What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » New way to find out who blocked you

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New way to find out who blocked you
Author: Message:
^_^

ayy caramba!

O.P. New way to find out who blocked you
Hey i found a trick on a website that more or less tells you if someone blocks you... its not a block checker program or something...to find out if a person blocked you.. just see the profile of that person and go to profile details..it normally shows "web appearance" and "messenger appearance" but if someone blocked you, you only view "web appearance" and you dont see messenger appearance. I tried it myself opening 2 msn at the same time and blocked myself in one and then   viewed my profile, then i unblocked myself and viewed my profile again and it WORKED!. i posted a pic to show you how it works. maybe some of you will say that it doesnt work or that is useless but just try it by yourselves with 2 msn and you will see, besides it has worked quite good for me and i asked some ppl to block me so i could use the trick and it worked. hehe

.jpg File Attachment: block.jpg (53.28 KB)
This file has been downloaded 848 time(s).
06-21-2008 04:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New way to find out who blocked you
As usual: It will not work...

There are contacts of which you do not have access to view their profile. Other contacts might just be offline, etc... In all these cases you could see the exact same thing as what you showed in your screenshot as being 'blocked'; the Messenger-identity section will not be shown in all those cases.

Meaning: when you don't see their Messenger-identity section, it does NOT, I repeat NOT, automatically mean they have you blocked.

Then there ARE cases where (offline) contacts didn't have you blocked, yet you will still see their Messenger-identity section.

Meaning: when you do see their Messenger-identity section, it does not automatically mean they are online.

---

It has everything todo with how that contact has set up the access rights of the different sections of his profile page. And you do not have any influence on those settings.

In other words, it is a no better method than what block checkers do, and thus THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW IF YOU ARE BLOCKED.

Accept it and live with it...

This post was edited on 06-21-2008 at 05:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2008 05:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
^_^

ayy caramba!

O.P. RE: New way to find out who blocked you
No, if a contact blocks you, you dont have access to his/her profile thats why it doesnt show the messenger appearance. Anyone can view a profile (web appearance) but messenger appearece  IS NOT shown when a contact blocks you, it doesnt care if the contact is online or offline....the "access rights" that you say cannot prevent you from viewing the web appearance, only from viewing the msn appearence. meaning: if you cant view the messenger appearance its because you arent in the contact's allow list. meaning this trick actually works like 80% of the cases.

In the screenshot, i did the trick with both accounts offline, i just blocked and unblocked and thats what the profile showed, i did it with 2 separate pcs each pc with a msn account. thats why i tell you that it has nothing to do with online or offline status. only with the access to view the messenger appearence, which depends on the allow list.

This post was edited on 06-21-2008 at 06:34 PM by ^_^.
06-21-2008 06:21 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Cookie is right, you can customize who is able to see sections of your profile.

So yes this method can 'work' but it is unreliable and is not a sure fire solution for everyone.
06-21-2008 06:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ^_^
No, if a contact blocks you, you dont have access to his/her profile thats why it doesnt show the messenger appearance. Anyone can view a profile (web appearance) but messenger appearece  IS NOT shown when a contact blocks you
1) No, not everyone can view a profile, that depends on the access rights set by the contact.

2) The Messenger-appeareance is also not shown when the contact has restricted you from viewing it, even if he/she is online!!.

3) The Messenger-appeareance can be shown even if the contact is offline!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ^_^
the "access rights" that you say cannot prevent you from viewing the web appearance
Yes they can.

quote:
Originally posted by ^_^
meaning: if you cant view the messenger appearance its because you arent in the contact's allow list. meaning this trick actually works like 80% of the cases.
wrong, it can mean a whole lot of other things too.

You can not test something like this in just two of your accounts and then comming to the conclussion it works. It doesn't... It depends on the different privacy and access settings in Windows Live Spaces and on the privacy/allow settings of Windows Live Messenger. Plus it depends on the syncronization speed of Windows Live Spaces and Messenger, which isn't always accurate either.

The reason why it appears to be working is because you _knew_ you blocked the other account because you did it yourself, and it happened to not show the Messenger appeareance info. But there are many more cases where the Messenger appeareance info isn't shown...

The fact that the Messenger appeareance could be hidden, even if the contact has not blocked you, makes that you can never say that a contact has blocked you!!!! The best you can say is: "he _MAY_ have blocked me, but it may also be that I simply can't see his Messenger-appeareance info".

Note that this is so for _ALL_ contacts since you can NOT know what the reason is why you can't see the Messenger appeareance info; You can not know upfront what settings or restrictions the contact has set on his profile and in Messenger to properly interpret what you see or not see on his profile!!! In other words, this does not even work 80% of the time, it NEVER works! It is pure guess work as everything depends on the state of those settings which you can not verify in any way.

This is also true for the other way around; In certain cases the Messenger appeareance is still shown, even if the contact is offline!!! This means that, when you see the Messenger appeareance info, you can't say that the contact is online but has blocked you because you see him offline in Messenger!!!

This post was edited on 06-21-2008 at 07:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2008 07:09 PM
Butcher_ss

38 / Male / Flag
My humble opinion is that people try too much to see who has them blocked and who doesn't. It's actually quite simple to find who has you blocked or not, just look at the people you might have pissed or annoyed and whether they are regurarly signing to msn or not. If they were signing in regurarly and not anymore then HINT HINT, they either have you blocked, signed as appearing offline or don't sign in at all.

This post was edited on 06-22-2008 at 04:58 AM by Butcher_ss.
06-22-2008 04:52 AM
Aeryn

– / Female / –
RE: RE: New way to find out who blocked you
quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
My humble opinion is that people try too much to see who has them blocked and who doesn't. It's actually quite simple to find who has you blocked or not, just look at the people you might have pissed or annoyed and whether they are regurarly signing to msn or not. If they were signing in regurarly and not anymore then HINT HINT, they either have you blocked, signed as appearing offline or don't sign in at all.

Couldn't agree more. One just needs to be observant.
06-22-2008 10:28 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
To add to this, if you're blocked, there's most likely a reason for it. So perhaps you need to think about your behaviour more than methods (that won't work anyway) to find out if you're getting "punished" for your behaviour.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-22-2008 11:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Butcher_ss

38 / Male / Flag
Yeah, methods that usually involve giving out your password and email address to a "block checker" website.
06-23-2008 04:50 PM
andyman35

I came across a simple method that appears to show who has you blocked.

"There is a way believe it or not. Go to 'Tools' then click options. Click on the privacy option. Now there will be a list of your contacts. If you right click on them and  delete is an available option (not greyed out), then they have blocked you."

This post was edited on 07-14-2008 at 04:34 PM by andyman35.
07-14-2008 04:31 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: