torrentfreak.com is your best place for all things torrent-news related.

But yeah, just encrypt your torrent traffic, and I don't think your isp is likely to be bothered unless you start downloading HUGE amounts of data.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-19-2008 10:30 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: torrents and stuff. bad title but meh.
with a 40GB limit, that might be a tad hard to do :P

06-19-2008 10:42 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
You'd be surprised!
06-20-2008 12:02 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
I can tell you it's very easy. I did once, and I'm not a "hard core downloader".
06-20-2008 12:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Read the fine print of your contract with your ISP. No matter if something is legal, if they state they don't allow it, then you can not do it since it is in the contract which you (your dad) signed and agreed to.

So, read the fine print, you could be surprised what they CAN do. eg: it is quite possible that they simply can disconnect you without any first warning, just as a precaution...

Keep a good track of how much you upload/download and never go over your limit and you'd be safe though.

P2P networks are not illegal (unless it is stated in the fine print that they don't allow it, but I never heared of an ISP doing that). It is the content you upload/download which matters.

As for using a wireless network drive to store stuff and 'hide' it: When it comes to that and the police does come, they will have a search warrant and they will turn your house upsidedown. They wont phone you upfront either, they will simply suddenly stand at your doorstep leaving you no time to 'hide' anything. But, unless you're not doing any super illegal stuff, it would never come to that  of course. I'm just saying don't think you can outsmart them.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-20-2008 02:31 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: